HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 60331

Extending corrosion durability beyond 'normal' hard coat anodizing?

Q. While researching good coating options for a new set of low pressure cast aluminum wheels. I came across a company that claims to have a 15,000 hr salt spray anodize coating.

I'm pretty sure they are using accelerated testing, so the accuracy is questionable, but they are claiming a couple of hours in caustic as well.

While reading through the patent it looks like they using heat to convert the Aluminum Hydroxide to Aluminum Oxide. The temperatures specified in the patent don't seem to be high enough to change Aluminum Oxides crystal structure at all.

It is confusing to me, as I had read that sulfuric hard coat anodize always creates hexagonal crystal structures, so either they are converting the hydroxide (assuming here that he hydroxide is amorphous?) to oxide with heat, or they have a different process that usually lays down amorphous aluminum oxide / hydroxide?

The patent also mentions using ultrasonic cleaning, so I am supposing that they may be anodizing, sealing, heating, cleaning, and anodizing again?

I reached out them for information, but I figured as this a very interesting claim (to me) I'd ask here as well.

So my questions are:
1. Does this sound feasible at all, especially if anodize is normally crystalline (they claim their coating works because it converts an amorphous to 'micro-crystalline', which I take to mean 'partially crystalline')
2. Does anyone have any ideas on replicating this process, or at least extending 'normal' hard coat anodizes salt spray endurance?
3. What is the longest proven anodize salt spray resistance that would be believed by someone in the industry, normally?
4. Is it worthwhile to add a paint / powder coat layer on top of hard coat anodize to extend its salt spray endurance, and how much could legitimately be expected of it?

Their president talking about the coating:

The patent (skip to summary):

They are claiming that they use one of / some of the following to fill the pores:
1. A metal acetate, and metal nitrate salt blend, heating in air at 150-300 °C for 1/2 hr
(assuming the nitrate consumes the acetate, to leave behind oxide / hydroxide)
2. An alkaline solution
3. A metal fluoride & a surfactant
4. Ultrasound without the fluoride & surfactant

Why does the fluoride need a surfactant to work?

Michael Simon
Arm Chair Engineer! - Burning River, Ohio, USA

Surface Treatment & Finishing of Aluminium and Its Alloys
Wernick, Pinner & Sheasby

probert book
Aluminum How-To

by Robert Probert
$89 New
The Chromating - Anodizing - Hardcoating Handbook

Hi Michael. I used to live in the Cleveland area -- you didn't extinguish the Cuyahoga river yet?   :-)

Let me start by saying that we have a general problem in even discussing your question. Once there are three or four companies offering a process, we can openly talk in generic & technical terms about a technology. But when you are talking about one specific company and their claimed exclusive processes, we can't say much -- because companies welcome positive web reviews, but may threaten to sue us if we even exhibit skepticism. Over the years finishing.com has been threatened with legal action at least 3 times for that, not counting more veiled "suggestions" :-(

Another problem is companies generally conflate their patents and their sales literature such that it can become almost impossible to understand what is actually patentable and patented.

But in general I certainly don't believe that conventional sulfuric acid anodizing and hard coat anodizing is the final ultimate aluminum finish and can't be improved upon. Spark anodizing (a concept which we probably can now discuss because there are multiple vendors) can be an improvement, and I have no reason to believe that this Micralox may not be an improvement as well. I would certainly expect that people will be "working around the edges" of any Micralox patents and that we'll soon be able to discuss the general technology.

Sorry that we can't say more, but what would be the point of allowing the posting of a positive review from anyone if we know we couldn't post a negative one if it came in?

Best anodizing for "Dishwasher Safe"?

November 23, 2016 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

There seems to be a lot of mixed information online regarding anodizing and being "dishwasher safe".

I'm working on a kitchen product that will need to be washed in a dishwasher. Several sources have specifically mentioned not to put hard-coatings in the dishwasher, yet there are numerous kitchen products on the market labeled as Hard Anodized & Dishwasher safe.

The material I'm working with is 6061.

Can someone provide any insight into this?

Matt B
- Hilliard, Ohio, USA

A. Hi Matt. We appended your inquiry to a thread about a caustic-resistant finish. There may also be sealing technology which renders hard anodizing "dishwasher safe" but I'm not personally familiar with it. Good luck.

Q. I came across something that seems promising in regards to a dishwasher-safe finish for 6061. Perhaps someone here has some experience with this? Basically, a Teflon Hardcoat.

Matt B [returning]
- Hilliard, Ohio, USA

Hi again, Matt. We have several threads on line here about Teflon "infused" anodizing. I put the word "infused" in quotes because most experts feel that anodizing pores are too small to absorb Teflon, and that it's actually a Teflon coating. Letter 11225 also asked the question of whether Teflon coated anodizing is dishwasher-safe. I suspect that it is, but don't have any actual knowledge of it.