Post your own question ...
or benefit from 30 years of feedback on 60,000 finishing topics.
Search the site

topic 32574 p.3

Misc. problems/defects in CED (cathodic electrodeposition) coating

< Prev. page          (You're on the last page of the thread)

Q. We are doing E-coating for last 6 months and since last one week we are facing problems in the quality. Some lines appear after baking, and orange peel problems. The product doesn't have smooth finish, please help.

Ramakrishnan Iyer
Ganpath Electroplaters (Bombay) - Ludhiana-punjab, Indian

----
Ed. note: Photos to finishingdotcom1995@gmail.com would probably help, Ramakrishnan.

Q. I'm using BASF ED paint. I'm facing a problem that high gloss level even I adjust the Pigment-Binder ratio.

ASHOKBABU A
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

Q. Hi, my name is Harikishan. How to increase meq and conductivity of CED paint?

Hari kishan
Unique coater - Faridabad, haryana india

Q. I want to know CED coating defects and its solution.

ABHISHEK SINGH
Satyam auto - Kannauj,up, India

A. Hi cousin Abhishek. If you can explain a specific defect, include photos, and give data about the prevailing situation that led to it, I'm sure the readers will be happy to try to help!

Otherwise you can study this posting and its photos and dialogs, the other thread it steers you to (thread 57561, "Pin holes in CED e-coating"), find many other threads on the subject by searching the site for "CED defects", and review the two books which we have mentioned on the subject, and search for your topic on surfacequery.com and scholar.google.com. It's unlikely that anyone is going to write a general tome covering the whole subject of possible CED defects and make it available to us all for free. Good luck, and get back to us with the actual situation you are confronting. Thanks.

CED coating adheres to sheet metal but not if zinc coated

My question is on Zinc coated parts coated in CED. When we CED coat on sheet metal after maintain all process parameter then the coated parts pass SST (960 Hrs.) and Adhesion test pass; but on Zinc coated parts coated in CED then the parts do not pass the Adhesion test or SST.

Alok

Alok Ranjan Pal
- Ghaziabad, Uttar pradesh, India

? Hi Alok. When you say "zinc coated" do you mean hot dip galvanized? Is the metal properly zinc phosphatized after the galvanizing?

Q. Hello sir,
We are struggling the problems on Pretreatment and Electrode deposition process. After completing this process we are facing so many problems like lints, air packs, E.D. drifts, flow marks, ash marks, etc. So anyone can please give me any solution for this problem. And give some parameters on E.D. paint.

Manikumar Surisetty
Paint shop - Andhra pradesh, India

Q. Dear sir, after giving the coating in our bath, the coating is coming on half the tank. Conductivity of our anolyte is 1.500 and ED tank temperature .38

Himanshu Srivastav
- Fridabad harayanan india

A. Hi Fridabad. More words and details please! I'm not even sure if you are saying that the vat which is holding your bath contents is getting paint deposited onto half of it or whether the product you are coating is some kind of motorcycle fuel tank or similar and is being left half bare. Thanks.

CED e-coating bubbles/holes? Defect problem on chrome plated surface

Q. Hello Dear,

I'm custom finish coater.
I'm also trying to do some cathodic electrophoresis process (applied over nickel and chrome plated small objects like door handles, etc.).

I'm facing problem as in images, during epd coating (in epd tank) I get finish that has many Little little bubbles like inside it. Those micro bubbles are like in surface.

My process:
Degrease alkali
DI Rinse 2x
Acid pickle
DI Rinse 2x
Epd tank
DI Rinse 2x
Cure

I believe my substrate is okay because nothing happens in powder coating process so I believe nothing should happen in e-coat either.

Rafal Kolbu
- Brwinow, poland

A. Hi Rafal. We did not get any images/photos; please e-mail them to mooney@finishing.com.

D. Sharma suggests above that a line stoppage is a common cause of this problem. Can you tell us whether the defect happens all the time or only some of the time? Chrome plating is not meant to be e-coated to my knowledge. Are you sure that you have good, functional, adhesion on the chrome?

That happens all time

I got detail movement in-tank. Chrome look Good, also I tried stress relief before e-coat too and that did not work.

Have no idea what is that, because it looks like something tiny air inside or maybe it's something else.

I tried different temp, voltage snd time setting.

I tried also powder coating same detail - for that everything is okay. Only e-coat goes bad.

On raw aluminium plate I also get that strange effect.
In touch that surface is smooth but has that small dot everywhere appearance

I wonder what steps should I take to find out problem?

I'm sending defects photos to my post.

32574-5a   32574-5c   32574-5b  

Thank You

Best Regards,
Rafal

Rafal Kolbu [returning]
- Brwinow, poland

? Does this happen when you paint un-plated steel? I have seen where certain plated parts will outgas when e-coated.

Dan Mack
- Horicon, Wisconsin

Q. It happens on raw steel too.

Rafal kolbu [returning]
- Brwinow poland

Q. We are having Patches in CED Coating. Please suggest some remedy.

32574-6

Upinder Singh
- Ludhiana Punjab

thumbs up sign Hi Upinder. Thanks for the photo, but even with it I still doubt that anyone will be able to help you with no data supplied yet ... but we'll see.

A. Dear Upinder Singh,
It seems that your parts are "RUSTY" before coating & you have to clean the rust.

Avinash Vidhate
- Nashik, Mahatashtra, INDIA

Ed. note:
No
abstract questions
Please!!

Q. We are experiencing difficulties in CED coating of inside of square steel tubing. Is this common problem with CED and what is causing it?

Bogdan K.
- WINNIPEG, Manitoba, Canada

A. Hi Bogdan. It could be as simple as air in the tubing, or no solution transfer meaning that what is in the tube gets exhausted, or they could just be too long. I think we'll need some dimensions, data, explanation of what you mean by 'difficulties', etc. Thanks.

CED part Quality Defect

Q. After CED Coating, have kept at oven around 175 degrees, when comes to Quality check we have found some paint dents, craters.

Its a Zinc plated part but no Passivation. Running the plan with the NVM of 14%, conductivity of 985.

CED coating has fisheyes 32574-7c CED coating has fisheyes 32574-7a CED coating has dents 32574-7b

Kindly suggest what's best to be done over the issue.

Sundaravanan Meganathan
- Chennai TAMIL NADU, India

A. Dear Sundaravanan Meganathan,
This seems to be FISH EYE problem. Go through fish eye problem on internet and you will find the answer.

Avinash Vidhate
- Nashik Maharashtra India

adv.    coatec india youtube