topic 50226 p3

Type 304 vs. type 202 stainless steel

< Prev. page          Next page >

Q. Hi, have read the whole thread above and understand that 304 is more resistant to corrosion than 202 and more expensive due to nickel content. I'm specifically looking at products like steel lunch boxes and bottles. Would 202 be sufficient for all practical purposes? Also what about 4xx steel? I'm thinking of 4xx to use the magnetic properties - but any concerns in using it for food? Thanks so much!

Sirisha Gi
- Mumbai, India

Q. Is ss 202 good for food grade?
There is any chemical reactions when we use it??
Or SS304? Which is best for food grade?
Please suggest?

v rama krishna
- Tenali, Andhra Pradesh, India

A. Hi cousins. I just finished answering that question to the best of my ability as someone from the metal finishing industry in the USA. Someone from the food service industry in India must chime in with an answer rather than people repeating the questions, if we are to make progress.

SS 202 cutting and polish

Q. Hi, can anyone help me out with optimum cutting edge solution for cutting 202 stainless steel tubes, ranging 3/8 - 1 inc, all 1-1.5 mm thick? Currently I'm using abrasive cutter wheel for my work.

Q2. When I do electropolishing on SS 202 , the finish isn't good enough compared to SS 304. Is it possible to get mirror finish on SS 202 via electropolishing?

Sanjeev

Sanjeev Bordia
- Mumbai, Maharashtra , India

Q. Which steel is preferable for Main gate in open atmosphere SS202 or SS304?

Surender Kumar
- indore India

thumbs up sign Hi Surender. The general question of SS202 vs. SS304 atmospheric corrosion resistance has been addressed again & again on this page: 202 is cheaper; 304 is better and more trustworthy for exterior exposure.

If you want a more finely grained answer, you must ask a more finely grained question. Otherwise we are simply badgering the generous people who have already repeatedly responded :-)

Can't thread SS 202 material

Q. Sir, how to do threading operation on SS 202 material? I have tried doing threading by flat die rolling machine but the die gets damaged very often, so please suggest what should I be doing?

Vinit Kavani
- Surendranagar, Gujarat, India

A. Hi Vinit,

You should check the material of the flat dies of the rolling machine, it's quite different from the ones used for carbon steel. And die material is vital for service life.

I didn't work with SS202, but SS302 and SS304L have nearly the same conformability and they can be threaded by flat die rolling machines provided the right materials for the dies and hardness of the raw material is not too high.

Hope it helps! Regards,

Daniel Montanes
TEL - N FERRARIS - Canuelas, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Q. Can I use 202 ss square pipe for my windows? My house is at Calicut Kerala. Should I opt 304 while considering quality. I want a long lasting one without any degradation in Kerala climate. My locality is not a coastal region. Kindly give a reply on terms of quality and sustainability.

Subi

Subi K Balakrishnan
Mmm - Calicut, Kerala, India

Q. I wish to manufacture SS hotpots or casserole which keeps hot food hot. Can I use SS 202 or 304? I tried to press SS 202 but it is developing cracks on the sides. I was told to use steel with high nickel content. As far as to my knowledge, high nickel content only prevents corrosion and rusting. Why is the hotpot or casserole cracking from the sides?

Parimal kumar
appliances - kolkata, India

A. Hi Parimal,

Nickel makes stainless more resistant to rust in certain conditions, but more than that, it is the responsible for its austenitic structure. Nickel makes austenite stable and improves speed of self-passivation, and makes all the part non-magnetic.

200-series replaces nickel with manganese, and this element doesn't stabilize austenite as nickel, so you can find other structures after or during cold-forming. You can find more sulfur in the alloy, if it is not informed in some certificate you should ask for it AND measure the raw material, you could be surprised what you can find in these low cost alloys.

Well, keep us posted! Best of luck!

Daniel Montanes

Q. This may not be the proper place for my question, but I need to start somewhere. In craft making, what type of stainless steel should I use for a cake tester? Does it need to be food grade since you stick it into food in the oven for a few seconds? Or can I just use a 16 gauge coil of rust proof stainless steel? Thanks.

Cindy Sullivan
- Merritt Island, Florida, USA

A. Hi Cindy. Although I suppose it is possible to find a stainless steel that isn't 'food grade', most stainless steel is. Your flatware may be type 316SST, your steak knives type 420 or 440A, and pots & pans type 18/0 for example.

thumbs up sign Thanks Ted for your answer to my question re. SS cake testers. I get the impression I won't kill anybody with my homemade testers. (After all, they're just for family!)
Cindy Sullivan

Cindy Sullivan [returning]
- Merritt Island, Florida USA

Q. Hi. For Hotel Electric Room Kettles, what's the deal in using 204 stainless than 304 stainless? the 204 stainless kettle sample that I have seems more elegant and thicker in finish than the kettle with 304 stainless. Thanks!

Jenny Arienda
- Manila, Philippines

A. Hi Jenny. It is probably hopeless for a purchaser to try to select small appliances based on their supposed composition of stainless steel :-(

As you've read again & again on this page, type 304 stainless steel is in theory more corrosion resistant -- but that's probably a fact for manufacturers to weigh in deciding how to make their products. It's probably not a valid point for a purchaser since the designs might be different, with one or the other more likely to stay wet or be more difficult to clean ... or one may be passivated and the other not. If the one made of 304 seems more elegant to you and thicker in finish, and you can't find trustable reviews for comparison, that's the one you should buy. Good luck.

These are the specs, what grade Stainless is it?

Hello

Can you help me suggest grade for below composition?

T.S 668
ELONGATION 60
C 0.07
NI 8.6
CR 17

Can you suggest which grade this composition applies to?

I introduce myself: I am from Pakistan and I am an importer/wholesaler/vendor of different kinds of metal. In our country for one gov't origination we participated many times, but we are failed for price as our competitor gives a price very shocking. We test this grade in laboratory and find this content.

Per my knowledge this content applies for grade SUS303. Please you check which grade can apply. Thank you very much.

Naeem shah
Flagturn engineering & automation - Karachi, Pakistan

A. Hello Naeem,

It could either be SUS302, SUS303 or SUS304, but I don't see SUS303 with an elongation of 60% because of the addition of sulfur (which you didn't measure or inform). SUS303 elongation is usually near 35%.

Hope you can solve this!

Daniel Montanes

Q. Can 202 stainless steel will be useful for Induction cooktop.

Jatin Meshram
- Nagpur, Maharashtra, India

A. Hi Jatin. My understanding is that despite its fairly low nickel content, type 202 stainless is non-magnetic and thus not useful for induction cooking.

SS304 and SS202 Tanks for Food Oil

Q. Are ss304 and ss202 food grade Steel?
Can I use either of them for making oil storage tanks?

Ramakrishna Maganti
- Hyderabad,India

A. Hi Ramakrishna. I would expect that those materials are satisfactory for oil storage; and your inquiry will hopefully draw some additional responses.

But I would note that materials that will be in contact with foodstuffs tend to be highly regulated by bodies like NSFA and the FDA, and I would suggest checking codes before relying on personal opinions. Good luck.

Q.
SS202 vs SS410
I have to use this material for application of 700-800 °C and I want corrosion resistance to it. Is SS202 suitable (as SS410 is getting corrosion which is causing trouble for movement application)?

Mohit Patil
Dynalec Controls - Pune, Maharashtra, India

A. Hi Mohit. It seems that the general rule is that 202 Stainless Steel is more corrosion resistant than series 4xx but less corrosion resistant than series 3xx.

A.
AISI 202 should be better, but for better corrosion resistance for that temperature range you should seek for a refractory SS, as AISI 310/314.

Daniel Montanes