The Look of Aged (antique) Nickel Plating

(-----) 2004

MY SITUATION:

I am restoring 9 small antique items (100+ years old) made of steel. The original nickel finish is completely gone and I would like to bring them back to the original condition with an aged look if possible.

QUESTIONS:

Assuming they can be properly prepared and replated, is it possible to produce an "aged" look to the new nickel plating? Can nickel plating be done with various degrees of luster (bright vs. medium)?

KNOWLEDGE:

I can't offer any knowledge on this subject (hence my inquiry). The aged look typically has a yellowish tint to the nickel.

My speculation is that the yellowing is a combination of 1) years of oxidation, copper content/base plate, and 3) impurities and/or trace elements in the nickel solution during the plating process.

If so, my best option is to find a shop that can replate similar to days of old and let time do the rest. Not sure what options are available.

Thanks in Advance.

BJ Borel
Hobbyist - Austin, Texas
^

2004

Sorry, I don't find another place to post this question?:

I'm a Knifemaker and hobby gun restorer. Most guns I like to restore are from 1850 to 1890, such as Colt, Remington or Merwin Hulbert and so on. For a month I've been looking for a recipe or a method to make a new nickel finish looking old(er). The nickel is looking too bright and shiny. In the old days the finish had a "frosted" or "dull" and more "yellowish" touch.

In Germany there is no firm (I can find) who is able to do the nickel-plating like they have done in the past. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you, with best regards

Wolfgang Dell
Knifemaker - Badenwuerttemberg, Germany
^

2004

Hi, folks. Letter 28011 is on a very similar theme and you may find it helpful. Good luck.

^