topic 19039, page 2

How to restore antique cook stoves

Jacobs Manufacturing wood stove
Carole Lowe's
"Jacobs Manufacturing" stove
Brand Stove wood stove
Ron Slater's
"Brand Stove Co."

< Prev. page          Next page >

Q. I found an cast iron wood burning stove in Montana, it was in very bad condition(rust) and I wanted to bring it home with plans to clean it up. I want it back in working order. On the way back to California the part that holds on the front legs broke, Can Cast iron be welded at all, and if so how? I don't know anything about this stove except it is a 2 burner with a swinging front door and was made in Holland. It is in very bad condition, if anyone knows anything about the stove or helpful tips on re-finishing please help!

Katie Miller
hobbyist - El Dorado, California

Q. I just bought a Imperial Beaver Wood Stove at an auction; it is in fairly good condition. I'm questioning how do I take it apart? It was used for heat back in the 60's but hasn't been used since then. It is still attached to the pipe in the basement. Does it come apart in pieces or is it one piece?

Christine [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Watsontown Pennsylvania

Q. I just purchased a #15 Sun Oak round wood burner. It has white paint on it and I was going to power wash and burn some wood in it. Some of the pins (to the doors) are broke and some are corroded and seized together. I would really appreciate all suggestions, thanks EMJ

Edward James
- Mansfield, Louisiana, USA

Q. We just bought a Jacobs Cook stove. Very small. The metal tag on back says Jacob's Heater corporation, Athens Alabama. Model # 117 540. We were told it's Wood/coal stove. We would like to buy new fire brick for this and CANNOT seem to find where to get them. Also need a grate shaker handle.
Thanks for any help....it's really appreciated.

Theresa Simms
- Independence, Virginia, USA

Firebrick, pack of 6

A. Hi Theresa. I don't know how much it will help, but fire brick is very easily cut with a concrete saw. I don't see why a homeowner couldn't use a tile saw if it's big enough to accommodate the thickness of the firebrick. Just check that the brick is the right thickness for your stove, and cut to the shape you need. Good luck.

Q. Need a Picture of the Original Muscogee Wood/Coal Cook Stove No. 86-16. I bought a Muscogee Wood cook stove and need information about it I can find it on the net .. It's missing a door just under the oven ..and I would like to replace it with something that looks like the original.
Thanks for any help!

Janet Stuart
bought an old stove - Colville Washington

Q. Need more info on this Muscogee cook stove, looking at one that is up for sale. Looks to be in good complete condition (and how to post a picture of it).

Jan Kiker
Welding & Fabrication - Midland, Texas

----
Ed. note: e-mail the pic to , referencing letter 19039, please

Q. I have a Eureka wood burning kitchen cook stove. It was made by the -Eureka, steel range co. in O Fallon Ill. I think the model number is E8-4N. It need the slide part to the air regulator that mounts on the side. I think the stove is 80 to 100 years old. Help please?

JOE JOHNSON
HOBBYIST - MORONGO VALLEY, CALIFORNIA

Q. Hello, my name is Katherine. We recently got an old parlor stove from someone's field. It is in fairly good shape, but the double fold doors on one side will not open. They have a turn lock that is froze shut. We believe we can get the door off, but we will need to replace them. Any idea where to start looking for doors?

Katherine Brumley
accountant - Springfield, Missouri

Q. Have an old Canopy Fair wood cook stove (may have been coal). Two questions:
1. There is an elbow coming out the back of the fire box that has a thin oval metal plate that appears to have been blown out. Hence think it was used for coal and coal gas built up one time and exploded. If I intend on using just wood can I just weld a new plate over it?

2. Does anyone have any information on these stoves? Think that it was made in Royersford PA sometime in the late 1800 or early 1900's.

Tom in TN

Tom Cook
hobbyist, amateur blacksmith - Jonesborough, Tennessee

Q. I just bought an Antique Miniature BELANGER Barge 1906 Cast Iron Stove and with a copper metal brush (with a handle) and a jar of Vaseline amply applied, I was able to remove all the Rust spots and dirt/dust. I simply rubbed the vaseline off with a cloth after and it looks fabulous. Since its only a show piece, I don't have to worry about fumes/odors, not that there would be much anyway. I use Vaseline on any Cast Iron surfaces like Oil Lamp bases.etc... RER

R.E.Richard
- Ottawa, Canada

Q. Thank you for advising the antique wood stove conservation family.

My Eclipse 1894, wood stove is so unusual. It is covered with raised lilies or daffodils. I was afraid the sand blasting would damage the flowers that incircle the stove.

Beverly M. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Albany, Oregon

A. Hi Beverly. You're welcome, but my expertise is metal finishing, not stoves or stove restoration. I'm happy to provide the space, but readers have to help each other if they want this to work :-)

Iron is much much harder than rust, so with a little care it is possible to sandblast the rust without damaging the cast iron bas relief.

Q. This past summer we purchased an insert for our upstairs living room fireplace. We didn't have to do anything, but put it in. It works wonderfully!

We also purchased a Country Comfort CC815 freestanding woodburning stove/fireplace which is in our garage. We are unable to find any information on this product because it is so old.

My husband contacted Country Comfort and they didn't have any information on it. Everyone else just tells my husband that they don't have any information on it and that he needs to buy a new one!? We don't have any intentions of getting a different one. This is one 'solid' stove. It probably weighs around 800 lbs and we know that it will do the job, if set up correctly.

Our issue is that we need to know what the inside originally looked like. We are unable to find any pictures. The stove doesn't seem to be heating properly. Something seems to be amiss inside. The bottom, sides and back are all brick lined, the walls are all solid steel. Is there any where to go to find information or pictures or something on old models? Anything at all would be helpful... I can provide pictures of the stove if anyone thinks they may be able to help.

Any help at all in this matter would be so appreciated!

Jeanie Kiser
- Stow, Ohio USA

Q. I just purchased a sun 50 pot belly stove. The outside is not badly rusted; however, the inside is all rust. I can't even imagine how to clean it with a wire brush or mineral oil. The stove is very heavy, but it is hard to get into the middle cavity. I don't see a place on the inside that isn't rusted. How or what should I do to stop the rust and restore the stove. Again, the stove seems solid except this orange rust on the inside.

pammy sunter
hobbyist - South Bend Indiana

DampRid

A. Hi, Pammy. The extensive red rust is probably because it was wet. I'd make sure there is no water left in it, then put a tub of desiccant =>
in it for several days with the door and any other openings closed off. Then, wearing a painter's mask, gloves, goggles, and wearing a very old and disposable sweatshirt, spray a can of rust converter (Rust Reformer [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]) at whatever surfaces you can see in there.

For more detail, please see thread 11428 "Restoring a cast iron wood stove completely covered in rust".Good luck.

Q. I have an old Odom cookstove and would like to restore. Underneath the cookplates I found disintegrating layers of asbestos.

Do I need to remove? How can I do this safely?

Bonnie Morgan
homeowner - Topanga, California

A. Hi, Bonnie.

Obviously, the proper way is to hire an asbestos remediation specialist because asbestos is dangerous! Realistically, some people are not going to do that -- so here are some thoughts that struck me.

Asbestos must be kept wet if you are doing any scraping or any working with it, and you should wear a painter's mask -- but I don't want to imply that a painter's mask is real protection! Put anything you capture into a plastic bag taped shut.

After that, if you have a vacuum that has a hose, you could put the vacuum outside; when finished, and wearing a painter's mask, put the vacuum cleaner bag inside a plastic bag, tape it closed. If you are sure that your vacuum cleaner has a HEPA filter, you may be able to operate it inside, but then you need to use great care in cleaning it out. But I mean absolutely sure about the HEPA filter, because blowing asbestos through your vacuum's filter and all over the house would be an incredibly bad idea. Check with your county about whether you are supposed to bring the asbestos to a collection site or put the sealed plastic bags in the trash. These are just "another homeowner's ideas" and should not be considered expert guidance :-)

Q. Wow, I'm gratified to get a response. Thanks for taking the time.

My followup question is: will it be harmful to just leave it undisturbed? Does it circulate when the stove is heated up high do you think? We use it regularly throughout the cold months to heat the kitchen and act as a food warmer, even sometimes for cooking.

I purchased this 6-burner cookstove from an old family friend for $3000. I'm wondering if that is a mite bit high; can't seem to find much pricing on the web. What do you think?

Bonnie Morgan [returning]
- Topanga, California

A. Hi, Bonnie. There are sites that will do an evaluation for you for $25. Sorry, but we don't post estimated valuations here. If you only knew how many thousands of people submit requests for valuations of their coins, jewelry, antiques, silver service, and stuff found in grandma's attic no matter how many times we say we don't do that.

As my partner Tom Pullizzi coined at the dawn of the internet age in 1995--
"Internet price/demand curve: Infinite demand at zero cost; zero demand at infinitesimal cost."

Yes, leaving the asbestos undisturbed (if that's possible) is the best plan. But if you see that it is deteriorating, it's obviously going somewhere, which is bad regardless of where it's going. Good luck.

< Prev. page          Next page >

Readers: Please see also thread 13218 "Restoring Nickel Plating on Wood Cookstove",
and thread 11428 "Restoring a cast iron wood stove completely covered in rust".