topic 50226p3

Type 304 vs. type 202 stainless steel

< Prev. page          (You're on the last page of this topic)

SS 202 cutting and polish

Q. Hi, can anyone help me out with optimum cutting edge solution for cutting 202 stainless steel tubes, ranging 3/8 - 1 inc, all 1-1.5 mm thick? Currently I'm using abrasive cutter wheel for my work.

Q2. When I do electropolishing on SS 202 , the finish isn't good enough compared to SS 304. Is it possible to get mirror finish on SS 202 via electropolishing?

Sanjeev

Sanjeev Bordia
- Mumbai, Maharashtra , India

Ed. note:
No
abstract questions
Please!!

Q. Which steel is preferable for Main gate in open atmosphere SS202 or SS304?

Surender Kumar
- indore India

thumbs up sign Hi Surender. The general question of SS202 vs. SS304 atmospheric corrosion resistance has been addressed repeatedly on this page: 202 is cheaper; 304 is better and more trustworthy for exterior exposure. Ammit Gulati has stated that "there are many instances where 200-series grades have failed due to corrosion, such as when they have been used for components like handrails in exterior applications"

If you want a more finely grained answer, you must somehow ask a more finely grained question. Otherwise we are achieving nothing but badgering the generous people who have already repeatedly responded :-)

Thanks & Regards,

Can't thread SS 202 material

Q. Sir, how to do threading operation on SS 202 material? I have tried doing threading by flat die rolling machine but the die gets damaged very often, so please suggest what should I be doing?

Vinit Kavani
- Surendranagar, Gujarat, India

A. Hi Vinit,

You should check the material of the flat dies of the rolling machine, it's quite different from the ones used for carbon steel. And die material is vital for service life.

I didn't work with SS202, but SS302 and SS304L have nearly the same conformability and they can be threaded by flat die rolling machines provided the right materials for the dies and hardness of the raw material is not too high.

Hope it helps! Regards,

Daniel Montanes
TEL - N FERRARIS - Canuelas, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Q. Can I use 202 ss square pipe for my windows? My house is at Calicut Kerala. Should I opt 304 while considering quality. I want a long lasting one without any degradation in Kerala climate. My locality is not a coastal region. Kindly give a reply on terms of quality and sustainability.

Subi

Subi K Balakrishnan
Mmm - Calicut, Kerala, India

Q. I wish to manufacture SS hotpots or casserole which keeps hot food hot. Can I use SS 202 or 304? I tried to press SS 202 but it is developing cracks on the sides. I was told to use steel with high nickel content. As far as to my knowledge, high nickel content only prevents corrosion and rusting. Why is the hotpot or casserole cracking from the sides?

Parimal kumar
appliances - kolkata, India

A. Hi Parimal,

Nickel makes stainless more resistant to rust in certain conditions, but more than that, it is the responsible for its austenitic structure. Nickel makes austenite stable and improves speed of self-passivation, and makes all the part non-magnetic.

200-series replaces nickel with manganese, and this element doesn't stabilize austenite as nickel, so you can find other structures after or during cold-forming. You can find more sulfur in the alloy, if it is not informed in some certificate you should ask for it AND measure the raw material, you could be surprised what you can find in these low cost alloys.

Well, keep us posted! Best of luck!

Daniel Montanes

Q. This may not be the proper place for my question, but I need to start somewhere. In craft making, what type of stainless steel should I use for a cake tester? Does it need to be food grade since you stick it into food in the oven for a few seconds? Or can I just use a 16 gauge coil of rust proof stainless steel? Thanks.

Cindy Sullivan
- Merritt Island, Florida, USA

A. Hi Cindy. Although I suppose it's possible to find stainless steels that aren't 'food grade', most stainless steel is. Your flatware may be type 304, your steak knives type 420 or 440A, and pots & pans type 316 for example.

thumbs up sign Thanks Ted for your answer to my question re. SS cake testers. I get the impression I won't kill anybody with my homemade testers. (After all, they're just for family!)
Cindy Sullivan

Cindy Sullivan [returning]
- Merritt Island, Florida USA

Q. Hi. For Hotel Electric Room Kettles, what's the deal in using 204 stainless than 304 stainless? the 204 stainless kettle sample that I have seems more elegant and thicker in finish than the kettle with 304 stainless. Thanks!

Jenny Arienda
- Manila, Philippines

A. Hi Jenny. It is generally hopeless for a purchaser to try to select small appliances based on their supposed composition of stainless steel :-(

As you've read again & again on this page, type 304 stainless steel is in theory more corrosion resistant -- but that's probably a fact for manufacturers to weigh in deciding how to make their products. It's probably not a valid point for a purchaser since the designs might be different, with one or the other more likely to stay wet or be more difficult to clean ... or one may be passivated and the other not. If the one made of SS202 seems more elegant to you and thicker in finish, and you can't find trustable reviews for comparison, that's the one you should buy. Perhaps the two manufacturers had to meet the same price point and one elected to use thin SS304 while the other decided to go with a heavier gauge of the less expensive SS202. Good luck.

These are the specs, what grade Stainless is it?

Hello

Can you help me suggest grade for below composition?

T.S 668
ELONGATION 60
C 0.07
NI 8.6
CR 17

Can you suggest which grade this composition applies to?

I introduce myself: I am from Pakistan and I am an importer/wholesaler/vendor of different kinds of metal. In our country for one gov't origination we participated many times, but we are failed for price as our competitor gives a price very shocking. We test this grade in laboratory and find this content.

Per my knowledge this content applies for grade SUS303. Please you check which grade can apply. Thank you very much.

Naeem shah
Flagturn engineering & automation - Karachi, Pakistan

A. Hello Naeem,

It could either be SUS302, SUS303 or SUS304, but I don't see SUS303 with an elongation of 60% because of the addition of sulfur (which you didn't measure or inform). SUS303 elongation is usually near 35%.

Hope you can solve this!

Daniel Montanes

Q. Can 202 stainless steel will be useful for Induction cooktop.

Jatin Meshram
- Nagpur, Maharashtra, India

A. Hi Jatin. My understanding is that despite its fairly low nickel content, type 202 stainless is non-magnetic and thus not useful for induction cooking.

SS304 and SS202 Tanks for Food Oil

Q. Are SS304 and SS202 food grade Steel?
Can I use either of them for making oil storage tanks?

Ramakrishna Maganti
- Hyderabad,India

A. Hi Ramakrishna. I would expect that those materials are satisfactory for oil storage; and your inquiry will hopefully draw some additional responses.

But I would note that materials that will be in contact with foodstuffs tend to be highly regulated by bodies like NSFA and the FDA, and there are situations where only SS316 is allowed. I would suggest checking codes before relying on personal opinions. Good luck.

Q.
SS202 vs SS410
I have to use this material for application of 700-800 °C and I want corrosion resistance to it. Is SS202 suitable (as SS410 is getting corrosion which is causing trouble for movement application)?

Mohit Patil
Dynalec Controls - Pune, Maharashtra, India

A. Hi Mohit. It seems that the general rule is that 202 Stainless Steel is more corrosion resistant than series 4xx but less corrosion resistant than series 3xx.

A.
AISI 202 should be better, but for better corrosion resistance for that temperature range you should seek for a refractory SS, as AISI 310/314.

Daniel Montanes

Q. Is SS202 suitable for storing foodstuffs such as grains, nuts, etc? If not, then which grade suits?

Larry Kam

Ralls Texas Grain Silos 2010

50226-2b

A. Hi Larry. Hopefully a designer who is skilled in silos, or a homemaker who uses a kitchen canister for walnuts, or both, will reply :-)
Seriously, please try to help yourself by drawing the interest of those who can help you by avoiding abstract questions and carefully detailing your own situation. Thanks, and good luck!

Thanks for an excellent education into world of SS.
I understand that SS202 is more prone to corrosion than e.g. 304. However, what does that mean in practice? For example, an outdoor product such as a barbecue where everything from the hood to the work surface is made of SS202? Should I expect that such a product will show rust stains if left outdoors all year round?
The supplier markets this as a "stainless rust free" product but after reading up on this thread I am beginning to question this statement.
It would be great if I could get some advice on this as the product costs several thousand USD.
Thanks in advance! Tomas

Tomas Wolf
- Uppsala, Sweden

A. Hi Tomas. SS304 is better than SS202 which is better than SS430. But unfortunately, I think the only way to know if this SS202 barbecue will be satisfactory is to check better business bureau reports, Amazon reviews, references from other buyers, Yelp reviews, or ask friends & neighbors. Sales pap never constitutes a proper manufacturing process review, and you don't know whether the stainless was properly passivated, whether some of it for some reason has a clear coat on it, whether the burners cause hot spots on the cover which will discolor it, whether the screws, rivets, and hinge pins are 202SS, etc.

I hope someone else will respond, but after spending over 50 years in the metal finishing industry, I have no confidence in my own ability to determine good purchases from sales descriptions. I've owned many stainless gas grills in my life and the only thing I can say with confidence is that people will be happy with a Weber (and I never even inquired what grade SS it was, but checked just now and it is strongly magnetic) and they'll probably be unhappy with many brands (I don't know what grade SS they were).

Read the warranty very carefully -- it will provide the key to whether the grill manufacturer promises to meet your aesthetic requirements or not. And when you clean the grill, use only what the manufacturer suggests; never use any product that has acid or chlorine bleach in it. Best of luck!

thumbs up sign Many thanks for your advice and above all, many thanks for taking the time to share your expertise and experiences!
All the best, Tomas

Tomas Wolf [returning]
- Uppsala, Sweden

Q. IS 202 GRADE IS SUITABLE FOR CRYOGENIC USE?

Radhakrishnan Unnithan
Beerensgas [I]Pvt Ltd - Hospet City, Karnataka state-India

Q. Hi I am vakil khan From Abu Dhabi. My question: can I use SS 202 on the Roof area for pump installation or not? But very near to see our building?

Vaki khan
mechanical QA and QC - Abu dhabi UAE

A. Hi Vaki. Your question is a bit vague. I think you are asking whether the appearance will be satisfactory vs. whether it will be rusty? You are quite near the sea, and I've never been to the area. Personally, I would use properly passivated 304 SS, maybe even 316 SS unless I already saw a good range of examples of 202 SS successfully employed on buildings in the area.

Hopefully an architect of HVAC engineer from the area will offer a comment.

Ed. note:
No
abstract questions
Please!!

Q. Which steel grade is best for steel main gate 8.6*11 foot... 202 ss or 304. Please give suggestions

PAWAN JISHI
- GULABPURA,BHILWARA RAJASTHAN

A. Hi Pawan. Please try to start your inquiry with who you are and what you do ... because if you were an engineer designing such gates, my answer would be that 304 is a more robustly dependable material. But if you are a consumer buying such a gate -- which I think you are because you specified the dimensions -- my answer is that you cannot predict the quality of an item from its sales pap :-)

Q. Which is the most cost effective SS grade for making kitchen hoods and why? SS304, SS440, SS205, SS202?

Vikram Rajput
consultant - NEW DELHI, INDIA

A. Hi Vikram. SS440 is razor blade steel and seems to me to offer strengths you probably wouldn't need in a range hood without offering the corrosion resistance of the austenitics. I personally think that 304SS has proven itself over the decades and would prefer it, but the 2xx stainless steels are a bit cheaper.

Still, I think you may find that the logistics end up being more important than a theoretical analysis. If you can find one composition well-stocked locally in the needed gauges, with the finish you want, with protective paper or plastic that will suit your shears and brakes and other handling, that may be what you want -- you don't want to have two hundred range hoods 98% finished in your work-in-progress and have to wait 6 weeks for material to finish them up :-)

Ed. note:
No
abstract questions
Please!!

Q. If SS304 is used instead of SS202 in stair railing in a residential building of outside, is there any extra benefit in terms of look and durability

Lucky negi
- Delhi india

A. Hi Negi. Assuming that you are the contractor installing this, a frequent answer for 12 years on this thread is that SS304 is more expensive, more corrosion resistant, and 'better' than SS202 -- and thus it's a safer choice for you. Some participants talked specifically about stairways, window grills, and railings and felt that only SS304 or SS316 should be used. Ammit Gulati has stated that "there are many instances where 200-series grades have failed due to corrosion, such as when they have been used for components like handrails in exterior applications"

Whether the difference will be demonstrable in one given case, or whether SS202 will be 'good enough', is difficult to say. Readers are welcome to quote exposure studies on the topic to support or refute Amit's claim but I'm not personally aware of any.

If you are the owner of the residence, choosing between bids, it's a different question entirely however because I personally feel that it is impossible to judge quality & durability from sales pap about raw materials ... and that you must instead choose a reputable contractor. Good luck!

What welding rod for 302 SS?

Q. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHAT IS THE APPROPRIATE WELDING ROD REQUIRED TO WELD SS202 MATERIAL LIKE HAND RAILING, AND LIGHT STRUCTURE? ALSO PLEASE MENTION THE CHEMICAL COMPOSITION AND NAME OF THE WELDING ROD.

BIRANCHI RATH
- BHUBANESWAR, ODISHA, INDIA

thumbs up sign Hi Biranchi. That question was asked on this thread in 2014 and never attracted enough interest to get an answer :-(

Hopefully someone will do so one this time around, but we keep trying to tell posters that they can greatly improve the chances of someone taking the time to answer by making your question as informative & interesting as they can ... i.e., have you tried welding it, what welding rod did you try and what was its composition, what results did you get that make you thingk there's a better rod? Thanks!

Q. Would SS202 grade serve the purpose for high temperature applications specifically between 600-800 °C if my lifespan target is for 5+ years. the application is in the high temperature ovens without any presence of corrosive chemicals.

Or do I need to use higher thickness of SS202 to serve my purpose?

nishat belwadi
- bardez goa, India

Q. Is 202 grade SS is food grade? I meet many SS utensils manufacturer's near me to buy 304 SS food grade home appliances. But, they all says they manufacturers only 202 grade SS utensils. Can I sell them as a food grade utensils? Will it be safe for customers?

Vishal Nagar
- Ahmedabad City, India