How to Choose a Salt Spray/Fog Test Chamber

adv.   auto technology banner

(2001)

Q. I was wondering as to how a choice of a salt spray chamber is made? Suppose I want to buy a salt spray chamber for corrosion testing what are the factors to be considered?

Asha Ingle
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

(2001)

A. 1. Buy only from a manufacturer that has a representative in your country.
- 1.1 Make sure that the representative can give you technical support when something goes wrong.
- 1.2 Make sure that the representative has spare parts in his stock.

2. Don't buy a cabinet if its volume is less than the minimum required according to ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] .

3. Don't buy a cabinet made of stainless steel, only from plastic. The SS will corrode.

sara michaeli
sara michaeli signature 
Sara Michaeli
chemical process supplier
Tel-Aviv, Israel

(2001)

A. I would like to add some suggestions to the previous reply regarding the selection of a salt spray chamber:

1. Compare the apparatus description in ASTM B117 to the equipment design and make sure it meets B117. (There is NO size requirement.)
2. Ask for references in your area and contact them.
3. Choose a size which will allow for ample space in the chamber.
4. Ask about utility requirements.
5. Ask about what other accessories may be needed which the manufacturer is not providing, such as air regulators, filters, etc.

Cynthia L. Meade
- Sylvania, Ohio, USA

(2001)

A. Look for flexibility in tests and ease of maintenance. If you buy a cabinet that can only run B117, that's all you'll get. A good cyclic cabinet will be able to not only run B117 but also CASS, SWAAT, humidity tests, etc.

For maintenance, make sure swapping out tubing, nozzles, heater elements, is relatively simple.

Also, as someone noted, get plastic. Stay away from coated steel. My experience has been the coating lasts a year (at most) and then fails. Even though you can patch it (which requires downtime), your cabinet will eventually corrode through.

You're best sticking with a brand name.

Christian M. Restifo
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

(1998)

RFQ: My company is very interested in purchasing a small (15 Cu Ft) salt spray cabinet

Colin P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Tucker, Georgia
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2003)

RFQ: Hi,

I am looking to buy a used salt spray chamber, minimum capacity 15 cubic feet. Please e-mail me.

George G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Senior Research Chemist - Naperville, Illinois
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

What's the smallest volume of a salt spray chamber?

RFQ: Where do I find to buy?

Sabrina Silva - Porto Alegre, R. grande do Sul, Brazil
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

A. Hi, Sabrina. I think I've seen chambers about 2 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot. See the banner at the top of this page for salt spray cabinet suppliers who make this forum possible. Good luck.