HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 40492

Satin nickel plating problem: Black spots

A discussion started in 2004 and continuing through 2017 . . .

(2004)

Q. Hello. We plate zinc die cast with cyanide coper then acid copper then satin nickel. But with both zinc die cast parts and mild steel parts after the satin nickel they are getting blackened like black stains. We polish them but it was in vain. Our scrap rate is getting high. Is it possibly excessive satin brightener? or...? So, could you help me?

Emre Tuna
engineer - Istanbul, Besiktas, Turkey

Nickel Plating

(2004)

A. Hello,

I think for zinc diecast components you need to give a very good coating of cyanide copper , which is been deposited at lower current and a very smooth deposit, also then a bright nickel coating and at last satin nickel, if the satinizer is not been added at controlled measure it results in black spots , also if the primary additives are not in range also ends up in such problems , carbon treat the bath, dummy , make this a regular practice and work with limited additions of satinizer , ALL THE BEST !

REGARDS

praveen kumar
Praveen Kumar
    plating process supplier
Mumbai, India

simultaneous (2004)

A. Raise the Nickel sulfate content above 400 g/l. I know it sounds strange but it is a proven method to solve black spots problem on satin nickel.

Sara Michaeli
chemical process supplier
Tel-Aviv, Israel

(2004)

A. Hi, get long-time stable satinizer. Satinizer breakdown will bring this guest (so called black spots) to your house regularly.

Good luck

Qutub Saify
- Ajman, United Arab Emirates

Readers: To minimize searching & thrashing, and offer multiple viewpoints, we combined multiple threads into the dialog you are viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition.

(2006)

Q. We are in lock manufacturing Business. We have manual satin nickel process on M.S.
We are facing the problem black spots after satin nickel process. We are doing filter on regular basis, at least 1.5 - 2 hours daily before work starts. Now the concentrations of bath are listed below.

1. Nickel Metal = 100-105 gms/litre
2. Chloride as Nickel chloride = 50-60 gms/litre
3. Boric Acid = 40-41 gms/lit.

Please give me a suggestion to solve this problem permanently.

Rajendrakumar R Mudholkar
- Mumbai, India

Nickel and Chromium Plating
Dennis & Such

(2006)

A. Dear Mr. Rajendra,

Please clear the surface with filter paper before starting production, check temperature of bath it should not go above 60 °C.

filtration duration should be at least 4-6 hours with carbon pack, per filter use carbon up to 250- 400 gms.

Enjoy satin plating.

vishwas nangare
Vishwas Nangare
motorcycle accessories mfgr.
- Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India

(2006)

A. I know in bright nickel black stains indicate a copper impurity. I do not know if it is the same for your nickel.
Check ppm of copper.

gary joseph
Gary Joseph
Johannesburg, South Africa

(2006)

A. Hi there,

One has to take a lot care for filtration in satin nickel , but there are emulsifiers which don't need filtration everyday , organic impurities and excess addition of organics results in black deposition , and maybe there is contamination of metallic impurity , on my opinion you should dummy the solution on regular basis...........and in the end maintain chloride 30 - 40 gms / ltr

praveen kumar
Praveen Kumar
    plating process supplier
Mumbai, India

(2006)

A. Black spots in Satin Nickel do not come from copper/zinc contamination. The cause is insufficient filtration.
Try to filter the solution into a holding tank, clean the plating tank very well and then filter back the plating solution into the plating tank.
You must use filter aid along with the carbon!

Sara Michaeli
chemical process supplier
Tel-Aviv, Israel

(2006)

A. Dear Sir,
Tell me your tank size. If your satiniser addition is excess then also this may happened.
The satiniser additive is mix & stir vigorously with 20 times DM water then add to the tank and mix properly, dummy the solution, your problem will definitely be solved.

Vishal Duse
- Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India

Shade variation after bright & satin nickel plating on MS components

Q. We are doing satin nickel finish after copper plating and bright nickel plating. We are getting some shade variation on the components, i.e., within the same components and the matching parts. Due to this our dispatch is getting affected. How to resolve this issue? Is there any rework methods to de-plate the satin and do re satin nickel on those components?

Shanmugam Piramanayagam
Plating shop employee - Goa, India

A. Hi Shanmugan,
In the past I have noticed that inadequate final rinsing and drying can be a culprit in situations as described. Do you use post-process IPA?

blake kneedler
Blake Kneedler
Feather Hollow Eng.
Stockton, California

thumbs up signThanks for all your suggestions.
After proper removal of aged satinizer and increase of Density of the satin bath, now we are getting proper satin finish.

Shanmugam Piramanayagam [returning]
- Goa, India

Rusty Satin Nickel Plating

40492

Q. I am an engineer for Electroplating in manufacturing company in Batam, Indonesia.
I have rusty issue in the plating surface, the plating type is Nickel Satin.
Could you help me why this thing happens? Solutions?

Arya Simanullang
- Batam, Kepri, Indonesia

A. Hi Arya. There is a lot involved to achieve successful plating; things could be wrong in 50 different places from an unplateable substrate due to pitting, to poor alkaline cleaning, to inadequate acid dip step, to poor rinsing, to inadequate plating thickness, to poor packaging or storage conditions. I think we can help you, but we would need a pretty cleared detailed question.

I don't know what this component it, and the picture may be deceiving, but it looks to me like you are trying to plate a part that has had no mechanical preparation done, and has very deep welding or casting gouges. What is the substrate?