Recoating a mixer blade with Teflon/PTFE etc.

2001

I have a small breadmaker mixing blade which needs re-coating with PTFE/Teflon/Fluoropolymer (operating temperature up to 275 deg C). The manufacturer's price for a new blade is almost the gross national product of a third world nation. If I can re-coat this part myself, I can save buying a new blade now and more in the future. How can I recoat and stove this blade myself? What product would you suggest I use and is there a distributor in the UK?

John Kirkwood
- Horsham, UK

2001

John,

First off, please have a look-see at your yellow pages and find out who does PTFE coating ... there must be oodles of Companies who do this in the UK ... try also the Plastics Institute (or an equivalent) who can tell you whom to go to. Try also some of the listed 'suppliers' in plastics who might tell you (politely, one hopes) where to go to.

Horsham is a small town (used to be the UK's biggest village of 16,000 or so back in the 40's) so you may have to go to the library for London's Yellow Pages.

If your dough wasn't so 'tough' to mix and if the temperature were lower, I'd think of using straight unreinforced teflon but that's only good for 400 degr. F., I believe, and PTFE is not known for its strength and stiffness. There is a glass reinforced teflon which is stronger but think that the food inspector will not take too kindly to your using that material!

The UK does have its own 'teflon', PMCTFE but I'm not familiar with its properties.

I doubt that you could recoat the blade yourself and suggest you go to a specialist Company ... and if these blades only last a short time, why not get another one made up in metal and get that coated, too?

Cheers ... and happy mixing !

... where the sun shines daily (?)