The world's most popular metal finishing site, and striving to be the internet's friendliest corner

topic 19039 p5

How to restore antique cook stoves, p5

Jacobs Manufacturing wood stove
Carole Lowe's
"Jacobs Manufacturing" stove
Brand Stove wood stove
Ron Slater's
"Brand Stove Co."

< Prev. page          (You're on the last page of the thread)

Q. I have a very old cast iron cook stove it was made in Chattanooga Tennessee. I have searched over and over for pictures like my stove and can't find any at all. But I am wondering is there a place that sales cast iron replacement parts for antique cook stove I only need to pieces and rather not have it brazed cause last time someone tried to braze it wasn't done right. So would rather find the replacement parts for the stove.

Anne Davidson-Lamb
- Hilham, Tennessee, united States of America

Grates for Home Comfort Wood Cookstove (cream and green)

Q. I own a beautiful green and cream Home Comfort Wood Cookstove; ? of model but looks like AE1927. The stove has some broken side grates and I need replacement grates for these. I would appreciate any help in locating these grates. Thank you very much,

Carolyn C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
owner of beautiful stove - Pembroke, Virginia USA

Readers: If you want this thread to be more than just a place to add another unanswered question to a long list, be the change you'd like to see!

The editors can help with some of the metal finishing questions, but no wood stove historians are standing by in the wings; there are only hundreds of other readers with similar questions. You'll have to post what you know and engage in a dialog, to help build a helpful resource if that's what you want :-)

If you want a free website with people standing by to help you out unilaterally, that approach doesn't seem to be working :-(

Q. I purchased a Kalamazoo Presidential coal/wood cook stove. Does anyone have an installation manual or advice as to a thru the wall installation?

jean Smith
- Shunk, Pennsylvania USA

I am looking for parts for a Jewel Enterprise wood burning cook stove. Where can I find parts??

Edwin Dixon
UAB - Cullman, Alabama USA

Q. I have found a Moore's Bro. Cook stove. It is in bad condition. It's cream/green porcelain or enamel. It would be beautiful and I would love it if I knew I could repair it. Anyone have any info. On this stove?

Marlene Tackett
Hobbist/user - Morehead, Kentucky

A. Homestead Vintage Stove Company has many hard to find parts for these antique wood ranges: Monarch, Majestic, Home Comfort, Cribben & Sexton Universal, and a few others.

Rex Bakel
Homestead Vintage Stove Company - Centralia, Washington USA

Q. I have old wood parlor stove each piece is marked Glen w p 1903,1903 5 1903 2 3 etc. I am not having lot of luck figuring out how to assemble all the parts or if it is a remanufactured piece or a nice find. Please help.

Harold J Caudill
- Goshen Indiana USA

Q. Does anyone know where to gets parts for a antique stove it's a madador need wood grate and porcelain squares for the warmer box on top shelf. Also porcelain piece for left side door. Help. Thanks

Roberta Padilla
- Bernalillo, New Mexico USA

A. Hi Roberta. Dave B suggested in 2006 going to any local foundry for the cast iron parts. Erica D reinforced this on January 11, 2008 by saying that people with parts on hand generally don't want to sell them because they want to sell a whole stove. I mentioned two possible sources of parts on October 29, 2013, and three more possible places in April 2015, and Rex Bakel mentioned yet another on January 9, 2017 :-)

Please contact a couple of them and tell your fellow stove owners what these places said about your parts.

Q. I have recently come into possession of a Martin Stove & Range "Junior" no 7-14 A stove. It is missing a few parts unfortunately. Can I replace the firebox grate with a steel one? I don't want to run the risk of it expanding and damaging the stove, but it will be much easier to get one made out of steel since I don't have a mold. Thanks.

Glen Buss
- Roy, Utah, USA

A. Hi Glen. The coefficient of expansion of steel is only 5-10% higher than that of cast iron. I wouldn't foresee any issues with any drop-in parts.

Q. Hi I just scored a beautiful Monarch Cook Stove and need to restore it. So I have 2 questions. One how do I remove the shaker grate from the stove? I can't find any manuals, free or to purchase. And second, the shaker grate is a little warped; it still rotates but is a little janky. Should I replace it and where should I get one. I've heard there are places that do new casts of them. Any ideas anyone. It would be much appreciated. Thank you for any wisdom you can throw my way.

Katina Emrick
- Grants Pass, Oregon

Q. Have a Quick Meal wood stove and need a top for it . It is the one that goes over the fire box It's 11 1/4 x 23 1/4 Has 2 holes

Hodiak Clay Ewing
Hodiak Outfitters - Arboles Co. USA

Q. Where can I find information on Malleable Range Co. Copperclad model PB83-BM2 to restore wood cooking stove?

Clyde Harvey
retired - Wapella Illinois U.S.A.

A. Hi Clyde. If you just put that company name and model number into Google, there is a lot of general info, and you can even pay for expert answers. But on this site you need to ask a specific question, and we focus on the metal finishing aspects, rather than valuations, history, or stuff like that. Good luck.

A. I just read through the three pages of this thread and did not see anyone mention Lehman's Hardware out of Kidron, Ohio. They cater to the non electric customer and sell cookstoves and have a parts section.
https://www.lehmans.com/category/stove-parts

jerry_smith
Jerry Smith
Little Falls Alloys, Inc. - Bloomingdale, New Jersey, USA

Q. Hello, I have an old Keeley pot belly stove. I am going to refinish it, and was looking for any help guidance, or manual if anybody has one. I am also looking for firebricks for it as well. Does anybody have any information or tidbits that can help or guide me in the right direction. Marking on the stove "No. Belle 12"

Ryan Kumerow
- Sterling, North Dakota USA

HAVE A HOME COMFORT RANGE, MODEL EA AND SERIAL NUMBER 69441. NEEDING 2 CAST IRON GRATES FOR FIRE BOX WITH NUMBER 3006. ANY INFORMATION ON WHERE I CAN FIND THESES?

RITA KNECHT
- MONTICELLO, Florida

Supreme cast iron stoves

Q. I am missing a fire door on a stove I just got; where can I find replacement parts?

Bill Stephens
- Greenwood, florida USA

Q. I have an antique cast iron stove. It has been updated for electric and is no longer wood burning. What type paint would be best?

Melanie Hargis
- Victoria, Texas, USA

A. Hi Melanie, personally I wouldn't paint a stove, electric or otherwise. So much goes into this, from surface prep, masking off, choosing an appropriate paint, buying equipment to do it, learning how to use a spray gun if you haven't used one before- it's a massive effort for minimal return, and unless you are a professional (or send it to one), you may not even like the results, and it could de-value the stove.

HOWEVER... a woodstove restoration polish is right up your alley! It will bring back the satiny black of clean and well maintained cast iron, and protect the stove from rust. Also, it's dead easy to use- literally just rub it in with a rag, wipe off the excess, and heat up your stove to finish setting it. The surface prep for stove polish is also easy; a steel brush to coax off any rust you've got is all you need unless the thing is REALLY rusty, but I'm guessing yours isn't.

Stove polish is super forgiving! One kind that pretty much everyone likes is Rutland William's Stove Polish. There's a very dark grey version that looks most original on stoves, and a black version that is ideal for ornamental wrought iron gates etc, depending on your preference. They have it on Amazon and detailed instructions and before-and-after pics are in the reviews.

I used it on my working Victorian kerosene parlor stove that was getting a little tired and had some surface rust starting, and it looks a million times better.
Good luck with your project!

rachel_mackintosh
Rachel Mackintosh
Plating Solutions Control Specialist / Industrial Metals Waste Treatment - Brattleboro, Vermont

Q. I am looking for a oven door hinge and firebox liners for a majestic wood stove!

Douglas Redden
Redden Const. - Stuart, Virginia

Copper Clad Stove with propane burners (Malleable Iron Co)

Q. My situation:
On my in-laws' Farm house (ND) they have a Copper-Clad Stove/Oven # 4122-CGR that has wood burning capabilities as well as Propane adapted burners. I need to rebuild the propane burners (jets, etc.) Any info. on replacement parts, etc., for this particular product?

Marv Aardahl
DIY Handyman - Saugus, California USA

silly :-)  I have an 1809 Home Comfort Cast Iron Cook Stove with original manual. In the Manual it tells you 'how you should treat your slaves while they are cooking on it.'

Amber Amburgey
- Fredericksburg Virginia

Q. I just picked up a prizer stove trying to figure out year and model, and if parts are available for it.

19039-12c   19039-12b   19039-12a  

Andrew Kuch
- NEW EAGLE Pennsylvania

Q. I am in the process of refinishing my ancestors old Garland Wood cook stove. The firewalls are burnt out, missing. I am looking for somebody/ some place that could manufacture parts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Teri Norell
- Meridian, idaho USA

Does 1930's range have asbestos?

Q. My husband bought me a beautiful antique range for Christmas. It's a Detroit Star brand and looks very similar to the mom's stove from "Christmas Story". I'm assuming it's from the 1930s. It's in great condition but still needs some TLC to get it in working condition. My question is - do we need to be concerned about asbestos? I'm not sure what was used as insulation for these stoves back then and want to take every precaution before we start any work on it.

I found the same model at this auction site for reference:
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3861561
19039-danaB

Thank you!

Dana Bowie
- Harpers Ferry, West Virginia USA

Q. I have an old Carolina Glascock Stove #88 that has a broken leg. I would to find and buy a leg or set from someone of similar Stove #88.

Ronnie Carswell
home owner - Morganton, North Carolina USA

Q. Hello , I bought a Scanlan & Company wood burning stove Number 25 With Louisville KY on the door. I cannot find any information on this stove. Any knowledge about the stove would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Charles Hays
na - Rineyville, Kentucky, America

Q. Do you have any tips for restoring chipped enamel on an old Home Comfort woodstove?
Sharon
North Carolina

Sharon G Troxler
- Brown Summit, North Carolina, USA

Readers: Please see also thread 13218 "Restoring Nickel Plating on Wood Cookstove",
and thread 11428 "Restoring a cast iron wood stove completely covered in rust".