(one of the world's very few 'no registration' sites)

-----

"Marking system for rings"

< Prev. page          (You're on the last page of this topic)

Q. I have a diamond ring it has .925 on the inside with another symbol beside it. It's a square with lines in it? I'm really confused.

amanda skinner
- lewistown Pennsylvania
^

A. Hi Amanda. Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver, i.e., .925. So sterling silver is often engraved with ".925" rather than the word "Sterling".

As I and others have said many times on this thread, it's probably hopeless to expect anyone to know what "a square with lines in it" means because there are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of such maker's marks. Still a jeweler can probably tell you basically what you've got in a flash.

^

29370-15

Q. I have a ring with blue stone in middle and around edges with yellowish stones around in between inside it has 18KT HGE with a left aiming arrow with two T's in it and a round makers stamp (that's hard to make out details on it). PLEASE HELP ASAP.

Mary S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
I'm collecting - Ironton, Missouri, U. S.
^

A. Hi Mary. A jeweler can probably tell you what the stones are or if they're glass, and would have told you the ring is electroplated. Even a highly experienced jeweler might not be able to tell you what "a left aiming arrow with two T's in it" means because there are tens of thousands of maker's marks (google says if it's actually a "U" rather than two tees, it's the fairly common Uncas brand though). The primary value for your granddaughter is that she'll be the 4th generation to have it. These vintage cocktail rings have little monetary value, but they're cool to keep in the family.

^

"World Hallmarks Vol. 1"
by Whetstone, Niklewicz, & Matula

(affil. link)

"World Hallmarks Vol. 2"
by Whetstone, Niklewicz, & Matula

(affil. link)

"Jackson's Hallmarks"
English, Scottish, Irish
Silver & Gold Marks
by Ian Pickford

(affil. link)

***I WANT TO HELP HIM AND ANYONE ELSE WHO LANDS HERE VIA GOOGLE SEARCH***

The site owner is offering his time and knowledge on simple subjects that can be googled, that's how most of us ended up here, myself included.

I was trying to figure out the history of the THAILAND marks in rings and their metal purity. (Still clueless but I'm about to help a lot of you for him).

After reading through the entire thread I wanted to bang my head into a wall for the poor fella surely having "Groundhogs Day" (movie) every time there is a new post.

OK HERE WE GO I JUST SPENT HOURS COLLECTING THIS PLEASE USE IT!

First I want to address the Answer given by Adela Garcia - St.Louis regarding the gold & silver markings:

***DO NOT TRASH YOUR RINGS WITH A "P" FOLLOWING 14K,18K,22K(insert numberK)***

- 14KP stands for "karat plumb" gold---meaning exactly 14K....no more, no less. KP does NOT, I repeat does NOT mean plated or fake.
- Gold stamped with the KP is guaranteed to have a gold purity not less than indicated but could possibly be slightly more pure. So, for example, a bracelet stamped 14KP is guaranteed to contain 58.33% gold or more. Another bracelet stamped 585KP is guaranteed to contain 58.5% pure gold or more. The KP stamp is designed to eliminate the non standard caratage tolerances that some markets allow for. In the USA, for example, gold can be sold at up to 0.5 carat more than it's actual gold content. So, a ring marked 14K can contain just 13.5 carats of gold.
- Things to consider about lack of markings: the piece may have been repaired/resized/worn enough to rub away the hallmark in the case of it being worn down you should be able to see an obvious taper from the sides of the band to the bottom which will be thinner that the rest.

- ALL SILVER RINGS ARE NOT MARKED 925!!! Especially with Native American jewelry! It is a dead give away to all Native American jewelry collectors that 925 usually means it is from Mexico, the natives used "Sterling" and early pieces are not marked at all.
- I own a warriors cuff from 1910 with no purity mark or maker mark... why? Native jewelry was traditionally made for the tribe only and the symbols were meant to protect the person wearing it. Later when the railroad was built they started making items for the white people, this helped them and didn't discredit their true pieces bc the pieces sold in railroad shops were mass produced.
- Two other marks on Native Jewelry are "German Silver" this is not silver it is actually several metals mixed together and then plated and "COIN SILVER" coin silver is circa 1900 and it 90% silver.
- "SS" can be confusing Bc also used for stainless steel. (Sterling)
- "STG" (Sterling)
- "Stg. Sil." (Sterling)
- Other silver marks: keep in mind as previously mentioned these are XXX/1000 : 925/1000 = 92.5% pure... here we go:
- 800
- 830
- 835
- 900
- 950
- 999
- 999.9

The United States does not use hallmarks. However, many countries with far greater histories of silver-smithing employ or did employ at one time, a complex hallmarking system. There are a number of excellent guides available on the internet that can assist you in identifying a particular hallmark. Go here: 925-1000.com.

Ok this is wearing me out but I'm pushing on. I think I will leave this as a silver post and do a gold later.

Silver Plated jewelry often does not have any mark on it anywhere that would indicate it was silver plated. Occasionally you will, however, see the following marks:
"SP" - meaning Silver Plate
"Plate" - more common on flatware and table pieces
"EP" - meaning electroplated
"Quadruple Plate" - allegedly meaning the piece went through electrolysis four times
"EPNS" - meaning electroplated nickel silver
"S80" - this is a mark that appears on a lot of Chinese silver colored jewelry that is often also marked 925. This is not silver jewelry. It is merely plated with "925" Sterling Silver. 'S80 Silver' is apparently a plating compound in many emerging market countries.

Oh my goodness I'm wiped out....

This is where I copied most of the info from (minus the native). There are more examples and Honestly.... I'm too tired to detail it out.

I hope I have helped at least one of you.

Go here: http://blog.hunterridgejewelry.com/2014/06/27/the-difference-between-silver-sterling-silver-900-silver-800-silver-alpaca-nickel-silver-and-silver-plated-jewelry/

Katie Taylor
- OKC, Oklahoma USA
^

thumbs up sign Thanks very much, Katie. I run a website with 50,000 threads about metal finishing but sometimes, as in this case, a thread gets both off-topic and quite busy.

The one thing in your posting which I think may be not quite accurate is "Quadruple Plate". While I originally believed that it meant the same thing as you did, here is a posting by a knowledgeable reader, copied from letter 44569 which claims it refers to silver plating presumably 4 times thicker/heavier than some minimum --

A. Quadruple plate contained 8 tr.oz. of silver plate per gross (144 pieces) of teaspoons. The plating was about 1.2 mils thick (.0012"). In 1975, quadruple plate was still being produced, mainly for places like hotel restaurants.

Chris Owen
- Nevada, Missouri, USA
^

^

29370-16

Hello- I came across this information/resource on e-bay, originally shared by aumiagoldandsilverjewelry. I hope the information contained here helps to answer some of your questions. =>

Elizabeth Mongillo
- Berlin, Connecticut
^

Q. I have a gold ring with initials and A 15 at the bottom inside the ring has inside is stamped with M.JAK do you know what this means?

Connie Curtis
- Valley Springs California usa
^

Q. Does anyone know who the maker of this mark is? A/M

sandra salvador
- Gadsden, Alabama USA
^

29370-17

Q. I have this lovely ladies ring - with black elongated stone and it is marked inside S.U.K. no other markings on it at all - it seems to be silver maybe Mexican or ??? it has a lovely design on the outer part and a super nice setting.
Just looked closer and there is a small stamp but blacked over hard to read near the S.U.K. marking it looks like a number possibly 925?

Frank Deturse
- Toronto ontario Canada
^

Q. Hello, I have a ring that is marked on the inside as follows; C (circled as if the copyright c) then separately another c that is circled but larger than the 1st, like an initial then a w also circled as if an initial and then 900 pt. The ring is is wide band, the body of which is open cut work 5 petal flowers with stones (diamonds) it was left to me by me aunt, what do I have? Any idea? comments, thoughts are most appreciated. Maria

Maria Goncalves
- Somerset County, New Jersey U.S.A.
^

A. Frank: your ring is probably sterling silver.
A. Maria: your ring is probably platinum.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating
Albuquerque, New Mexico

red sky banner ad
^

H
e
r
e
'
s

1
8

m
o
r
e

Q
u
e
s
t
i
o
n
s

J
u
s
t

a

s
m
a
l
l

s
a
m
p
l
e

f
r
o
m

t
h
e

l
a
s
t

3
0

d
a
y
s

Q. I have a gold ring with inside markings that I can't make out other then a circle with a capital A inside the circle.
Can anyone help me with this ring.

Kathi Spears
- Pocahontas, Arkansas, USA
^

"Hallmarks and Date Letters on Silver, Gold and Platinum"
by Eric Bruton

(affil. link)

"Hallmarks of the Southwest"
by Barton Wright

(affil. link)

Q. I have a ring that I purchased in an auction. It's stamped with "14k rt". What does the rt stand for?

Jackie Colonna
- Carlsbad, California USA
^

What does the TM refer to? its engraved just before the 925

thx

Sameer Agherdien
aquarist - Port Elizabeth, south Africa
^

Q. What does CR1K© mean on the inside of my 10k gold ring? It has several small diamond and a moderate size ruby.

Andi Breedlove
- Hazlehurst, Georgia USA
^

Q. My ring has 925 on the inside however, I can't tell what the symbol is behind it. Can you please help me?

29370-18a   29370-18b  

Stefanie Turner
- Rome, Georgia United States
^

Q. I have a silver ring that is stamp 18K GE A with circle around it what does it mean?

Misty Sleep
- Topeka, Kansas,usa
^

Q. I have a white gold ring that has no gems just a band, but it also says 155 on it. Can you please tell me what that means?

skye singleton
- Sedro Woolley, Washington, USA
^

Q. Hi I have a gold ring that says ADI 995 china CZ on it. What does this mean?

Tyler Reaves
- Tucson, Arizona USA
^

Q. I just bought a ring from the $2 box at local 2nd hand store. I don't normally but it caught my eye on my way to a warm coat and so pretty and shiny. Anyway when I got home I noticed that there is a mark on outside of the band it is a bit warn but I think it's a 91, 61, or even a gl but the last mark looks like it could be a 5,2,s. Oh I don't know,I think I am more curious as to why a mark would be on the outside.. I am sorry to bother you over probably nothing, but if you have any ideas I would love to hear them. Thank you

Debby Healey
Care for elderly with Alzhiemers - Chesterland, Ohio, U.S.A.
^

Q. I have bought a white gold diamond ring, markings
Are 375 on one side then 10k on the other, there is no diamond stamp , there is a 417TGGC stamped on it.
Have no idea of the meanings

Juliana chappell
- Hilperton wiltshire England
^

Q. I have set of earrings that are stamped 925 along with the letters sold. we all know what 925 stands for, but what about the SLD?

James Coffman
- Topeka, Kansas,united states
^

29370-20

Q. I have a silver ring & it looks like rope & it is "twisted" in 3 different ways. Can anyone please tell me what it stands for? I have a photo. =>

Thank you!

Linda Joyce Caughron
Personal - Bartlett, Tennessee - USA
^

Q. I have a ring that is an antique and it has a stamp on it that I am unable to find online what it means. Maybe someone can help me out and better explain the meaning. Possibly maybe the maker stamp? It has a 14k stamp on it as well. Please help. Thank you!
SN RLL

Nicole quintero
- Torrance california
^

29370-19

Q. Hello! I have a hallmark stamp on my engagement ring that looks like a beaver tail with 14k and D050 on the other side =>

Christy Parks
- Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, USA
^

Q. Hi, I have a set of engagement ring and band no Stamped it's a yellow ring but I'm confused of checking what metal it is? It was acid tested from 10k,14k,18k and no reaction then I used acid for 22k and it was fade after few seconds. I want to make sure what it is so I pour the whole 14k acid in a plastic cup and left the ring inside whole night and it turned in to a light yellow color in the morning (no green) what metal is this?and additional when I rubbed into a stone it's a white color metal
one day I cleaned it with a metal cleaning solution and it turned back to a deep shiny yellow color
Can you pls tell me if this metal is gold or not? Thank you

Adore Meyers
- Maryland
^

Q. White 14k ring with diamonds. Band inside says EDS-7 and 1 with a . then a line under it, followed by 30. What does it mean??

Joan Dawson
- Pittsburgh pa USA
^

Q. hi?. so I have this ring with little diamonds around a big one on the center and is marked 585 and 14k on the inside.. is it really a white gold or a fake one?

just katez
- NCR,Region 3,Philippines
^

Q. I have a 10k ring with the letters AU what does that mean I can't find any info anywhere??

Paula Chambers
BUYER - Mt. Grove Missouri USA
^

29370-22

Q. I have silver earrings with AU and a c circled backwards. Does anyone know what it means or a book or site that reference these?

nissa_rader
Nissa Rader
- Parkersburg, West Virginia USA
^

Copyleft

A. Hi Nissa. The "copyleft" symbol is interesting. On the one hand Wikipedia says it has no legal meaning; but on the other hand it says it means you are free to copy the design in your own works, but if you do, you can't copyright them.

As for books or sites with hallmarks, many suggestions have already been offered on this thread; repeating stuff on a thread that's already too-long thread would hinder people more than help them. Please review their suggestions and share your thoughts. And share the Jameson please. Thanks.

^

Comment:

Thank you to all whom have had answered some of these questions. I have read quite a few. And it baffles me to see how many people ask the same questions over and over; not only do a lot of initials and letters mean makers marks but they could also mean somebody's initials that it was bought for :-)

Tim Clark
- Lawrenceville Georgia USA
^

14K A & P

Q. My grandmother had a ruby and diamond bracelet. It had matching earrings & a ring. The bracelet is stamped 14K and I believe A & P. What designer or design company is this?

29370-23b

29370-23a

Rebecca Gruberger
- New York
^

adv.:    Discover the choice made by manufacturers
nationwide for high quality jewelry plating & finishing

red sky plating banner