-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
A website for Serious Education, promoting Aloha,
& the most FUN smiley you can have in metal finishing.
    no popups, no spam
on this site
current topics
topic 3871

Teflon coated cookware - what is it?

My employer asked me to pick up either a pot or a pan made of stainless steel, with a teflon finish, and no other kind of finish. I went to a store called The Bay ( which is probably the largest high end department stores in Canada, and possibly one of the best in North America. They had about 30 different brands of pots and pans and many were stainless steel, but not one of them had a "Teflon" coating. There was T-Fal and Stoneware and a couple starting with an E, but no Teflon.

Can someone tell me if teflon is a brand name or a product that goes into other non-stick coatings. I would really like to find out.

Please either give me the answer or tell me where to look on the web.

Much appreciated...


Noni Raitblat
- Canada


Teflon is a trademark of Dupont for PTFE--polytetrafluoroethylene. It is a very slippery, very chemical resistant, very high temperature plastic, which I always believed to have been invented by Dupont.

The company which makes T-Fal also claims to be the inventor of PTFE. I would not want to slander either by saying there is no difference, but for your boss' purpose, I think the answer is "T-Fal = Teflon = non-stick".

Nonetheless, most non-stick cookware is aluminum rather than stainless steel. You may need to shop a bit to find stainless cookware with a non-stick coating =>

Good luck.


Stainless Non-stick Cookware

Ted Mooney, Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey


Hi Noni,

As said Ted, Teflon* is a trademark of DuPont, and under this name they sell different polymers and copolymers like PTFE, FEP, PFA, ETFE, etc. There are in the market other trade names for PTFE coatings like Silverstone, Teflon S, Teflon 2, from Dupont; Xylan, Excalibur, Dykor, Xylar from Whitford Plastics, etc. There are some companies who sell PTFE dispersions to be applied on frying pans with different names.

Best regards

Jordi Pujol
- Barcelona, SPAIN

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Comment to THIS thread START a NEW threadView CURRENT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.