The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

topic 19039 p3

How to restore antique cook stoves, p.3

Jacobs Manufacturing wood stove
Carole Lowe's
"Jacobs Manufacturing" stove
Brand Stove wood stove
Ron Slater's
"Brand Stove Co."

< Prev. page          Next page >

Q. I have the same problem as Bonnie from California - "Underneath the cookplates I found disintegrating layers of asbestos."

My question is, once I have the layers properly removed and disposed, what do I replace it with? Is asbestos still used for these things or do I have an alternative?

It's a Quick Meal stove I just acquired, and it needs some TLC. It's mostly just dirty, has a little surface rust (mostly outside the water reservoir), and the problem underneath the cookplates.

Thanks in advance!

Brenda Roberts
- Columbus, Ohio, USA

June 13, 2012 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I just purchased an old wood cookstove that I plan on restoring and using to heat and cook with. It is in pretty good shape and was used up until 10 years ago. It was well cared for. How do I know if there is asbestos? That is my only concern. And what do I use for insulation? Where do I purchase it? There are spots in the insulation that is damaged, need to apply more.

Andrea Ricke
- Bagley, Minnesota, USA

December , 2012

A. Hi Brenda; hi Andrea. Some if not all such rope gasketing today is fiberglass and graphite/carbon rather than asbestos. See next inquiry please.

2007 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am trying to locate a source for rope gasket used between plates on a decorative cast iron wood burning stove I acquired some years ago. The stove is rectangular in shape with a forest scene on its sides. I do not know the manufacturer. Any suggestions on locating a source or the application of the gasket material once it is located?

Carolyn Desmond
- El Dorado, Kansas

Stove Gasket

A. Hi Carolyn. The rope gasket is usually a pretty "standard" item, rather than specific to the manufacturer. You can follow the link =>

for one source, but it should be widely available. Good luck.

Q. Hello, I have a small wood burning stove/heater, very old, I can't find anything like it on line, I need parts for it and I'm hoping one of you could help me identify and help me find a place with parts for it....It says number 115 Duro Oak....

Thanks for the opportunity

Beverly

Beverly Sessegolo
hobbyist - Easton Pennsylvania USA

Q. Hi I am looking for someone to tell me how to go about fixing the top of a 1864 Home Comfort wood/coal cookstove. There are cracks in the lids and top plates and it smokes. I need to find some way to repair it or find some parts so I can use it. It cooks and bakes beautiful. Please would someone have any ideas.

Joyce From West Virginia

Joyce Faulkiner
Homemaker - Bridgeport, West Virginia

A. Hi, Joyce.

A stove which smokes because it leaks is extremely dangerous both in terms of the possibility of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning. I would suggest that you visit a major fireplace shop and see what guidance they can offer. Often they will know local welders, glass cutters, firebrick providers, local vest-pocket foundries, etc. who are familiar with stove repair.

A. Most all of the old wood cook stoves are cast iron parts on a sheet metal box. Usually if not broken the cast iron parts can be cleaned up and/or replated and are as good as new. If the sheet metal box is in bad shape take it to a sheet metal shop and have them build you a new one on the old pattern then bolt the restored cast iron parts back on - good as new.

Dave Hohl
- Pinedale, Wyoming, USA

Q. Hello all! I am looking for information on a Cribben & Sexton Herald model #8-17. I believe that I have the majority of the parts, however I am not sure as I have been unable to find a photo of one. The scroll work on it is over the top for what one would expect. I was hoping to find some info. and rebuild it. The parts that I have are far too ornate to simply scrap! Any help would be muchly appreciated. Photos, mfg.date, replacement parts availability. Thank you good folks and have a great day!

Cribben & Sexton Herald wood stove parts -6  wood stove parts -7  wood stove parts -8  wood stove parts -9  wood stove parts -10  wood stove parts -11  wood stove parts -12  wood stove parts -13

Robert Backes
Hobbyist - Central Point Oregon U.S.A

Q. I'm trying to restore a Estate 6 burner stove. My problem is the cast iron that the round plates sit on is warped, and I need to find someplace to purchase 3 of them. Anyone know where I can find reproduction parts or what I can do to fix this.
Theressa

Theressa Tinnin
- Caliente, Nevada

Q. Hello my name is V beaver. I was given a very small wood cook stove that needs to be restored. It was made by Jacob Manufacturing Co, in Bridgeport Alabama. There is writing on the oven that says "Wonder". I have been looking for information but can't find any. This little stove has a burner that is made to keep hot cereals from burning, very different than any I have ever seen. If anyone knows where I can get any information on this stove please help!

Vicky Beaver
collector - Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA

Q. I have an old wood burning stove,trying to find info on it,it is a Spencer made by Spencer Foundation Co. Ltd. in Ontario.
The piece that holds the little door closed is broken off, and there is a very small crack in door, can this be fixed? Does anyone know approx. year of this stove, on the front is a number it is 105A or 705A, it is very clear but not sure if first no is a 7 or a 1. Would like to find more info on the stove, can't seem to find anything on the company?

George Lister
had stove for 30 years, - Calgary, AB, Canada

Q. I have a 1911 Barstow wood burning cook stove. Mfg. in Providence, R.I. I need to replace the rounded edged fire brick.
Where can I find this brick??

Paul Dumas
stove user - Woodland, Washington, USA

A. Hi, Paul.

I doubt that anyone sells firebrick pre-cut to fit a 1911 stove, but a concrete saw makes short work of shaping fire brick. I don't see why it can't be cut with a tile saw as well. Good luck.

Antique Pot Belly Stove

Q. Hello, I have an Antique Pot Belly Stove. However, it's painted shut. Can this be undone? Also, the handle for the top of the stove is missing. Can that piece be found somewhere? Thank You.

Kenny Stedman
consignment - Glen Cove, New York, U.S.A

Railroad Potbelly Stove 15

Q. I have already restored my pot belly wood burning stove and it was no big deal. The most frustrating part was finding out that wood burning stove parts, pipes, etc., are not interchangeable or universal. What I AM having trouble with is replacement parts! I need one little part that I can't seem to find. It's the ash door. It's for a PB65XL Railroad Potbelly stove, listed as part #65-16. Have not been able to find it anywhere. Would anyone happen to know where I can get one? I have improvised for now but really need to correct one. Live in a very rural area that hasn't even heard of an iron worker, per se, to have one custom made.

Railroad Potbelly Stove 16

Thanks for any help,

Allyson Newell
- Chandler, Arizona, USA

Q. I have an antique cast iron cook stove that belonged to my grandmother that I am wanting to restore. My family used to use the stove for heat and for cooking on a regular basis. On 3rd January of this year we had a house fire that destroyed everything except my grandmother's cast iron stove and her cast iron cookware. Once I get more settled I'm wanting to restore the stove and cookware.

Can I use the same suggestions that have already been given here on this stove or should I proceed with extra caution with both the stove and cookware since they've been through the house fire? I haven't gotten a chance to inspect the stove up close yet but the cookware was completely stripped of the seasoning (except one skillet that was sitting in another and the side of it was protected by the one it was sitting in) and I'm assuming the stove has as well. The stove has gone through a couple of good rain storms and a snow since the fire so I'm also assuming I will have to deal with rust in the restoration process.

Any tips and suggestions would be most appreciated as I really want to preserve this stove and the cookware as they all have great sentimental value to me.

Jennifer Gibson
- Murray, Kentucky, United States

Q. I have a very old pot belly wood stove that it in good condition other than the back, which appears to be sheet metal. What type of material should I use to replace it? Also on the front/bottom door there are several little windows 2x2 that have some type of material in them. Its not glass. I would also like to know where I could purchase these items.
thank you

Dan Tanis
Hobbyist - Muskegon, Michigan, USA

A. Hi, Dan. Hot rolled steel is probably what you are looking for for the back. A local weld shop probably stocks enough to complete the job to avoid the complexity of going to a steel warehouse.

If you don't describe these 2 x 2 items, I don't think anyone can hazard a guess as to what they are made of :-)
But if they are in fact "windows", then they are probably a glass-like transparent ceramic that goes by trade names like Pyroceram or Neoceram. My local glass shop stocks it and cuts replacement "glass" for woodburning stoves, and I think many glass shops will have it and be able to cut it.. Best of luck.

Q. My husband and I have tackled the task of refinishing an old wood cook stove to use. He completely disassembled the stove and is in the process of putting it back together. My question is, what to do to the actual cooking surface. Paint or not to paint? Condition it as you would a cast iron pan?

Brenda Rude
retired from health care - Marquette, Michigan US

A. Hi Brenda. There may a bit of a semantics issue here since I don't think people would fry bacon or eggs directly on this, without a pan, as if it were a griddle. If there actually is a griddle section, yes, it would need to be seasoned like a cast iron frying pan. But if the surface is one that you put a pan onto, then stove paint or stove polish is probably fine.

< Prev. page          Next page >

Readers: Please see also thread 13218 "Restoring Nickel Plating on Wood Cookstove",
and thread 11428 "Restoring a cast iron wood stove completely covered in rust".