World's #1 finishing resource since 1989
No brand or sourcing suggestions PLEASE!
Apologies. We usually can't post brand/source suggestions (except clearly labeled advertisements) --
- "Render unto Google ..." Google offers 'live' sourcing whereas finishing.com is a permanent reference. Inserting sources/links on our pages leaves us facing the huge job of searching daily for broken links on a quarter million postings going back to 1989 or letting the site devolve to a wasteland of broken links.
- People are only human; seeing a competitor praised here leads to a race to the bottom -- the opposite of the Aloha we're trying to spread :-(
- This site is made possible by supporting advertisers. How can they tell their boss they're paying for a forum where competitors pay zero but steer customers away from those paying for it?
- "Internet advertising price/demand curve: Infinite demand at zero cost, infinitesimal demand at infinitesimal cost"
- Spambot computers tirelessly try to post here 24 hours a day.
- Other companies do computerized scans for keywords, then pay people to recommend their products wherever the computers found a related thread.
- Proposing private contact disenfranchises the other readers. If you have info to share, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org for public posting so everyone can continue to follow the discussion.
- This "no registration" website makes it easy & safe to join the discussion -- but easy for shills to pose as satisfied customers (many times the IP address of a 'satisfied customer' was the same as the vendor's website).
- Likewise, we can't prove that slams are from actual users, so we're not protected from legal action and have been threatened several times. But posting praise but not criticism would be very misleading.
Please enjoy this site for its camaraderie & technical discussions; but for product reviews & brand recommendations please try Consumer Reports, BBBs, friends & neighbors, educational associations, and industry trade groups -- where you can trust the authenticity of commercial suggestions!
Thanks for your patience and understanding!