Need to buy or design/build salt spray chamber

adv.   auto technology banner

(2001)

Q. I want to design and manufacture a Salt Spray Apparatus. However, I would like to know all the components needed to make the best test cabinet on the market. This will enable my company to serve the needs of all who are in need of the perfect cabinet.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Chandler, Arizona

(2001)

A. Hi, Mike.

I'd start by examining the newest salt spray cabinets from the existing suppliers and see in what ways, if any, they seem deficient to you. Then I would do a patent search because there are certain accessories or approaches you are prohibited from offering. Then I would check the ASTM corrosion tests to see what kind of specifications the cabinets you wish to design must meet.

I think you'll find letter 7583 interesting as the inquirer asked what factors are important in choosing a salt fog cabinet and several readers offered their answers. Good luck!

(2001)

A. First of all, take a look at what is already commercially available. There are a few major companies that already do very well in this market. You will have to have some sort of advantage over existing cabinets to convince people to buy from you. If you are not already intimately familiar with salt spray testing, I don't see how you could compete.

The cabinet must fully comply with ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] . Good cabinets will also have the capability to run humidity testing, CASS testing, and perhaps even Kesternich testing. A top-of-the-line chamber must have controllable temperature, fog rates, and relative humidity. It should be able to do cyclic tests and be programmable for custom cyclic testing.

Make sure you understand what you are getting into before you invest a lot of money, time, and effort.

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan

(2004)

RFQ: We need to perform a salt spray test according to ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] . Our customer is Boeing, where could we get a right to perform this test, what is the machine's price? How many days the machine should be delivered from ordered?

Hunter [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
operation manager - ShangHai, China
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2005)

RFQ: Need Salt Spray test cabinet that conforms to ASTM B117 standard.
At first glance our budget limits us to the 120 liter cabinets, but we would prefer a larger size if pricing is within our budget.

For delivery in Granby, Quebec, Canada

Norman B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Automotive accessories manufacturer - Granby, Quebec, Canada
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2006)

Q. How to design a salt spray chamber? I want to design a salt spray chamber for saline environment simulation at 35 °C. What should be the design?

Mallika Gope
- NOIDA, U.P., INDIA

(2006)

A. Hi, Mallika. I'd certainly start with ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] . And I'd suggest making it of fiberglass rather than steel. Best of luck.

(2007)

Q. I am looking to make a simple one time use salt spray cabinet to test circuit boards for corrosion. Kind of DIY project. The cabinet doesn't have to meet any standards or be commercial quality. Any ideas where to start besides ASTM B117. What simple household materials can I use (eg. hose nozzles). Anything will help.

Ilya Frishman
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

(2007)

A. Hi, Ilya. If you just wish to accelerate the corrosion, with no standards to meet, just pour wet salt on the boards, leave them in the sun, and spritz when they get dry.

But if you seek repeatability, yet don't wish to buy a salt fog chamber, you might do a search for "CAMRI testing". This is a highly repeatable accelerated corrosion test that can be done with very little investment, and has been used by very reputable organizations including the International Zinc Association. Good luck.

A. Attached is a pic of a DIY chamber I built to test supplier hardware used on high end high performance windows and doors. Like most of your responders suggested I went to ASTM B117 to put together requirements for establishing the design intent.

9721

Much of these products I test are used on or close to ocean front environment. Also I test samples from in-house painting and vinyl film laminating.

This unit which we invested about $500.00 has been operating about 6 months. In that time it has paid for itself about 10-fold. I can give details if requested.

Most suppliers I deal with are eager to make changes to correct issues I have found in their products.

I would be happy to share details of design and parts used.

Tom West
Quality Control - Orlando Florida USA

Q. Thanks Tom, I am very interested in the build specs for your salt test chamber. How do we get a copy?

Brian Janowski
- Marquette, Michigan, USA

A. I will work up the specs - mostly hand drawn and a parts list.
I'm only interested in refinements discovered by other builders and users. E.g., you may choose to use different materials and circuits that are a more efficient design than mine.

I will include some pics of tests results That caused actual changes in design and/or metals used in the assembly.

You should see something by end of next week.

Thanks for your interest

Tom West [returning]
- Orlando Florida USA

A. Attached you should find parts lists and schematics of the chamber and pictures of the critical parts.

Schematic
Sketch
End view

Air brush
Air solenoid
Air source
Aspirator
Aspirator hook-up
Auxiliary outlets
Collar and water seal
Control panel
Hanging rack
Relay, breaker, solenoid
Rubbermaid cart
Tank ports
Tower with service loop

Salt Fog parts "partial list"

Digital Hydrometer 3.50 E bay
420 NM UV Light 30.00 E bay
110VAC digital prog. timer 7.25 E bay
100W silicone Pad heater 27.00 E bay
SS 8 Qtr. Pressure Cooker 50.00 E bay
Single burn hot plate 19.00 E bay
Thermostat with relay 14.00 E bay
PVC pie & caps 12.00 Lowes
Drain hose 2.50 Lowes
Drain port 3.50 Lowes
Aspirator ( air brush) 10.00 Harbor fright
PVC column and Base 12.00 Lowes
Glass 65.00 Tecnoglass
Plexi - top 50.00 Lowes
Control box and relays 100.00
Re. Glass - An aquarium will work - just be careful with heater pad (if used) e.g., thermal shock may crack the glass.

These parts were collected over a period of about 6 months. Some items purchased did not work well and replaced with the parts you see in this list. Look over the schematic and start shopping. Only the thermostat and timer from the control box are on this list. I'm sure you could get the rest of the relays and breakers on eBay or a surplus house of your choice.

Good luck and let me know how you've improved this design.

TW

Tom West [returning]
WIndoor inc - Orlando Florida USA

thumbs up sign Great work Tom, and incredibly generous of you. Thanks for sharing.

Q. Hi all. I am really interested in building this salt spray chamber. I would be really thankful if someone could help me out with some tech-info. What is the use of aspirator in this design? Thanks a lot.

Klemen Grabnar
- Slovenia

Q. I want to perform a salt spray test on diodes which has salt concentration 5% and duration will be of 48 hrs. Can anyone please suggest me how should I proceed if I want to make this salt spray chamber within range of specified conditions above so that I can also conduct similar tests in future? I am basically interested in developing chamber by myself. :)

Abhay Thakur
- Mumbai,India

A. Hi Abhay. I would start by obtaining a copy of ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] or ISO 9227 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] since I'd assume that you would want the results of your 5% salt spray test to be similar to the results that others get when they conduct 5% salt spray tests, and you'll want to know what you have to do for your results to have validity in that regard.

After that, you might follow Tom West's explicit directions, or ask highly specific questions about them. Good luck.

I am a mechanical engineering major working on my senior project. My group is to build a salt-fog chamber for our design course. I was wondering if there was a diagram or schematic showing how the electrical components were hooked up in the DIY salt-fog chamber made by Tom West in this thread?

Cody Maupin
- Lubbock, Texas, United States

Modifying salt spray chamber for G85 cyclic testing

I have to do both ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] and ASTM G85 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] A5 tests for my PhD project and, considering the cost for a prohesion testing chamber, it seems more reasonable to acquire a used salt spray chamber and apply some modifications to make it capable of cyclic tests (i.e., G85 A5).

According to G85 A5, fog in the cabinet should be removed in 1 hour sequences. Do you have any recommendations for the pump or fan to suck this highly corrosive fog out of the chamber?

Hossein Zargarnezhad
University of British Columbia - Vancouver, Canada