Type 304 vs. type 202 stainless steel

Q. I purchase housewares for a US retailer, a foreign manufacturer has told me that 202 grade SS is also approved for the food industry. I have not been able to verify this with the FDA. Other than the low Ni content of 202 SS, how different is it from SS 304? Are there any known implications or reactions in the human body? Any references would also be greatly appreciated.

Ann Nurouz
Buyer - New York, New York

"Stainless Steels"
by ASM

A. The major differences between 202 and 304 stainless steels are in the nickel and chromium contents. 202 has 16-18% chromium and 0.5-4.0% nickel, whilst 304 has 18-20% chromium and 8-10.5% nickel. There are other minor differences in the amount of carbon (0.08% in 304 and 0.12% in 202), manganese (2% in 304 and 5.5-7.5% in 202), as well as slight differences in the silicon, phosphorus and molybdenum contents. Both are austenitic steels and are essentially non-magnetic, but will become temporarily magnetic by working them. The manganese helps preserve the austenitic phase in the steels, as does the nickel. I can see an attraction in some people for using the 202 steel as it contains less nickel, and there is concern amongst some folk that they are sensitive to nickel. However. as far as I am aware, nickel containing stainless steels have not been shown to cause nickel sensitivity - however, I am willing to be shown to be wrong here.

Q. Can we use magnetic steel for kitchen utensils (is it hygienic and non-rusting)?
And what's the best choice of ss types, and cheapest also to make stainless steel kitchen utensils like basins, mugs, milk pots, etc.
Thank you, and awaiting your kind reply

Dr. Abbas Sholgami
holloware factory - UAE

A. You can use magnetic stainless steels if you want to, but the most usual stainless steels are 304 and 316 grades

A. True, but knives are usually some variant of 400 SS which is magnetic. So, what is a utensil?

Q. CAN WE USE STAINLESS STEEL KITCHEN UTENSILS LIKE DEEP AND FLAT BASINS, TRAYS, BOWLS USING STAINLESS STEEL GRADE SS410? HOW HYGIENIC IS IT AND WHICH IS MORE EASY TO PRESS (WHICH IS SOFTER) SS410 OR SS304?
ALSO HOW TO POLISH MANUALLY SS410 SURFACE BA?

THANK YOU

Dr.Abbas Sholgami [returning]
holloware factory - SUDAN

"Stainless Steel for Design Engineers"

from Abe Books or

A. Hi Dr. Abbas. 4xx stainless steels are less expensive than type 304 because they contain no nickel. They are less corrosion resistant and more prone to rusting, but they are sometimes used for kitchen utensils. Type 304 work hardens, so it is probably hard to press complicated shapes; I don't really know about type 410, but it probably doesn't work harden.

How to recognize 304SS vs. 202SS

Q. How to recognize between 304 and 202, what is the method?

ajaz peerzade
engineering - nasik,maharashtra,india

A. Hi, Ajaz. X-ray fluorescence is fast and non-destructive, but the instruments are quite costly ($35,000+ USD)

There may be spark tests or chemical spot tests, but 202 is relatively new, apparently intended to be hard to tell from 304 but be cheaper, and I haven't seen any real easy cheap tests, sorry.

Q. Is there any method to physically identify the difference between the SS304 & SS202, or any equipment available in market?

Abhilash Parakkalakath
- Kochi, Kerala, India

A. Hi Abhilash. Your question appears to be identical to Ajaz Peerzade's. A hand-held x-ray fluorescence alloy sorter should do the job quickly & easily ... but they are expensive. Good luck.

October 5, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. How can I detect ss 304 and ss 202 jars using simple methods?

ANAND P
- INDIA

Hi Anand. An x-ray fluorescence scrap sorter is the 'simple' method. But it's very costly. See if a nearby scrap yard can sort them for you. Good luck.

Welding 202SS

Q. Is 202 grade SS as easy to weld as 304? Or is 202 is similar in weldability to 430?

Phillip Dakhnovets
- Athens, Ohio, USA

Q. Which welding is possible to weld in SS202?

Ilam parithi
engng. college - Ramanathapuram, Tamilnadu, INDIA

Q. Can I use ss202 in my city for stair railing? Is it good?

Surendra Taparia
- Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India

Q. What is the difference between 202 and 304 finish in terms of quality and durability?

Shabbir Sajjadhusain
Building Hardware Materials - Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka

Is 202 stainless non-magnetic?

Q. Hi

I work with NMR instrument which has a ultra shielded superconducting magnet (9.4T) as one part of the instrumentation, other being electronic console. We typically need to climb few wooden steps to reach top of the cylinder which houses the magnet. I want to install railings on both side of these wooden steps to prevent falling from the steps. Is it OK to use SS 202 as material of construction for the railing? I want non-magnetic SS which will not get attracted to the magnet.

Thanks for your help.

Vivek K
- India

A. Hi Vivek. This sounds to me like an application where true and complete freedom from magnetism is essential. Is there a good reason you can't use aluminum railings?

Q. SS 202 material is Magnetic or Non-Magnetic.

Please confirm.

DINESH NITHIANANDAM
cement - Trichy, Tamilnadu, India

A. Hi Dinesh. The short answer is that 202 is an austenitic, non-magnetic, stainless steel. But we asked you to post your own situation, not an abstract question because the longer answer starts with "Why do you want to know?" Although it is non-magnetic as annealed, cold working can introduce various degrees of magnetic effects. Due to it's lack of molybdenum, it is more subject to magnetism from cold-working than type 316; I think it's perhaps slightly less subject to such effects than type 304 -- but such answers aren't totally yes or no. A neodymium magnet may attract it too. If your situation is like Vivek's, I'd say 202 is not safely non-magnetic. Good luck.

Q. If SS304 is used instead of SS202 in stair railing in a residential building, is there any extra benefit in terms of look and durability?

Ikbal Ahmed Choudhury
Civil Engineer - Karimganj, Assam, India

A. For an interior handrail, I'd consider 304 and 202 to be pretty identical, because I'm thinking of corrosion resistance in that application (both acceptable) and strength (again, both acceptable). I'm not sufficiently familiar with the formability of 202 to know if it's good, but I'd bet that would be reflected in the price. If the price was right, I'd go with the 202.

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

(You're on the 1st page of this topic)       Next page >