How to dull down new tin backsplash

(-----) February 18, 2008

JUST RECEIVED NEW TIN SHEETS FOR BACK SPLASH AROUND COUNTER TOP & STOVE REF WALLS. IT'S TOO SHINY. NEED TO DULL IT DOWN AS IT'S A SMALL APARTMENT THAT ADJOINS THE LIVING ROOM. CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME ADVISE? SANDRA

SANDRA ROMAN
- MONTAUK, New York.
^

Are you sure these sheets are tin (element #50) as opposed to steel sheet metal with a galvanized or other metallic finish on them, Sandra? Try to confirm what kind of metal you have, and then search the site for dulling and patinating treatments for that particular metal.

I am not trying to be difficult, but different metals react differently to different reagents. So, asking how to dull a metal before you know what it is, is unfortunately a bit like asking what to add to a mystery white powder to make brownies. You really can't start until you know whether it's flour, baking soda, or arsenic :-) Good luck.

^

I had a new 20 ga galvanized sheet metal top made for an outdoor table, and I want to dull / age the finish. I've heard of using copper sulfate, Baking Soda , muriatic, phosphoric, vinegar, chlorine, salt, and others... I DON'T want to remove the galvanize, just dull it.

Mike Nonella
hobbyist - Santa Rosa, California
^

Hi, Mike. Letter 7671 offers a number of alternatives. Personally, for the chemical approaches, I think I like the suggestion to try phosphoric acid. For a mechanical treatment, I like the Pumice [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] idea (but I've actually tried neither). Good luck!

^