Is pearl bright nickel same as satin nickel

2005

Q. We are designing a formed steel part and would like to specify what I'll call a "satin nickel" finish. So far I have been unable to locate a standard for specifying this type of finish. My goal is a repeatable and consistent finish. I want to make sure that I have a clear note on my drawing so that the finisher knows what I want and I can reject parts that are not like I want. Hopefully a good specification will make sure I never need to reject parts.

Can anyone direct me to a standard or convention for specifying satin nickel finishes?

Chris Justice
consumer goods - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA

simultaneous 2005

A. Hello Chris.........
I have been struggling with satin nickel for 2 years.Time after time and to solve some problems with satin nickel bath I knew some details and important things. So I have eliminated nearly all problems. But I don't know your problems and what do you want about satin nickel. If you post your problems or questions we will help you...

Good Luck....

Alaattin Tuna
- TURKEY

2005

A. Chris,
Nickel finish is usually interpreted as bright shine finish in the metal finishing field. Satin nickel finish is nickel finish which is with no shine and non reflective surface looking like a semi polished Stainless steel appearance.

t k mohan
T.K. Mohan
    plating process supplier 
Mumbai, India

2005

A. Nickel or any other plating has little to do with the finished texture. The texture of the substrate is revealed through the plating. For bright reflective Nickel the substrate must be polished to the reflective degree desired before plating.
For Satin nickel finish lightly sandblast before plating.

John Fuselier
- Livingston, Texas

2005

thumbs up sign  John, that's an opinion I can't quite agree with or disagree with :-)

Yes, bead blasting or lightly sanding before plating will give a finish which some people call satin, but other platers will call that brushed nickel and reserve the word 'satin' for pearlescent finishes achieved with special additives.

And, yes, consumers who want their old articles replated do need to understand that this involves polishing them first because plating will not fill gouges, scratches, and pits. But it's not quite true that the substrate must be polished to the reflective degree desired before plating; bright self-leveling nickel adds a substantial degree of smoothness and reflectivity to roughly polished surfaces.

2005

Q. I guess I'm used to specifying powder coat finishes on metal or pantone colors and a mold-tech specification for molded plastic. With both approaches I'm relatively certain that I'll get close to what I specify (or have grounds to reject parts). Is there such a standard way to specify surface finish for a plated part?

I see a lot of consumer articles for sale under the label "satin nickel". My question is; how is this specified? Would I specify a certain type and duration of bead blasting along with a certain concentration and duration (or thickness) of nickel plating? So far I haven't been able to find a clear way to communicate what I want on my part prints. Thanks in advance for additional help.

Chris Justice [returning]
- Prairie Village, Kansas USA

2005

A. You and me both.

Indeed this is a confluence of a technology problem and a semantics problem. What Mssrs. Mohan and Fuselier are calling a "satin nickel" finish is what some other people would call a "brushed nickel" finish. Those same people would describe satin nickel not as a brushed or bead blasted finish but as a pearlescent, opalescent, or "frosty" finish not too different from a fine silver look or actual satin; that appearance is not achieved by bead blasting but via special additives in the plating bath.

Again, I'm not calling Mssrs. Mohan and Fuselier wrong! I'm saying that the problem includes a basically different understanding as to what the term should mean.

I'm afraid that for the foreseeable future this issue will remain problematical and you'll need to provide good photographs or actual test parts.

2005

A. Being a decorative plater I am used to the semantics involved in describing finishes. What one person calls satin another calls brushed. What a third person calls satin another calls frosted.

There is no specification or standard for textured finishes that I know of. My best advise is to process several samples yourself to the desired finish texture and provide your plater with one of these "Master Samples". You and your QC dept. keep the rest for incoming inspection purposes.

Tim Hamlett
Decorative Plating - North Miami, Florida, USA

2007

A. As the last respondent said, semantics is a large part of all definitions of metal finishing. I produce two basic types of Nickel plated finish: either lightly sandblasted, which for want of a better term, I call "Satin". This is most useful when there is some light corrosion or pitting which can be minimized in appearance with this non-reflective plating. It also easy to keep clean clean and does not show fingerprints. This is excellent for a firearm.

The other type is a highly reflective mirror finish which can only be successfully applied on a polished metal surface. There is a certain amount of self-leveling in some plating procedures, but a mirror finish will never be developed without the underlying strata being first polished. This means that the underlying metal must be relatively free of flaws.

As for buffing or polishing Nickel after plating, this is dangerous business because heat and unequal expansion may cause the plating to delaminate.

John Fuselier
- Livingston, Texas

A. When a coating of Nickel is applied to Zinc alloy metal, it will resemble very much a stainless steel finish. In other words, Brushed Nickel will be close to stainless steel finish in appearance. Item is usually Machine Buffed to remove shine. Satin Nickel on the other hand is Gray matte finish, resembles Light Silver.

Rick Carino
- So Ozone Park, New York

To minimize your searching efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined some threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

2006

Q. Hi.
I would like to know what is the difference between pearl bright and satin nickel?

Way Beng
- Malaysia

2006

A. These terms are colloquialisms rather than rigid specifications, Way, so it is difficult to answer.

To me, though, I have no trouble visualizing the smooth iridescent look of a pearl, and the idea that nickel can be made to look sort of that way with special additives. I also have no trouble appreciating what brushed nickel is -- which is accomplished by brushing or glass bead blasting before plating.

But when someone says "satin nickel", I for one don't know whether they are thinking of a pearlescent finish or a very fine bead blasted finish, and I think a lot of people agree with me.

2007

A. Pearl Brite is an Enthone brand name, satin nickel a way to describe the looks of it.

Erik van der Staaij
- Maasbommel, Netherlands

2007

A. Thanks, Eric. We appreciate your advising us of this and are happy to concede "Pearl Brite" as an Enthone trade name.

But as noted I've heard bead blasted (brushed) nickel called "satin nickel" by so many people in so many venues that I can't demand that all and sundry stop calling it satin :-)
Actually, neither pearl-like nickel nor bead blasted nickel looks quite like satin to me :-)

Thanks again.

2007

A. I have to agree that Satin, Brushed, Pearl and other like terms are very subjective.

My company markets "Polished", "Satin", and "Matte" finishes. Polished is self explanatory. Our "Matte" finish is more like the bead blasted or pearl finish that some of our competitors call a "Frost" finish. Our "Satin" is more like a brushed finish except the lines we produce are very straight and even unlike "Brushed" finishes where the lines tend to be more random in direction and length.

So … call them what you will. Just make sure your finisher understands what you want.

Tim Hamlett
- Miami, Florida, USA

2007

thumbs up sign Thanks, Tim. Your explanation of your own vocabulary is helpful, and as you say, the same words mean different things to different people.

2007

A. I think Satin Nickel and Pearl nickel are the same thing. My company is one of the biggest suppliers of many world wide high class sanitary company, and our customers demand plating in varyig finishes and call them "matte","satin","frost", even "special" -- but the only difference is substrate mechanical prep.
The "satin chrome" is just like this precess in our company" semi-bright nickel - "pearl" nickel - Chrome".
This is basic precess, and we also change it to make a new surface treatment, just like "semi-bright->brushed->pearl->chrome(->PVD)".

Frank Liou
kitchen & bath products - Guangzhou City, China

I am starting a small line of handcrafted fabric belts (fashion) and I would like to change all metal parts (buckle, eyelets and end tip) from nickel (shiny) to brushed/mat nickel. So far I have found out that I can do that with sandpaper, however since these belts will be for sale I am concerned about the quality of brushed nickel metal parts. To be more precise - how much brushing can they withstand in regards to the thickness of nickel coating? Does brushing make coating (metal finish) too thin and therefore of a lesser quality?

How is the brushed nickel finish achieved in an official way - rather than with sandpaper?

Thank you for your help. Best wishes,
Spela from Slovenia (Europe)

Spela Sajovic
handicraftsman - Kranj, Slovenia, Europe

A. Bead blasting first will give you a somewhat matte finish. We take a different approach, namely polish first, apply a thick layer of electrolytic bright nickel, then brush the nickel. We bead blast only if the surface is in pretty bad shape, i.e., has scratches that we can't remove easily with polishing.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
PVD Consultant - San Diego, California

----
Ed. note: Related threads --
03013. Satin nickel plating process
40492. Satin nickel plating problems
26692. Filtration system questions for satin nickel plating