topic 29370, page 2

Marking system for rings

page     1     2     3

Could you please give me some insight as to what "18.PLO" inside a white metal ring could be.

Thanks, Karin

Karin Jackson
- Uralla, NSW Australia

Q. Hi. I bought a gold 14k ring for my wife with 3 sapphires and 2 diamond stones. Inside there is an engraved marking -- it looks like HI namdar or HI namdax? too small I don't know what does it mean. I hope you can help me. Thank you and regards.

Tyler Thomas
- British Virgin Islands

Q. My sons found a ring digging outside. It was covered in mud, but cleaned up nicely. Its garnet surrounded by ten diamond stones. Is marked ga in the golden band. All I can find online is ga is a possible m makers mark. Could this be of any value. The gold tone seems flawless for the condition it was found.

Joy Frantz
- Washington, Pennsylvania, USA

A. Hi Joy. All we can do is guess whether the garnet, the diamonds, and the gold are real whereas any jeweler will probably tell you in seconds. My guess is that it is costume jewelry and the ga means garnet.

I have an old ring that looks like silver. It is marked with A.19 and 900. Do you know what these could mean? Thank you.

Susan Calloway
- Marysville, Washington, USA

Warman's Jewelry: Identification and Price Guide

Q. I have an old wrist watch with a sign of 10\000 what does it means. other said its gold plated? is it true? just want to now the markings of it?

Gionesce Adlawon
- Philippines

Q. I have a claddagh ring that has printed on the inside made in Ireland, but also has two markers I have no idea what they mean. One of them are the letters O C in a bolder type font, the others are in small boxes and appear to be the letters H.G.R. what does this mean??

Britanny Bowers
- Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA

Q. I have a gold ring marked with "14K R" and I don't know what the "R" stands for, any help?

Alec Cobb
- Carleton Michigan, USA

Q. I have a ring that has 925 on the inside as well as the c copyright mark along with the word "thailand" on the inside of the band. The ring has 6 large stones that appear to be sapphires along with small black stones in the middle. The ring appears to be old but is very beautiful.

29370-1 29370-2

I would like to know what the inside markings mean and if this ring could possibly be Thailand Sapphires? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wanda Page
- Amite, Louisiana USA

Q. I have a ring that is the color of either silver or white gold. It has a 14K symbol on one side of the inside of the band and then it has Q.Q on the other side. The stones are clear, and look like they could be real. What does the Q.Q mean? Does this sound like a real ring?

Abbie Watkins
- Fort white, Florida, USA

A. Hi Abbie. Assuming the 14k mark isn't counterfeit, and it's probably not unless it has a shady history, yes, it's real 14k gold.

Stones that aren't huge and aren't diamonds aren't, to my knowledge, worth a bunch though.

Q. I have a silver color ring that I purchase from a yard sale. The inside mark is a heart with a B inside. Could you tell me what this marking means?

Genevieve Yhap-Zebro
Hobbyist - Hillsborough, New Jersey, USA

AP14K

Q. My grandma was going through her rings and in the band of one it reads "AP14k" what does this mean? I know 14 k gold but I don't know what the "AP" means. Thank you!

Holly Stoll
- Milford, Pennsylvania

Q. Hi there, I have a gold ring with the markings B1701 on the inside and it also has these scratches. Three slanted lines one way and three slanted going the other way. both markings are on the inside. I can't find what they mean?

thanks sara

Sara Blum
- Canada

A. Hi Sara. When you say gold, I guess you mean "gold color" or "gold tone"? If it doesn't have a karat mark it's probably not gold. If it doesn't have a "sterling" or ".925" mark it's probably not silver. If you send a photo of the markings it's vaguely possible that a reader may be able to identify the maker, but it's probably just one among hundreds of thousands of styles of costume jewelry. Look up the trademarks for Silpada and see if their 3-prong arrowhead is the scratches you are describing. Good luck.

Q. I have a ring that is stamped "ATI THAI" inside. Can you tell me what that means? Thanks so much.

Stephanie Ellenberg
- Cleves, Ohio

Q. I was given a ring for Christmas and noticed inside the ring there is a "14K" imprinted and the letter "p", the star symbol and the letter "m". I was wondering what they both mean.

Kim Ingram
- Canal Winchester, Ohio, USA

thumbs up sign Folks! 14K means 14/24's gold. If you include a good photo of the hallmark there is maybe a very slim chance of a reader pointing you in the right direction towards what the hallmark means. But there are hundreds of thousands of hallmarks if not millions, and a verbal description of a hallmark is a waste of bandwidth; millions of readers have seen these pages over the last 18 years, and in all that time not a single reader has ever hazarded a guess from a verbal description of a hallmark :-(

Q. I am thinking of purchasing a ring that has this stamp inside. I tried to send a photo but I do not have outmail capabilities ;(.
But it says 925 P "star" M. I am told that it is silver plated. My question over what?

Cindy Skiba
- Mpls, Minnesota, USA

A. Hi Cindy. If it's marked "925" that indicates it is 92.5 percent pure silver, i.e., "sterling silver". It is possible that it is solid sterling silver and still has silver plating on it, because the silver plating could be 100% pure silver to deter tarnish, or the plating could be rhodium for the same reason.

It would certainly be misleading and absolutely illegal to stamp it 925 if it is not solid 92.5% pure silver.

Q. My wife bought a ring with the letters "9 ct oc" could you please tell me what this means, as she paid 180 euro for it but got a value on it from another jeweler who said it was worth only 60 euro. It's a white gold ring; the second jeweler said it was a second-hand ring sprayed with rhodium. Thanking you for your time. John

john noctor
- dublin ireland

A. Hi John. The symbol for purity of gold is Karat, Kt, or K.
Carat or "ct" refers to the size of a stone. So why a ring would be marked "9 ct" is a mystery, but indicates that it might be a fictitious marking. The second jeweler didn't comment on that!? The "oc" is probably the designer, and there are a million.

If it is 9 Kt gold, it's 9/24 pure, 37.5%. So multiply its weight by .375 by the current price of gold and you'll have the intrinsic value.

Most white gold is rhodium plated, so that's no surprise. Nor am I shocked that one jeweler would only be willing to give you a third of what another jeweler sold it for. They are both in business, both negotiating against you on price, and who knows how long the first jeweler had to keep it in the showcase and pay the heating, lighting and rent before it was sold, or how long the second jeweler will have to. Say it's "objective value" is 100 Euro, and you paid 180 -- yes, that's a markup, but I don't think it's outrageous at all. Good luck.

Q. Hi Ted, thank you for your prompt reply. Just to say there are stones on top of the ring he said cubic. The second jeweller said it was an old ring but it was sold to my wife as a new one. There are no other marks stamped symbols on it, just the letters I told you about. Should there be? Thanks again, John

John Noctor
- Dublin, Ireland

Q. I have this old Italian style men's 10K white gold diamond ring, inside is engraved with the following "10K" which is obviously 10 carat, beside that is "8.5" in which I assume to be the size of the ring, however what I'm puzzled about is the engraved symbol beside that in which appears to be of a diamond-like shaped heart form with an horizontal oval-like spin through the middle of the symbol ... any thoughts? Thanks so much! :)

10k while gold diamond ring 1  10k white gold diamond ring 2

Inez Goulet
- Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA

Q. I found a ring in my old bag of jewellery it looks real but I don't remember buying it. It has a stone in it and looks like it says YAP or YAR. Then on the other side it looks like a M or a W. What do these marking mean if anything?

Becky Atkinson
- United Kingdom

Q. Hello! I bought a gold band ring today that has the lettering 375 VLDS V1C7X on it. (Or it may be a K at the end, I'm not sure). I was just wondering what it means?

I have photos of the engravings, but I'm not sure how to upload it.

Natalie Codrington
- Morisset, Australia

----
Ed. note: You can attach the photos in e-mail to , but unfortunately it will still be unlikely that anyone will recognize it. Good luck.

Q. Actually I'm asking a question. Just purchased a ring, white gold with a gold box shape in middle of mount, diamonds in middle and around box stamped with BHK14k. What does this mean. And thank you! Robin.

fawn temple
- cambridge, ontario canada

A. Hi Fawn. 14K doubtless means 14 karat gold. We'd like to help with the rest but it's probably a maker's mark and hopeless (we've posted hundreds of such requests but there are an almost infinite number of makers, and most people naturally come to this public forum page to find out about their own not help others find out about theirs). Good luck.

Q. I have a band that is marked J14KS and was wondering if that means 14 karat gold over silver. Thanks for your help.

Eric Brothers
- Mooers Forks, New York

Meaning of Marking "JC"?

Q. I had a ring handed down to me. It is oval shaped opal (I think opal anyway) with a band running across the top of the opal and holding a diamond. It also has 2 rows of diamonds on each side of the opal. I can't tell if the diamonds are some kind of black diamonds or extremely dirty (haven't had a chance to clean it yet). The marks are 925 (I know that means sterling) and "JC". I have looked everywhere and can't find anything with JC marks except one site that showed a bracelet with JC mark and it said "unknown victorian era maker" Does anyone have an idea what JC means?

Stephanie Thompson
- Gosnell, Arkansas, Mississippi

Q. I have a necklace charm my sister gave me and on the back is marked J C. Anyone know what it means? Thank you.

Victoria Rojo
- Escondido, California, USA

Q. I have a wedding set that only has JC stamped inside. The rings are very big and has one large diamond (if real) and one small on each side. How can I tell if this is real, and what does JC mean?

Amanda Harper
- Atlanta, Georgia USA

A. Hi Amanda. Any jeweler anywhere can tell you in 30 seconds flat if the diamonds are real or they wouldn't be able to last a day in business :-)

As for what "JC" means, it could be an "unknown victorian era maker" as Stephanie T says, but it could also be the initials of anyone in the world with those initials :-(

Q. I have this ring with 925 p"star"m on the inside. Any ideas?

T. Fowler
- Abilene, Texas, USA

Q. I have a mens ring, not sure of the size, but it has 10KP-LDI marked on the inside. I know what the 10KP stands for, but does anyone know what the LDI is?

Heather Roysdon
- Loveland, Ohio, USA

Q. Hello, I have a ring that belonged either to my grandma or great grandma. Not sure if its real, or costume jewelry. Its silver in color with a design engraved on it. 7 Diamonds are on it, I think it's a wedding ring. It is stamped with "RKT PAT 1925"

I know PAT likely means patent? But I looked around and couldn't find RKT or 1925 anywhere

Cassandra Mattice
- Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Q. I have a ring; on inside of band it has the letter P, on the other side 925. Is P plumb for gold or the 925 silver?
It's not magnetic; it marks my skin when I wear makeup.
It doesn't turn in vinegar; I've looked on line I've seen plumb gold 925.
And silver -- any ideas?

Vickie Sarver
- Bluefield, Virginia, USA

Q. I have a diamond ring with hallmarks 'plat' which is platinum and '18k' which is 18k gold and a '1o' which I have no clue what this means? Maybe 1 carat diamond? Can someone help me with this? The ring is believed to be Canadian. Thank you.

Kerry Obrien
- Poole Dorset, England

Q. Hi, I have a gold ring with a sapphire and a diamond(?) either side, the only mark inside the band is 436. What can you tell me?

Jayjay Poppet
- New Zealand

Q. I have a 14k white gold ring with the engravings on one side .08B and on the other side c with a circle around, 14K- a sideways diamond and a J with ... it looks like a square with an X in it. Anyone know?

Megan Harris
- Agassiz, BC, Canada

A. Hi Megan. Well, a "c" with a circle in it sounds like the ubiquitous "Copyright" symbol, but without a photo, it's hard to say. 14K is obviously 14 karat.

Although there have been no answers to the last 10 questions, if you send photos there will at least a chance. Good luck.

Q. Hi! I ran across a ring I bought 20+ years ago at an estate sale. It is a hexagon shaped diamond engagement style ring. The inside of the band is stamped "10kt-P" on one side and "EW 3" on the other side. Can you tell me what these mean? If I saw correctly, in the earlier thread, you indicated the "P" means plumb, but what about the rest? Thanks so much!

Cory Robertson
- Ft Hood Texas, USA

Q. Real or Not? I have a ring my father gave me. It looks antique; the markings on the ring are the word Cosmic in cursive and 14K PAT-N

gold ring-5 gold ring-6 gold ring-7 gold ring-8

Christy Scadlock
- Carencro, Louisiana, USA

A. Hi Christy. I am not a jeweller, have no training at all in it, and I'm only looking at pictures ... but my guess is that it's real but not especially valuable.

My reason for believing it's real, besides the general look of it, is a question about a white gold ring, marked "Cosmic" in cursive, at
en.allexperts.com/q/Jewelry-Gems-Minerals-689/2009/4/Ring-word-Cosmic-inside.htm

My reason for believing it's not particularly valuable, besides the general look of it, is rather similar looking items for sale on Ebay.

I have a ring thats marked 375 on one side and on the other it has the letter p then a star/asterisk, both of which are in a circle -- can you tell me what it means please?

Sian Bullock
- Perth, western Australia

Gold & Platinum Jewelry Buying Guide

Q. I have a ring that is stamped "18k ihgecc".

Chuck Andersen
- Amarillo, Texas, USA

Q. My ring is stamped with ○▲ what does this mean?

Ky Marie
- Reno, Nevada, USA

Q. I recently received a ring set from my mother that was bought by my father from an estate sale back in the 1980's. They both appear to be white gold, one with 5 small diamonds to serve as the wedding band, and the other has one larger diamond in the middle with two small diamonds on each side to serve as the engagement ring. On the inside, both say DUVAL on one side and 14KPAT FL-E on the other. I have tried researching Duval but haven't come up with anything. I would like to know if Duval is the company that made the rings? What does the coding "14KPAT FL-E" on the other side of the rings mean? And also, can the code indicate the rings' age?

Cailey Horn
Hobbyist - Clayton, Georgia, United States

A. Hi Cailey. 14K means 14 karat. PAT probably means a design patent -- just basically that you can't copy the look of the ring.

"Duval" and "FL-E" are probably as good as meaningless because there are thousands upon thousands of jewelry makers and combinations of letters applied like this and, as your researches showed, Google will get you nowhere. You need to take it to a jeweler to verify that it's 14K gold, and to have the diamonds evaluated.

Q. My ring says KStm with 925 on the inside. It has a ruby and diamond hearts and a bunch of little diamonds around it. i did the diamond test and it passed, but what does the KStm mean?

Gwen Kelley
- schertz, texas usa

Platinum Ring over 100 years old with 2/3 caret Emerald and Diamond Chips on side

American Jewelry Manufacturers

Q. Hi. My name is Helene. I was recently given one of my Grandmother's rings. It has to be over 100 years old and on the inside it's stamped platinum and then there are 3 Capital K's engraved on the inside and then it seems that it was re-engraved later with a 7 over the first K, 6 over the second and 3 over the last K. It also has the numbers 216 or 276 engraved on the inside, but across from the engraving letters/numbers. It has a fairly high setting with a rather beautiful 4 prong which splits into 3 each, making the top of the emerald look like it's being held by 12 prongs. I have taken it to several very good Jewelers in my area and none of them could tell me what any of it meant. They all said they had never seen something like that before. Two of them did offer to buy it, but I'm not selling, just extremely curious now to find out what the engravings mean. It's become a quest to me. Is there anyone that could help me and solve my mystery? It really is starting to drive me a bit insane. Thank you to all who have taken the time to read this and hopefully have an answer for me.
Sincerely,
Helene.

Helene Bruen
- Harriman, New York - USA

What does 21cp mean?

Q. I have a gold pendant that's really unusual looking has the mark 21cp. I took it to a jeweler to have it checked out and it is indeed 21k but why is it stamped 21cp?

K Ferrara
- newnan, Georgia USA

Hi K. I know that "kp" means "karat plumb" and this might possibly be a variation on that. When jewelry is made, it may require solder or this and that which adds slightly to the weight. So if it started out 21 karat, it really isn't quite 21 karat anymore when you add the weight of the solder. As long as this additional weight is small, the jeweler is allowed to round up and still call it 21 kt. The "plumb" means it's still a full 21 karats even if you include the solder, etc., i.e., if you weigh it, at least 21/24ths of the total weight is pure gold.

Q. I have a 1.25 14kp with a diamond shape with the letters TB inside it, what does TB mean? Also if it has one small, not visible to eye carbon spec what would the clarity on it be. I know this is difficult without seeing it but just a guess. Doesn't have a lot of colors under fluorescent lights either.

Danita Dover
- little rock Arkansas US

Q. Hey, I found this ring cleaning out a foreclosed home it has 14 k pc and a lot of diamonds. Any suggestions?

mark rodriquez
mine - bonita, California

Q. I have just inherited a ring from my grandmother. It looks like yellow gold, and has the inscription JH on the inside. What does it stand for, is it worth anything or plated?

Elna Potgieter
- South Africa

A. Hi Elna. Unfortunately "JH" means nothing and the color means nothing, so no one has any basis at all upon which to speculate. You need to go to a gold dealer and find out what you have if you are interested in its intrinsic metal value more than its sentimental value. Good luck.

page     1     2     3