The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

Is Copper plating on Nickel possible?

Q. Hi, I recently came across a question on this website with someone asking about plating Cu on Ni. I was just wondering if it is actually possible. Since Cu has a lower SHE than Ni, I would not expect that to happen. I was wondering if somebody could throw more light on it.

Abhimanyu Bhat
PhD Student - Austin, Texas, USA

A. Hi, Abhimanyu.

We have 60 thousand threads on this site, so I can't find the one that you have in mind. If you can tell us the topic number, we can clarify in what ways we may be misunderstanding each other. I don't know what SHE is an acronym for, but plating copper onto nickel is not a problem at all. In fact, our FAQ "How Electroplating Works" shows school children how to plate copper onto nickels and quarters from an innocuous vinegar solution :-)

Electroplating copper on top of electroless nickel plating is an industrial commonplace.

A. I think that the SHE is for comparison to "standard hydrogen electrode"

Q. Then I look at Ted's comment that Cu over EN is common. Why would you do that?

Jim

A. Hi, Jim.

Copper is plated over EN in automotive copper-nickel-chrome scenarios. Plated plastic is started with EN, but the car manufacturers then plate copper before the nickel and chrome, apparently because the flexibility of the copper somehow helps them meet the thermal cycling requirements. In plating aluminum an alkaline electroless nickel strike can be used over the zincate; I remember a journal article claiming better corrosion resistance for cast aluminum wheels if they started with electroless nickel instead of cyanide copper.

Q. Can we electroplate nickel with copper? Are there any shortcomings as to why this shouldn't be done, if any

Muskaan Gupta
- Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

A. Hi Muskaan. This page tells you that "plating copper on nickel is not a problem ... an industrial commonplace ...", and that it's done on automotive plating on plastics, and on aluminum wheels. It's also very common to nickel plate steel before acid copper plating because steel can't directly be acid copper plated.

But as for whether there are "any shortcomings" or "[reasons] why this shouldn't be done"? That's asking the readers to conjure up hypothetical scenarios that are probably of no applicability anyway :-)    Instead, please tell us your situation so the readers can answer straightforwardly whether they see any problems with what you want to actually do.

thumbs up sign Thanks for telling this Ted. I was working on designing a copper electroplating practical cell and was looking for what materials can be coated without much fuss. Nickel should be it!

Muskaan Gupta
- Adelaide, Australia