Spray-on Teflon Coating

2001

I am doing an experiment to spin plastic waste into suitable non-woven scouring pad. My initial idea borrows from the method whereby granular sugar is spun into cotton candy. If the granular sugar is replaced by granular plastic beads then you will get the plastic cotton candy instead of the sugar cotton candy. If the condition is correct i.e., heating temperature, rpm, size of holes of the spin head, then the fine plastic threads that collect at the surrounding wall will build up to form a sheet of non woven plastic pad. The sheet of plastic pad is then slowly taken off the wall by moving it up along the wall. At the right height the sheet is slit and carried unto a revolving wheel before coiled into bundles and later cut into squares of the appropriate size. The problems envisaged are:

1. The spin head that spun the plastic granules into plastic threads is heated by an OPEN electric coil to melt the plastic. This requires complete electrical insulation.
2. The plastic threads will stick to the walls, preventing it to be moved up easily.

My question is: Is there anything in the market like "spray-on" teflon coating for electrical insulation (the spin head) and for "non-stick" teflon coating for the wall?

In the long run, in case my idea works I will certainly benefit using the practical teflon coating rather than using the usual ceramic coating.

Bian Hien Tan
- Jakarta, Indonesia

2001

Cammie 2000 is a teflon spray coating that can be purchased from AE Yale in San Diego, CA. They are currently out of stock and will not have any for several weeks. There should be other suppliers however.

Mark Dean
- El Cajon, California, USA