-----

"Clean and brighten carburetor bodies"

1998

Q. I restore carburetors for classic cars and currently strip the old dichromate finish by beadblasting. Is there any chemical process I can use instead of beadblasting? Also , after beadblasting I boil the casting in a caustic soda solution for cleaning. I have to bead blast the casting again to remove any caustic residue or else the new coloring doesn't appear uniform, any rinse solution I can use to neutralize the caustic?

Craig Bartling
^

2001

Q. To the guy that was restoring (Craig Bartling) carburetors or anyone else out there who would know the answer to this question. I would like to know the chemical process for recoloring carburetors to the original yellow dichromate finish and would it be chemically harmful?

John Just
- Canada
^

To minimize search efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we combined previously separate threads onto this page. Please forgive any resultant repetition, failures of chronological order, or what may look like readers disrespecting previous responses -- those other responses may not have been on the page at the time :-)

Dip Clean For Old Aluminium Carbs

2002

Q. Can any one advise on a formula or product to dip aluminium carbs in to clean, I don't want a polished finish just a natural colour.

Thanks! John Wallett
- Ely, Cambs, England.
^

2002

A. Most auto stores have at least a couple of brands of carburetor cleaners and most hardware stores have at least a couple of brands of aluminum cleaners. One or the other should be the product you are looking for. But my personal experience is that aluminum is almost impossible to clean this way if your expectations demand a pure silvery color. To a limited extent, aluminum self-anodizes -- building a sort of honeycomb which absorbs dirt & oil and then sealing it in.

^

Cleaning zamak carburetors

2002

I am rebuilding a motorbike. The carburetors are in Zamak and are very dirty internally and very oxidized externally. How can I clean them. Which chemical product can I use ? Looking forward to your answer I thank you in advance.

Sincerely yours,

LEBOEUF Alain
- Asnieres, Hauts de Seine, FRANCE
^

A. The best thing you can do to clean a carburetor is to lay them in fuel for a day

that normally should do it.

Birger Gillis
- Antwerp, Belgium
^

All efforts at refinishing carburetor just make it worse

2003

Q. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF RESTORING A (NOS) NEW OLD STOCK CARTER AFB CARBURETOR THAT HAS BEEN WEATHERED.

ALTHOUGH MOST OF THE GOLD CAD AND SILVER ZINC PARTS ARE NEAR NEW, THE ALUMINUM BODY IS LOOKING ROUGH. THERE IS A BIT OF A OFF-WHITE SCALE AND THE ALUMINUM IS VERY DARK AND STAINED FROM BEING STORED IN A DAMP/HUMID PLACE.

I HAVE TRIED A MIXTURE OF MURIATIC ACID AND WATER ON SOME OTHER OLD CARTER CARBURETOR, AS SOON AS I SUBMERGE THE PART IT STARTS TO SMOKE,BOIL,BUBBLE EVEN AFTER 5 SECONDS FOLLOWED BY A WATER RINSE IT SEEMS TO BURN/DARKEN THE PART, I HAVE ALSO TRIED GLASS BEAD, ALUMINUM OXIDE CABINET BLASTING, IT CLEANS THE PART TO A BRIGHT ALUMINUM FINISH, IT IS TO NICE COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL FINISH, IT SEEMS A LITTLE DARKER, AND MAYBE THE ORIGINALS WHERE RUN THROUGH A SORT OF MASS POLISHING SYSTEM WITH STEEL OR CERAMIC MEDIA,

ANYWAY I AM LOOKING FOR A MAGIC LIQUID TO REMOVE THE CORROSION AND STAINS.

THANX,

MOE BLACKBURN
COATINGS - BONNYVILLE, ALBERTA, CANADA
^

2003

A. Try with nitric instead of hydrochloric. No water. Extreme precautions as nitric is a mean guy compared to muriatic. Very aggressive to all forms of life. Follow local rules to dispose. After that you can glass bead blast to improve finish.

^

2004

A. I've used Lime-A-Way [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] to remove the white deposits in old carbs, it won't eat away at your carb either.

mike mcduffee
- santee, california
^

2005

A. I think to get the best results with aluminum, there is no real magic liquid (though Eagle 1 Mag Wheel Cleaner [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] does a pretty good job), but wet sanding the aluminum with wet or dry sandpaper [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] then polishing it with something like Nevr-Dull [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] is the real ticket.
For best results start with 220 to 400 paper depending on the roughness, then go to 1000 to 1500 grit before polishing.

Jonathan Crump
- SugarLand, Texas, U.S.A.
^

Cleaning die cast carburetors

2003

Q. I would like advice on the most economical way to clean the surfaces of old carburetors. I think they are die cast. I recall that a product called Fenole or Fenile was used but can't be sure. I was hoping to find a soaking solution, and if possible something that is environmentally friendly.

Bob Duffy
Duffy's Deuces - Kerkrade, The Netherlands
^

A. Hi I'm cleaning old Amal 35 years old carbs at the moment and all I'm doing is putting them in boiling water with washing up liquid, this is after stripping them down... once boiled, dry with compressed air and you should find they come up nice and clean.... you can't polish them as the material soon goes dull but it's the inside that matters hope this helps, the other way is to soak them in petrol

Tony Scott
- England
^

2005

Q. I have 3 old Weber carburetors. How can I get a bright clean finish on them, without using something that will ruin the threads. They are aluminum, but I don't if they are an alloy.

Peter Gabriel
car buff - Douglaston, New York, U.S.A.
^

2005

A. You can buff them using a cloth wheel in a drill or on a bench grinder and buffing compound. You local Sears will have buffs and compound.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina
^

2005

A. You can soak them in Methylene Chloride. Use caution with this liquid, very bad for lungs and NO skin contact. Check part(s) every 10 mins. Rinse well with hot water, Air dry.

Fred Read
- Duluth, Minnesota, USA
^

Carburetor cleaning and refinishing has been a perennial subject. Please see also --

Topic 0338 "Zinc plating & chromating of Carburetors"

Topic 5754 "Re-coloring / Refinishing Zamak"

Topic 11847 "Restoring gold Iridite color to diecast parts"

Topic 16200 "Zinc plate carburetors & diecastings vs. chromating"

Topic 35697 "Carburetor re-plating / re-coloring"

Topic 37255 "Restoring the yellow dichromate finish on automobile carburetors"

help wanted ad
Mfg Engineer - Chem Engineer [Santa Rosa CA]
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee WA]