World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Restoring Comstock Castle cast iron stove

2002

Q. I recently purchased an 1876 small cast iron stove at the flea market and want to restore it. It is a mess, rusty and the inside still is full of soot and some ashes. It has beautiful scroll work and Mascot Comstock Castle Stove Co. Quincy, ILL on the front of the stove.

Mascot Comstock Castle Stove  Mascot Comstock Castle Stove 2

It is structurally sound with no holes or broken parts. I don't know where to start. I don't want to do anything that will wear down the detail.

Sally Sullivan
- Parker, Colorado, USA

2002

A. Comstock-Castle is still in business. We can give you suggestions on proper restoration. Contact me & I'll advise. Nice to see a product last so long ... shameless plug :)

John Spake
Comstock Castle Stove - Quincy, Illinois, USA

July 13, 2010 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. My mom bought a stove. It has to be over 50 to 60 years old and its an Economy Comstock Stove that is wood, coal and gas burning with 6 burners.

Economy Comstock Stove 1  Economy Comstock Stove 2

Do you have any idea how to fix it up?

Richard Russo
homeowner - Waterbury, Connecticut USA

Gold leaf starter kit

2003

Q. My neighbor recently acquired an old wood burning stove & we are going to try & restore it together. Would appreciate any tips about bringing out the 'gold leaf' effect. The back of stove says Comstock Castle Stove Co Quincy, Kansas City, Chicago, Minneapolis. The front of stove says 'Elite Economy' and the number 196.

Diane N [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Bandera, Texas

2003

A. As the original mfgr. we may be able to give you some guidance.

John Spake
Comstock-Castle Stove Co.

thumbs up signHi John. Yes, it's great to see you still in business! Please jump right in with advice on any of the posters' questions!
But this is a public forum, and it poorly serves the advertisers who are making the forum possible for us all if non-advertisers steer the conversation towards themselves privately instead; plus, it disenfranchises the other readers, drawing them in with the questions, only to cut them out from the answers. Thanks for your understanding :-)

Q. I just read the post from Diane N., Bandera, Texas, concerning the Elite Economy wood burning stove and am very interested in knowing what she was able to find out since I also have a stove by the same manufacturer, the model number is different. Mine is model 192, Elite Economy. I am missing the front door, approximately 7 in. X 8 1/2 in. and a small top round plate, approximately 3 3/4 in. I would like to read any information on this if you know it.

Paula H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Texarkana, Texas

Elite 111 wood stove
2004

Q. I have an Elite 111 coal burning stove that my dad found in a railroad car several years ago ...

I would like some information about it and if possible how to go about finding some of the skirts that go on it. they are white and hook on.

Judy W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Greensboro, North Carolina

"Antique Iron: Identification and Values"
by Kathryn McNerney
info on Amazon

2004

Q. Just got a redwood Comstock Castle model 38 given to me. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the year this is. It is in fair shape , but in need of some TLC. Has ornate relief on exterior of stove. Any Help will be great.

Patrick F [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
home owner - Kingsford, Michigan

2005

A. Regarding the Redwood. It is an iron box heating stove. We made it for several decades in the mid-late 1800s. Sold a lot to the Indian Territories. Redwoods are easy to restore if the parts are not cracked.

John Spake
Comstock-Castle Stove Co.- Quincy, Illinois

thumbs up signThanks John!

2004

Q. I recently purchased an old Aurora Comstock Castle Iron Stove at an auction. I own a 102 year old victorian home and would like to restore this stove and use it if possible. Anyone know how old this is and how to restore it? I have cleaned off most of the rust, but don't know what to do next. Help?

Aurora Comstock Castle Iron Stove  Aurora Comstock Castle Iron Stove 2

Jamie Ostrow
hobbyist - Parksley, Virginia

March 5, 2014 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I recently acquired a cast iron stove by Comstock-Castle at a really good price it seems to be model#348. It does have some rust and missing hinges to the doors but would like to restore it. Could start off as a nice hobby for me. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use to clean the rust and wear? Thanks.

Julia soto
Home remo. - Tucson, Arizona

16189-5

Q. I have just acquired a Comstock castle wood stove model Cub Economy #113. wondering how old it is. It is in perfect condition, and I am getting ready to put it in a restored old cabin. It is missing the collar that goes to the stove pipe. Can I buy such a thing or need to have it fabricated by a fireplace shop. Grates and everything in great shape, chrome needs a little refinishing but over all what a great find. Thanks for any help

Bill Allen
- Wapiti Wyoming USA

----
Ed. note:
Letter 11428, "Restoring a cast iron wood stove completely covered in rust" compares sand blasting, wire brushing, and steel wool for clean up, plus stove paint vs. stove wax as a finish.
Letter 19039, "How to restore antique cook stoves" suggests types and sources for parts.
Letter 13218, "Restoring Nickel Plating on Wood Cookstove" may be of interest if the stove includes any plating.

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]