topic 29370 p2

Marking system for rings, Hallmarks

< Prev. page          Next page >

Q. There are markings on my engagement ring, some of which I'm unsure of what they mean. The first is "14K", which I assume is 14K gold. Following that marking, there appears to be a "10" or it could be a "40" stamped on it. What does that mean. The last marking is "1.00R", which I would like to know what it means. Thanks......

Kelly McCartney
buyer - Hammond, Louisiana

Q. What is my army Ranger ring made of? Inside the ring it says BALFOURBPS PATPEND and has a "c" with a circle around it

Nicole Graver

- Belfair, Washington

A. Hi, Nicole. Thank you for your service to our country!

BPS is, according to the manufacturer's site, "Balfour Premium Silver", an alloy of silver and palladium. "Patpend" means they are trying to get a patent on this particular alloy, and the c with a circle means they have copyrighted the tradename BALFOURPBS.

Q. Hi, I bought a pearl and gold pendant. It says 14k cp. I was wondering what the cp stands for? Thanks, Patsy

patsy enriquez
medical expert coder - san pedro, California, USA

A. Hi, Patsy. I'm pretty sure that the "CP" means cultured pearl.

Q. Hi There, I have inherited an old ring from the 1920s. Inside the band it has 18K in a larger font and then 14K in a smaller font right beside, and then it has an engraving of a diamond and another little engraving of a swirl pattern. Does anyone have any ideas what these markings mean?

Kate Voyce
- Vancover, British Columbia, Canada

The Meaning of "cTo"

Q. KOCH Anniversary Ring: I have a gold marked 10kt, and a mark "cTo" next to it. Can you tell me what the "cTo" stands for?

Harold Boerstler
Interested Son In Law - Amarillo, Texas, USA

A. Hi, Harold. That's the trademark for O.C. Tanner Jewelry Co.

Q. I see that you answered the marking question re: cto earlier up. but I have a bangle that says made in jamaica WI (WI stands for West Indies with the letters CTO in caps, Sterling after that. I don't think this it the OC tanner company as it is not made in the US. I have looked online to no avail.
Any info great appreciated. I did find an item on ebay no description but it was called vintage.

Lynn Rogers
- Newport, Rhode Island

Q. I am looking at a used ring (band) that has "OC14K" inside the band. Does this "OC" stand for the O.C. Tanner Company? Thanks.

jim underwood
- draper, Virginia USA

A. Hi Jim. With a photo, it might be possible to compare against some O.C. Tanner trademarks and take an educated guess; but without a photo, just two letters, and with tens of thousands of makers, and hundreds of thousands of maker marks, it's hopeless to guess. All we can say is odds are probably against because there are so many other makers :-)

MEK

Q. Okay this was weird but two days ago I came across and old ring in a box of items I was getting ready to toss. We were having a yard sale and when going through the box in question I found a gold and topaz (I think) ring. I liked it cleaned it up and put it on. Later at the yard sale a couple men that go all over the country looking for antiques and things stopped into our sale. They bought several of my items but when they noticed my ring they REALLY wanted it. I don't know if it's even worth a penny I just like it because it's pretty. But their visit got me wondering more about it. Here's the description and any help giving would be great appreciated. It's a size nine ring 10K gold with eagles on both sides. It's not it doesn't look "manly" enough to be a mens ring so I thinks it for a lady. Inside it's marked with a serial type number, the 10K mark and then the letters MEK. Can anybody tell me what MEK means, I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Thank you in advance for any help given.

Becca Smith
just about anything - Eureka Kansas USA

"American Jewelry Manufacturers"
by Dorothy T. Rainwater

info on Amazon

A. Hi Becca, I had a query similar to yours on a diamond ring I have. it has the 10k VIR on it. I found that this is Virginian gold mined from Virginia (duh) perhaps yours is 10k MEK, which could refer to (this straight from Google)
"Metals Creek Resources Corp. - Home
www.metalscreek.com/
Metals Creek Resources Corp. (the 'Corporation', TSX-V:MEK), is a Canadian TSX venture exchange listed company incorporated under the laws of the ...
News - Contact - Ogden TWP - Corporate Team
MEK.V: Summary for METALS CREEK RESOURCES CORP ...
Perhaps a little more digging could be done.

Gem Caldwell
- Brisbane Qld Australia

A. Hi Gem. Anything is possible, but what would lead you to believe that this mining company even makes rings?

Q. I have a wedding band purchased in 1965. Inside band there are markings: what looks like a capital p dash c . (p-c) an emblem of a pear with a p inside. and 14k. Any idea what these mean?

Larry Creasy
- Maryland Heights, Missouri

Q. The 4 marks on my ring are a follows:

GA OZ 375
Any ideas?

Diane Roy
hobbyist - Winfield, BC, Canada

Warman's Jewelry: Identification and Price Guide

Q. Hi, I want to know what "14 K MO" mark inside a ring means.
Is MO mark about moissanite instead of diamonds?
It is a white gold ring with little diamonds.

Thanks in advance

Dan Garz
- Columbus, Ohio

Q. Hi - I purchased a ring that I was told was 14k. The marking on the inside of the band says 14k PAT FL-8. After reading some of your answers - I'm wondering if PAT means Patented, but not sure what the FL-8 would mean. Is it plated? Thanks! Tina

Tina Davidson
- Morristown, New Jersey, USA

Meaning of "THE LE"

Q. 18k PLAT on one side and THE LE on the other along with a star or diamond shape right after LE. Trying to find out what these markings mean. Please advise.

Arthur Muellr
- Las Vegas, Nevada

Q. Hi
I have a ring that has no hallmark, but does have "THE LE" on the inside! What does this mean I can't find anything on it!

Damon spink
- England

A. Answer to "THE LE" with a diamond

The diamond is an "O" so it stands for THE LEO diamonds.

Micky Altmann
- Westwood, New Jersey, usa

Q. I purchased a very pretty ring with a large stone in center and many little stones around it, the only marking on it is S A, and I can not find what that means, I would appreciate any help on this. I have no idea what kind of metal it is.

Laurie Herting
- Bethel, Minnesota, USA

Q. My ring is opal and diamond. It is white gold I think. What do the numbers inside p with smaller 6 or maybe a t next to 900 mean? then across from that on inside of ring it has 292-034 what does this mean?

Mike Davis
- Michigan

Q. I was recently proposed to! My fiance gave me his mom's ring about which we know nothing (she died when he was really young). I have been wondering what type of ring it was, etc. It appears to be a gold band with a diamond in the shape of a heart. Inside the ring it reads "50" and "B2". What do these markings mean??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ANSWERS :).

Kristy Green
- United States

Q. I recently was given a few rings that belonged to my great grandmother. One is a rather thick band with 14K and and R engraved inside a shield. I understand this to be the makers mark. The other ring is a beautiful white gold diamond ring, engraved with 14K and a marking that looks like either a cursive K or a backwards capital "D" and "K" mashed together. Does anyone know these markings? Thanks for your help!

Mimi S
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Q. My mother-in-law gave me her wedding ring before she passed away. It's a unique ring. Very wide band with one big square diamond in the middle and on the side, at a angle is three diamonds. Inside it has the letters:14K and LIT. This ring is about 52 years old and I have been trying to find out what the LIT stands for. I know many jewelers marked their rings with initials. Can you tell me what these initials stand for. Thank you

Wanda Arent
- Lebanon, Ohio

A. Ladies and gentlemen here is a web address with a list of symbol meanings on it:
http://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Blog/marks-stamped-inside-rings/

Jaci Elrod
- Fyffe, Alabama

Q. I found a ring with the imprint of C25 on it what does that stand for?

Shanna Green
- Taylorsville, Utah, USA

Gold & Platinum Jewelry Buying Guide
byRenée Newman

info on Amazon

Q. Hello:
I have a wedding ring that appears to be gold/platinum with a row of (V's etched all around the top side. Inside the ring definitely appears to be gold with a few scrapes but nothing serious. The ring is some what heavy. Strangely there is No stamp inside any where. I've had this ring for a long time and never turned my finger green or black. I've also taken it to be tested at a pawn shop and was told that it did not pass the gold test but could be because it may be platinum and would be worth more than gold. Also did the makeup/foundation test and noticed a greyish/black marking when done. Can ANYONE tell me what kind of band I may possibly have.
Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Gail

Gail Douglas
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Q. The inside of my engagement ring is stamped 1TW 10KT Q (on one side of the setting) and 4 on the other side. Can someone kindly tell me what these initials stand for please and thank you.

tb

T Bolling
- Gaithersburg, Maryland

Q. I bought a used ring, it is a square shaped garnet and it does look like real gold but when I went to look for the # of K's on there there was none but a number 925. Is this ring real? Or is it not :( Thank-you in advance.

Karen Galligos
- Powell River BC Canada

A. Hi Karen. "925" usually means 92.5% pure silver -- the same as "Sterling". So it sounds like a gold plated sterling silver ring.

"American Jewelry Manufacturers"
by Dorothy T. Rainwater

info on Amazon

Q. Have you heard of STAN D STERLING? I just purchased a Malachite ring with "STAN D STERLING" stamped on the back.

Jen Bernardino
- New Bedford, Massachusetts USA

Q. I have a past, present, future diamond pendant which has markings of 8KCP on it. Could you tell me what this means?

Kathy Mancuso
- Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA

Q. I recently received a white gold ring with a purple stone with a stamp on the inside 10KT. Can you tell me if it is plated or solid? Trying to figure out what this ring really is. Thanks Crystal

Crystal Jackson
- Missouri

A. Hi Crystal.

10KT means it's solid, and 10/24's pure gold.

< Prev. page          Next page >