Iron Electroplated to Non-Magnetic Surface

(2000)

Hello, I have a question that I hope you might shed some light on. Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

As part of a "tinkering" experiment, I find that I have a need for a strip of iron that has been electroplated to a thin, non-magnetic surface. The approximate dimensions being, 6" x 1" x 1/8". I have read that iron was electroplated in the past, but is not done much anymore.

After looking over your very nice website, I realize that I probably don't want to try this myself, unless plating iron doesn't involve the environmental hazards associated with the other commonly plated metals.

Can you give me an idea as to what is required to plate iron, and possibly referrals to someone that might be set up for iron plating.

If I win the lottery tonight, cost won't be a factor, but until that happens can you give me an idea what a project like this might cost ? Thank You,

Kirk Coppedge
- Arlington, Texas

(2000)

Iron plating is not commonly done because there are usually other, better alternatives. I say "usually" because iron plating is cumbersome and the deposit will easily rust. But iron also has its attractions (ha ha) - it is very hard and can withstand high temperatures without crazing. In any case, you definitely don't want to try iron plating in a non-industrial setting. Most plating is done out of acidic fluoroborate baths or the more corrosive chloride chemistry.

Depending on the geometry of your part and the thickness of the deposit you're looking for, contracting out a job such as yours shouldn't break the bank. So don't run down to the Lotto office just yet.

Megan Pellenz
- Syracuse, New York