(one of the world's very few 'no registration' sites)

-----

"Need Teflon Spray Can for Home Cooking Pans/Pots"

Disambiguation --

• If you seek a service to re-apply non-stick coatings to your cookware, please see Thread 29692

• For info on how non-stick coatings are made & applied, please see Thread 14968

• This thread is about repair spray; it seems no longer available, but read & comment here or on Thread 10027

2002

Q. I am an ordinary householder who has a few Teflon coated pans in the kitchen, some of which need resurfacing. I was told by a friend that there is a product I can buy to bring them back to being usable.

Please help.

Howard Taylor
- United Kingdom
^

similarly 2002

Q. I am looking for a Teflon Spray can paint that I want to use it on a cooking material (pots and pan with high temperature). Also, I need the instruction as how to apply the sprayed paint onto a metallic pots/pan. Regards,

Jay F. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Lexington, Massachusetts
^

2002

Q. Dear Sirs:
I am trying to find out if there is available a spray can of Teflon which I can use to re-surface pans that have been scratched. Thank you.

Ron Adair
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
^

2002

Q. I, too, need this Teflon spray in a can for repair purposes in my hobby. Anybody come up with a source? (-:

Tom Hamilton
- Claremore, Oklahoma
^

2002

A. There are in the market sprays that contains PTFE. Those sprays are used as a releaser in rubber molding. For the applications you mention it does not work well, the coatings onto the cookware must be cured at 400 °C (750 °F) and I suppose you don't have a oven for this temperature. You'd better buy a new frying pan.

Jordi Pujol
- Barcelona, SPAIN
^

2002

A. The Teflon that is applied to cooking surfaces should be FDA approved. To properly apply this type of Teflon, the area must first be preheated (to release any residual oils) then sandblasted clean. Next the Teflon is sprayed onto the surface and baked in an oven that is approximately 800 °F. I think that the spray you have been writing about was a type of coating that was neither approved for cooking surfaces or for continuous use.

Jan Duncan
- Portland, Oregon
^

To minimize search efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we combined previously separate threads onto this page. Please forgive any resultant repetition, failures of chronological order, or what may look like readers disrespecting previous responses -- those other responses may not have been on the page at the time :-)

2002 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. My kids have damaged some very expensive teflon coated pots I own, is there a teflon spray I can use to refinish these pots.

Margaret Dottin
- Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
^

2003 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I was just wondering if there was a positive response to this question, since I have the same type of problem.

Thomas E. Schneider
- Davenport, Iowa
^

2003

A. Hi, Margaret; Hi, Thomas.
I'm afraid that the answer is no, you cannot repair them that way, but you can find second opinions and good feedback in this thread, and the history of the formerly-available non-stick spray in Thread 10027. Good luck.

^

2005

Q. There used to be readily available in hardware stores and the like an aerosol can of Teflon spray that could be used to resurface a waffle iron or other cooking utensil that originally came with a Teflon coating. I can't find those anymore, Where can I get one?

J. F. Brauer
- Broomfield, Colorado
^

2007

A. People have been known to say that the teflon spray had problems sticking to the original teflon and would eventually come off. It may have been recalled, for health reasons.
Many people have issues with cooking on teflon pans to begin with.

H. Mann
- Dudley, Massachusetts
^

A. Application of real Teflon® / PTFE coatings is a multi-step industrial process, J.F., involving mechanical polishing of the surfaces, special etching, primers, high temperature fusion with proper exhaust and fume scavenging, etc. A bonded Teflon® coating is not something that you can just spray out of a can like paint.

The non-stick repair product you are referring to is discussed in detail in letter 10027, "NON-STICK COOKWARE SPRAY TO FIX POTS & PANS?", but it is not available anymore; and it was not actually teflon -- it was a proprietary mix of Butyl Cellosolve, P.M. Acetate, and Cellosolve Acetate solvents that were cured/baked to hardness.

^

sidebar 2003

A. Found this letter in the Minneapolis Star Tribune in the FixitUp Answer and Question section regarding re-coating teflon pans.

"For non-electric cookware, there is one industrial applicator (licensed by Dupont) that does re-coating. [They] will remove the existing coating and apply Silverstone to cookware up to 24 inches in diameter at $10 per pan, plus shipping, sales tax, etc . . . There are no do-it-yourself Teflon spray coating products."

Guess we are out of luck.

Joel Gilb
- Hoffman Estates, Illinois, USA
^

thumbs up signThanks Joel. I looked up the article that you suggested: the company name was OPI, 2208 S. 19th St., Sheboygan, WI.

As some postings drifted away from consumer-applied sprays to service which offer re-coating, we started new threads to cover those related topics. Please see thread 29692, "Teflon re-coating service for pots & pans"

. Ted Mooney, finishing.com
^

2002

! Teflon Spray for re-surfacing cooking pans was available several years ago at Hardware Stores. It was taken off the retail market when anti-gun nuts made an issue of Teflon Coated bullets which were outlawed as it was claimed they could penetrate Police Body Armour. If it is once again available then do let us know as I am about to replace some good pans. Thanks.

Ed Rapisardi
- Leesburg, Florida
^

No! No! No!
Not for Food Service!

Teflon/ Moly Oven Cure Firearm Finish
brownellsTeflonOvencureLiquid

[affiliate link by editor to product info at Brownells]

thumbs up signHi Ed. We appreciate your effort to help, but I think that story is urban legend. The non-stick repair spray in question was never teflon in the first place, so it wasn't removed from shelves for that reason; and you can't apply teflon to pots and pans that way anyway, so there would not have been spray teflon for pots and pans; and sprayed teflon lubricants and sprayed teflon coatings for other purposes have remained available throughout this whole period =>

My personal belief is that times changed, our society became much more risk-averse, chemically safety-conscious (maybe paranoid?) and litigation-oriented ... and it just became too risky to continue to market these kinds of oven-bake-able solvents for use on food-service products.

^

2002

Q. I have some strap pans used in a bakery for breads. Is there a Teflon spray that can be applied after the current coating effectiveness has diminished.

Dennis T [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Louisville, Kentucky, USA
^

2003

A. I found this link at eKitchenGadgets.com that advertises a repair coating. I have never used it and am debating with myself over trying it. Or go to www.hometrendscatalog.com and look for product #109041.

I have not yet tried it and can't attest to its efficacy.

james H. King
pest control - Tallahassee, Florida
^

2004

A. If anyone is interested, I found a Non-Stick Surface Repair Spray in the Harriet Carter gifts catalog. It is 5.98 a can. I have not tried it yet, so I don't know if it's any good.

Charlotte Nickel
- Las Vegas, Nevada
^

Ed. note: Sorry, we struck through those links because eKitchenGadgets, hometrendscatalog, and Harriet Carter no longer carry that product. We previously removed links to Walter Drake and many others who no longer carry it either. Sorry, but we are quite confident that the product is no longer marketed in America.

2004

A. Our experience is that if the coating (i.e., Teflon spray) goes on easily, it also comes off easily. Yes it is not a simple paint on application, and will become part of your diet. Have a professional shop redo your Teflon.

Lawrence Henry
industrial coating - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
^

A. I was at one time looking to re-do my Teflon pans and did find something like you're looking for. All you do is spray it on outdoors and put in oven at a certain temperature (not sure of temperature) and it worked. So now I am also looking for the same product. Don't be afraid to do.

Martha Blocker
- Napa California
^

thumbs up signHi, Martha. Thanks for the tip, but you will find that that spray is no longer available. You can see thread 10027 to follow the history as it went off the market.

^

sidebar

sidebar
2004

Q. Is there a Teflon or other composite spray which can be applied to a metal surface and experience operating pressure of about 200 psi and temperature around 400-500 °F?

Eric Puchala
hobbyist - Chicago, Illinois, USA
^

A. Hi Eric. You can try the previously mentioned Brownells oven-cured teflon/moly coating. But as Lawrence has told us, easy on probably equals easy off :-)

I think you'll probably need an industrially applied coating on an industrially etched and pretreated surface, not a quick and easy spray. And remember that these sprays are not intended for food surfaces! Good luck.

^

Q. I just read the other postings and was wondering what was with the mold releasing spray being used for resurfacing teflon. Is that safe?

Nicole B. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
^

A. Hi, Nicole. It's probably reasonably safe in my estimation, for that application -- but you can't use it on food surfaces like pots and pans.

^

(you are on the 1st page of the thread)       Next page >