-----

"Stiffel lamps: How to repair Q&A's"

Disambiguation:
This thread is mostly about how the lamps work, where to get parts, and how to repair them or find repair services. We have many threads on the subject of brass lamp cleaning, re-plating, and refinishing, including:

Thread 7229, "How to refinish brass lamps"
Thread 8423, "How do I remove brass plating at home?"
Thread 14342 "Stiffel lamp cleaning, refinishing, replating Q&A's"
Thread 17880, "What to do when brass lamps start to get black spots"
Thread 45165, "Seeking Stiffel lamp refinishing / reconditioning"

Current question:

Q. I have a Stiffel pharmacy lamp. The arm has a clamp that allows you to adjust the height of the light. But the plastic insert that the clamp puts pressure on broke. Do you know where I can get a new plastic insert.

The lamp looks like this with the screw clamp at top where the arm bends.

33143-9

Milt Morris
- Sacramento, California
^

A. Hi Milt. If I am understanding the pic correctly, that piece of plastic looks like what we call a "flange bearing" or "flange bushing".

Google for "plastic flange bushing" and see if you can find something the right size.

^

Previous closely related Q&A's starting in:

2006

Q. We have a huge turn of the century (1890-1900, that is!) gas & electric chandelier from Pittsburg (I always misspell that -- did I?) We will rewire for all electric but are missing a piece. I have 2 questions...
How do I find out manufacturer and possible other pieces/parts available?
How to refinish and not make it look too shiny new? Want it to look bright but old.

Jan S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
remodeler - Akron, Ohio
^

sidebar 2006

thumbs up signYou did good on the spelling, Jan -- always spell the shorter way; spell 'ax' without an 'e' because misspelling a 3-letter word is bad, but misspelling a 2-letter word is unthinkable! Same idea with "burg". Your spelling won you a cheeseburgher!

Stick with this thread for a discussion of pieces/parts, and see the 'disambiguation' note for threads about refinishing.

^

2006

Q. I am not sure what to write here since I am not a company just someone who needs to find a place to have my Stiffel lamp repaired. last night my lamp exploded a light bulb .... first one light bulb went out in a flash ... so I replaced it .... and the new one exploded ... the bulb was only 60 W, this lamp can take a 150 3 way ...
stiffel lamp 33143

I love this lamp (it is one of a set) .. can anyone tell me where I might be able to get it repaired?

Debbie Forsyth
- Floral Park, New York
^

2006

"Repairing, Rewiring, and Restoring Lamps and Lighting Fixtures"

A. The required repair--probably installing a new bulb socket--is very very low tech, Debbie. Virtually any handyman anywhere can do it. In bygone days every neighborhood had a "fix-it shop"; you might try that term or "small appliance repair" in your yellow pages. If you have no luck with those terms, any electrician can obtain and install the required part.

3-way 150-watt sockets have two hot leads, one for the 50 Watt filament, one for the 100 Watt. As such, the socket is a bit more 'crowded' than a single wattage socket, and I'm guessing that screwing a bulb in is probably shorting things out because of corrosion or other damage. Good luck!

^

stiffel lamp 45165-2
2007

RFQ: I have an old Stiffel lamp from my mother with the crest No. of 509 on the bottom. It needs some repair. What or where can I go to have this done?

Virginia Brewer
- Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
^

outdated

Q. I have a Stiffel floor shiny brass lamp. It takes 3 regular bulbs and in the middle there is a socket for a "PS" bulb. I want to know where I can buy a PS bulb and do they make them in the energy efficient variety. Secondly, the lamp is missing the harp to which the shade attaches. The lamp doesn't look like it uses the standard harp. Where can I get a harp to fit?
Thanks for your help.

ann donohoe
- Phoenix, Arizona USA
^

Pulse Start Bulb

A. Hi, Ann. This sounds new enough that there ought to be an instruction manual with it or freely available for download on the internet. I'd hate to guess at something like this, but it probably means "pulse start" -- a metal halide^ halogen bulb that requires only two contact points because the ballast is built into the bulb =>
This bulb would already be somewhat energy efficient.

Googling led me to a site for lamp harps called mylampparts.com, and there are probably others. Good luck.

^

A. This answer is very late for the Oct 2009 question, but thought I'd share. I believe the Stiffel lamp the person had acquired was what is considered the 8-way light. The center does not have a harp. A glass diffuser usually sits aiming up and then the lamp shade sits on that. The lamp shade's cross pieces have a dip in them which holds the lampshade in place . The bulb that goes in the middle is a mogul base bulb. You can purchase an adapter and use regular bulbs. You can find the diffusers on Amazon or get lucky sometimes at a flea market (I was on a quest for one as my lamp got knocked over, so I have experience with this!) The diffuser usually is described as "milk glass diffuser" and they usually have a waffle like imprint on them. Both my sister and I have almost the same lamp and both have same diffuser.

Jen Cloutier
- Duluth, Georgia, usa
^

A. There was an October 5, 2009 answer on this thread that referenced pulse start metal halide bulbs.

We used to use such things. They have largely been obsoleted, at least here, but I cannot imagine that they were ever, in any way, associated with Stiffel lamps. They were used in enclosed fixtures on the sides of buildings, got very hot, had external ballasts, and sometimes failed dramatically. You weren't supposed to look at the light, although I assume it was okay if you were far away.

Richard Wehe
- Raleigh North Carolina
^

thumbs up sign Thanks, Richard. You are surely correct, and I have fixed the posting. I don't remember why I wrote "metal halide" -- maybe I assumed "halogen" and "metal halide" meant the same thing -- but I was obviously quite wrong!

^

Q. My son has inherited 3 Stiffel Lamps that were purchased back between 1970 - 72. One lamp has a milk glass globe that the bulb fits into by screwing in - that globe has broken. Where can he purchase one. He lives in CT.

Cheryl Horton
lamp owner - Grand Rapids, Connecticut
^

Need to replace a Stiffel lampshade

Q. Hoping to find a replacement shade for a lamp I purchased 30 years ago. Dimensions are: 15" top, 15-16" bottom and 20" slant. 1" to 2" drop. It was a Stiffel and can't seem to find a replacement.

thank you

regards

Penny

Penny Massoth
private inquiry - Kent, Washington, USA
^

Q. I have a Stiffel lamp with a stripped thread on the center post and base, Where do I replace these items?

Diane Holdren
- Sequim, Washington, USA
^

A. Hi, folks.

lampstuff.com, mylampparts.com, txlampparts.com, grandbrass.com, and antiquelampsupply.com are a few sources for parts. Amazon has a few Stiffel parts listed. Good luck.

^

Q. I have a Stiffel floor lamp that fell over & broke the milk colored glass shade that holds the fabric lamp shade.I would like to replace the glass globe but local lamp shops can't find a supplier. Can you help me? Joe Kiely

Joseph Kiely
homeowner - Annapolis, Maryland USA
^

A. antiquelampco.com/Catalog/Diffusers.htm

Ondrea Wein
- Miami, Florida
^

Q. Thirty year old Stiffel brass floor lamp with three 60 watt bulb and a 3 way 150 watt center bulb. The center electrical connections deteriorate into burned pieces. Where can I obtain replacement parts and instruction?

tom jennings
- fort worth, texas, USA
^

Removing shade from old Stiffel lamp

Q. My neighbor gave us two Stiffel lamps about 38" tall and I have to replace one the bulb sockets, but how do I remove the milk glass shade without breaking it?

Dan Plocica
- Avon Lake, Ohio, USA
^

A. Hi Dan. There are a dozen different ways to build lamps and attach their shades. If you can send a photo to mooney@finishing.com, the readers may be able to figure it out. Thanks.

^

A. Solution: removing stuck glass shade from old Stiffel lamp

I have an old Stiffel lamp with glass shade. The shade is not held with set screws, instead it is just fitted to the sheet metal brass base that attaches to the column. I tried many times to twist, turn, pull etc. to get the shade off. No luck. It would not even turn. I wrote to Stiffel and they advised: spray the shade with WD40. Let it soak a minute or two. Then pull the shade upwards. It works! The gentleman at Stiffel told me that the shade gets baked on due to the heat. The shade is held on with some spring clips that will release by an upward pull after oiling Hope this helps someone!

Phil Lederer
- Rochester New York
^

Q. I have a Stiffel floor lamp purchased in 1988 048 2264-L. It has just fallen apart without a great deal of use. Its joints are wobbly. I had it in to a light place twice and they tried to put it together so it wouldn't fall apart, but it is falling apart again. We don't use it often as that is not where we sit when we are home alone but it does get moved when we vacuum. I would love to have it repaired but don't know any place near where we live in Washington state.

Joyce Johnson
- Mt. Vernon, Washington
^

Q. I purchased a Stiffel lamp in pieces at an auction. The lamp socket displays "Underwriters' Laboratories Listed portable lamp Issue no D-2519". Although the lampholder is marked LEVITON and has a turn switch, there is a push switch inside the base, operated by sliding tubes with collars and coil springs inside the main pillar. Can anyone direct me to a source where an exploded view sketch can be accessed? Any other form of info will also be appreciated.

Dave Germishuizen
Retired Pilot and handyman - Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
^

Q. I also purchased a Stiffel floor lamp with the switch being part of the lamp pole. The switch doesn't work, I need to fix it, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

A. In addition, I've noticed a lot of questions on this site about cleaning up brass. I have cleaned many mid-century lamps that were brass plated and looked hopeless, into gleaming, beautiful examples. The secret is a lot of elbow grease and Barkeepers Friend [affil. link to info/product on Amazon]. If the brass is in rough shape I use the Barkeepers Friend liquid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] and a sponge. If it looks hopeless I use the powder version (make a paste with a little water) and one of those off white, soft, non scratch pads with the plastic netting that 3M makes. Before you know it, the brass looks great. And, if you really want to gleam, use a good brass polish after -- Wright's Brass Polish [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] comes to mind.

Hopefully I helped someone, and hopefully someone can help me.

Brandt Irvine
- Croton on Hudson, New York USA
^

----
Ed. note Sept. 2019: Please see response from Bea Koempel-Thomas, which references the Stiffel patent where you can see good sketches of how it works.

A. Hi Brandt. Thanks for the polishing tips.

There are a number of places which offer lamp parts and which claim to have experts available to help you. I think if you google "stiffel lamp switches", and ignore the ads for lamps and department stores, you can easily locate 2 or 3 or more such stores who you can phone, and describe the switch to, and they will get you what you need.

In general, switches don't "break", they wear out -- so a repair usually consists of replacing the switch rather than trying to disassemble and adjust it in some fashion. Good luck.

^

August 20, 2016 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Where can I obtain repair parts for a tall 30 year old Stiffel floor lamp?

James Day
- Oxford, Mississippi USA
^

A. Hi James. We appended your inquiry to a thread which includes a number of possible sources. Please try them and update the list with your findings.

^

Q. I have a Stiffel floor lamp on which the lampshade screws onto the socket piece, then the light bulb screws into the socket. The socket needs replacing. How do I find that kind of socket? I need a substantial socket due to the weight of the shade.

Carol Ghaffari
- Vancouver, Washington
^

Q. My mom left me a 1950s 1960s Stiffel Pagoda lamp. It was originally green but she had it painted pink to match her decor. I want to restore the lamp to the original color. Where can I have this done? It still also has the original shade....the pink is gross LOL.

Kim Pierce
- usa
^

sidebar2 January 13, 2017

Q. What is the best way to clean pleated lamp shades. Not sure what the material is, feels like a heavy paper.

Pat Russo
- Estero Florida USA
^

A. Hello,
I am the manager of the retail store which is attached to the facility that manufactures Stiffel Lamps. We do offer this service and I will be glad to assist you.

Ron DeCicco
Stiffel Lamp Co. - Linden, New Jersey
^

"All About Lamps: Construction, Repair and Restoration"

Q. I have a Stiffel lamp I purchased from Tuesday Morning. Its shade will not balance due to a stripped screw on top of the center frame or harp. It is a classic brass desk lamp with two bulbs on chains. My OC is annoyed because I cannot straighten it. Can it be repaired?

Sandra Henson
- Maumelle, Arkansas
^

A. Hi. Depending on whether it is the stud or the nut which is stripped, it can be replaced if you can find one. But most people most of the time live with stripped threads for lampshades one way or another. If it's the nut that's stripped, you can pick up a "jam nut" at a hardware store -- this is a thin hex nut you would use to secure the shade, then just sort of lay the old brass nut on top. Alternately, you can wrap thin string around the thread and usually get enough bite to use your existing stud and nut because there is no substantial load on it; just don't try this approach to hold the landing gear onto an airliner :-)

^

Q. Hello, I have a beautiful vintage Stiffel lamp with Lenox base ... How can I determine the appropriate bulb wattage for this lamp?

Thank you for any insight!

Erin Ambrose
- Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA
^

A. Hi Erin. Simplest answer would be to just use an LED bulb because they use less than one quarter the power and generate one quarter the heat, so there is pretty much no way you would exceed the design rating of the lamp.

^

Q. Movers broke my old swing arm Stiffel floor lamp, at the joint, any place in the county repair them. Thank you.

Michael Metzger
- Davenport, Iowa USA
^

Q. I have a brass table lamp that is about 37 years old, and it has a clear glass orb in the middle of it. The wind blew it over and broke the glass orb. I need a supplier to buy a replacement glass orb.

Susan Rose
owner - South Lake Tahoe, California, US
^

Q. My Stiffel 8 way lamp has a central pole switch that broke. Someone previously disassembled the pole mechanism and I don't know in what order all the parts go back into the pole. Does anyone have a schematic of the lamp?

Jim Campbell
- Greenhurst, New York
^

----

Stiffel replacement lamp switch

stiffel lamp 33143-3

Q. I purchased 2 Stiffel ostrich egg lamps. One is missing the proper switch knob. Where might I find parts?

Denise Mcdonald
- Grand junction Colorado
^

Hi Denise. Please post a good photo of the knob you're trying to match.

^

Q. I have a Stiffel floor lamp bought in 1998. It beautiful but the stem of the lamp which turns the lamp on and off doesn't work anymore. Do you know to fix it?

Pat Leonard
- Peachtree City Georgia USA
^

Q. Trying to repair my swing arm Stiffel lamp by replacing the socket. I am ready to assemble but now that I acquired all the pieces I have forgotten how to reassemble it. Does anyone know where Part C goes? I thought it went between N and D but inside A. However the threads are not long enough. Part C has a spring inside. Attached is a picture.

stiffel lamp 33143-2c   stiffel lamp 33143-2b   stiffel lamp 33143-2a  

Neva Pavia
- Bellingham, Washington, USA
^

sidebar May 1, 2018

Q. My name is Byron Reynolds and I am looking to purchase this lamp =>
It is old from what I am told. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure of the manufacturer.

Byron Reynolds
- Redford, Michigan
^

A. Hi Byron. This site is primarily about metal finishing, so subjects like restoring the brass plating on Stiffel lamps come up, which attracts new questions, and threads sometimes gradually shift from our main focus. It's unlikely that any of our regular readers can offer history or preliminary appraisals (which I guess is the kind of "help" you are looking for). There are, however, sites which (for a fee) will try to tell you something about your antiques and offer an appraisal. Does it say "Stiffel" on it though?

^

Q. I have a 1999 Stiffel torchiere that needs repair. The lamp stem that attaches to the base is loose and therefore crooked. I had a handyman try to tighten it through the base bottom, but there is no screw visible. The lamp is quite heavy and very crooked. Can this be fixed?

Debra Gaveras
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
^

Q. I repair lamps from time to time. I have run into a Stiffel floor lamp. The customer had taken it apart. So I have no idea how it should go back together. Does anyone have a diagram or anything that will tell me how to reassemble the pole switch. Thank You.

Greg Scharf
Scooby's Repairs - Des Moines
^

----

Q. I bought an older Stiffel floor lamp with glass shelf. The solid pole above shelf is not straight. How can I straighten that part? Any instructions for taking apart and putting back together if that is required? Thanks.

Pat Horton
- Asheville, North Carolina, USA
^

thumbs up sign  Hi folks!

We're more than pleased to make this space available for anyone who is interested in discussing Stiffel lamps. But as editor of this metal finishing site I have no expertise in the subject of Stiffel lamps, nor am I much interested in this particular subject out of the 50,000 topics on this site. So enthusiasts must discuss the topic and help each other, not just post a question, or the thread just deteriorates into simply a long & boring list of unanswered questions. There are no consultants standing in the wings to help you -- you'll have to help each other :-)

^

Repair base of clawfoot lamp

stiffel lamp 33143-4

Q. I have a Stiffel lamp with a base resembling four claw feet. One of the feet has broken off. Can it be repaired? I've looked online for replacement parts, with no luck.

David Schmitz
Husband! - Rancho Cucamonga, California USA
^

J.B. Weld

A. Hi David. If you have the pieces it might be solderable depending on what material it is, but it almost surely can be glued with epoxy adhesive or possibly even with superglue.

I've personally been amazed by the strength of J B Weld epoxy =>

^

Q. I have two 3-ft lamps, I need to change the wiring and new 3 way socket. The shades set on top open on the top. How can I get to open.

Linda L Launder
- sun city, Arizona, USA
^

Q. I purchased two Stiffel lamps at a yard sale they are in good condition but a little tarnished, my question is if I polish them do they decrease or increase in value?

Orville BRANHAM
consumer - THE VILLAGES, Florida
^

----
Ed. note: Sorry folks, no valuation questions please! Wrong site!

Q. How do you get the bottom off a Stiffel lamp to replace the 3-way switch?

KENT SCHROEDER
RETIRED - KEARNEY, Nebraska
^

A. Hello,
I grew up with a Stiffel floor lamp with the patented pole switch, of course without realizing how unusual they were -- and how difficult it would become to get them repaired. The patent expired long ago, and unfortunately, no companies currently seem to use the switch technology, which I think is really sad because it is just cool (IMHO). The patent is US2459898, entitled "Means for Actuating Electrical Switches," and one should be able to find it easily using your favorite search engine. Just download the pdf, and the figures and description may be helpful for those seeking to put one back together or trying to make repairs. Now that I'm a patent attorney (not an offer of services), I wanted to share the patent information for those who may be seeking to repair the pole switch in a Stiffel floor lamp with that switch -- a really early 'remote control' even if not very remote.

A bit of history; as shown on the patent, the inventor, Theophile A Stiffel, was in Chicago in April of 1948 when the patent application for the pole switch was filed. The Stiffel company probably wouldn't have started selling lamps with this switch until 1947, and it could have been much later since the patent would not have expired until the 1960s. My grandfather actually spent some time in Chicago as a baker in the late 1800's, but he had moved to Washington State by the turn of the century and passed away during the 1960s, so I'm not sure whether he may have gotten the lamp from a friend or relative in Chicago or if they were sold throughout the US. After I inherited the lamp, I found it was no longer working, and went through the hassle of getting mine repaired. I was lucky to have an older-generation lighting-repair person in distant family who knew about the switches! Then, recently online I bought an alleged one that I wanted to give as a gift, but I now believe that was actually a Frankenstein lamp because even though there were Stiffel markings, the style of the lamp was much different, it seemed much more 'loose' and fragile, and the same family member could not repair the second one.

If anyone knows of a manufacturer that might interested in reviving use of this type of switch, I'd love to hear about them because I just love using a lamp with this type of switch, and they are getting harder and harder to find!

Bea Koempel-Thomas
- Spokane, Washington USA
^

33143-5ext

thumbs up sign  Hi Bea. Thanks so much for the interesting discussion. I now understand what people are talking about with "the pole is part of the switch" / "the switch is in the pole", etc. The patent makes it all very clear: you grab the pole and push it down with a "plunger move" to turn it on or off.

^

thumbs up sign Thank you for the information on the Stiffel lamp pole switches! I have a lamp that's had switch problems for quite some time and will plan on taking it apart for repair. Since the switch is just a push button 3-way switch (AntiqueLampParts has these in stock) it should just be a matter of making sure that the replacement switch will thread into the base properly. When I find the correct part for this I'll post it.

Andy Lehing
- Little Rock, Arkansas USA
^

Q. I have a Stiffel torchiere table lamp that will not turn on anymore. Where can I get a twist switch and how do I do the wiring since it probably needs replacing too?

stiffel lamp 33143-6a   stiffel lamp 33143-6b  

Kristine Durocher
- Thompson Connecticut usa
^

A. Hi Kristine. Although your graphics are a bit on the small side for me to see clearly, it looks like this is a switch with a special finish, not something you can pick up in the electrical aisle. But after unplugging the lamp, unscrew those two small screws so you can remove that brass cover plate and get a better look. You probably need to shop at a place like mylampparts.com, grandbrass.com, or maybe by searching for 'stiffel lamp parts' on Amazon.

You can re-wire the switch by putting the wires on exactly the same places on the new switch, or by replacing wires with ones of identical length, color, and gauge. For more general info on household wiring, big box stores all have small paperback books on the subject, although it is obviously best to simply have it done by a licensed electrician. Good luck!

^

Q. First, my thanks to, I believe, Ted Mooney for taking the time to handle this site.

Second, though a finishing site, I am at a loss of how to find a Stiffel lamp socket from the 60s or 70s. Three way - three brown wires soldiered in - no screws - Stiffel decal. So, again, thanks and I hope I am not too out of line asking about a socket. I have become rather frustrated.

Thanks, and I hope everyone is safe and well, Ken

Ken James
- University Place, Washington, US
^

A. Hi Ken. Thanks for the kind words! You're welcome to ask anything you wish! Still, the problem remains that this is NOT A CONSULTING SERVICE; I've never owned a Stiffel lamp, and have no interest in them :-)

Rather, I'm provide a public forum where enthusiasts are invited to gather & chat with each other, and post pics and Q&A's. But I can't build the community; enthusiasts either choose to do that among themselves or they don't. Most people are coming here not to interact with fellow Stiffel enthusiasts, but with the singular mission of posting their own question (and sometimes torpedoing our efforts towards camaraderie & aloha by posting with fictitious names), what can I do? We return now to our regularly scheduled program of unanswered questions ... :-)

^

Q. I own a Stiffel floor lamp that turns on by compressing the center pole of the lamp up and down. The Center large light has come very loose and I want to know how to tighten it. The collar at the top of the pole that the center light sits on has three screws on the underside. Do I just loosen those and then tighten the center light socket?

Dennis L Eckman
- Carlisle Pennsylvania
^

Q. Need a weight for Stiffel lamp base, 6.5", 3/8" hole

Any suggestions on salvaging

am smith
- Rockledge Florida
^

Q. I am trying to replace the socket on a 1960s Stiffel lamp. I cannot access the little screw that tightens the base of the socket to the main center rod of the lamp. I thought I could access it through the hole where the knob to switch the light on is but I cannot. I have no idea how they got this extra sleeve/cover on. It covers the socket and hides it. I've tried unscrewing everything and I cannot unscrew it.

stiffel lamp 33143-7b   stiffel lamp 33143-7a  

George Halley
- Westminster Colorado
^

Q. I have a Stiffel candelabra floor lamp that turns on / off by pulling on the center pole. The lamp no longer turns on. What is needed for repair? Does the pole connect to a pull chain? Is this a do-it-yourselfer?

Diane kuchera
- Phoenix Arizona
^

A. Hi Diane. Not a pull chain, but apparently a push rod :-)

For Stiffel lamps which you turn on and off by grabbing the pole and pushing down with a plunger motion, pay attention to the part of this thread where Bea Koempel-Thomas explains how the pole switch works and we include the patent drawings. Apparently there is a rather standard "push-on / push-off" switch at the base of the lamp, and a push rod and return springs to actuate it. Whether a do-it-yourselfer has enough knowledge and experience, I can't say; but if you show that drawing to an electrician he can probably fix it.

^

Stiffel pole lamp bottom switch

Q. Stiffel lamp bottom switch mechanism?

Aloha - we have a couple of Stiffel lamps which have the main switch operated by the vertical shaft down movement. One has been on our farm for many decades and the other from Island of Lana'i in Hawaii from my wife's god-parents.
Question - Stiffel #2264 - what is assembly sequence of the springs, caps and washers in lower column of lamp? Is there a schematic diagram somewhere online?
Mahalo nui loa

james truman
- waddell, arizona
^

A. Hi James. I don't know where to find actual assembly drawings, but drawings from the patent are on this thread and the actual lamps must be built rather similarly to the patent. Good luck.

^