(one of the world's very few 'no registration' sites)

-----

"Marking system for rings, Hallmarks"

FAQs & TUTORIAL:
(to provide context, hopefully helping readers more quickly understand the Q&A's)

The only marking on gold rings which is pretty much universal is the "K" or "KT" karat mark. 100% pure gold is 24 karat, and a karat mark represents how many parts out of 24 are pure gold. Thus 18K is 18/24's or 75% pure, 12K is 12/24's or 50% pure gold, etc.

Current questions and answers:

Q. MY WIFE WAS GIVEN HER GREAT GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S WEDDING BAND. ON THE INSIDE ARE THESE MARKINGS: AN H, THEN A CROWN, THEN 18M. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THESE MEAN?

29370-24

Jeff chandler
- LINCOLNTON North Carolina
^

Q. I HAVE A RING WITH JA 18K/SS ON IT. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN.
I ALSO HAVE ONE WITH JA SS10K ON IT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN.

Emmett Alden Presley
- Jonesboro, Arkansas
^

A. Hi Jeff, hi Emmett. We're very happy to post your questions, but we apparently must continuously repeat that this is a public forum, not a consultancy. No one is standing by to offer answers, and there are already hundreds of questions about markings on rings but only a few dozen scattered answers & pieces of guidance on how/where to find info.

So if you want to read the answers that are already here and see what you can learn from them, or if you want to try addressing another poster on a one enthusiast to another basis and see if you can engage them in a dialog, you might get something going! But if people just pop in to drop off a question, odds are very high that they'll just become unanswered question no. 500 & unanswered question no. 501. Sorry :-(

^

Q. I received a ring with a stamp on the inside that says: "10K (has a star next to it) HDO". Along the other side of the band on the inside too, it has the word "master". I am Wondering what this means? I have tried searching it and looking up the stamp, but cannot find anything about it. Please help!

Carlye Kiedrowski
- Woodbridge Virginia
^

A. Hi Carlye. 10K stands for 10K gold, which is 10/24 pure gold and 14/24 other metals like copper and silver. If you received the ring from your grandmother, it's 10K gold; if you received it mail-order from China it might be 10K gold or it may just be facetious markings. Buy precious metals only from a person or store you trust :-)
As for the star, "HDO", and "master", yes, there are so many tens of thousands of general markings that it may well be hopeless.

^

Q. My mom gave me an old silver alexandrite ring and it has E6 stamped inside the band. What does E6 mean? There are no other markings inside the ring. I believe it is sterling silver.

Amy Bruce
- Dixon, Kentucky
^

A. Welcome Amy. Welcome no. 503 :-)

^

Q. Square box with a slash though it diagonal from top right corner to the bottom left corner after 10 k on a ring what does it mean?

Steve dickson
- Lawrenceburg Tennessee
^

A. Welcome no. 504, I wish here was something we could do for you but there probably isn't. Sorry.

^

Q. I purchased a white gold ring with markings FR 14KT on one side and Naplan, I think on the other. I figure Naplan is the maker, but find nothing on this, but vintage ring maybe. Thought maybe you might be able to help. Thank you in advance! I broke a prong on one of the outside corners and I'm going to take it for repair. But, should I find another from the same time frame to try and match the stones?

Candice Gateley
none - Oklahoma city, Oklahoma
^

Closely related historical postings, oldest first:

2004

Q. I have an old solitaire gold ring. Inside there is no hallmark, but I think it has been made smaller (I have lost most of the hallmarks on my rings by making them smaller.) There is a marking inside it says MCIAPLAT 436. What does that mean? I assume its gold plate?

Helen P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- England
^

"World Hallmarks Vol. 1"
by Whetstone, Niklewicz, & Matula

(affil. link)

A. Hi Helen. I'm no expert on this, but my guess is that the "PLAT" means the ring is platinum, and the 436 probably means that the solitaire is (or originally was) .436 carats.

^

10k kfy

2004

Q. I was given a white gold ring for Christmas. The band is solid white and has two gold bars on each side of the cluster of diamonds. I looked inside of the ring and it has 10k kfy stamped inside. What does the kfy stand for? This was sold as a white gold ring and not a plated ring. Does the kfy stand for some kind of plate, on the ring?

Jeneen M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Martinsville, Virginia, USA
^

"World Hallmarks Vol. 2"
by Whetstone, Niklewicz, & Matula

(affil. link)

A. Hi Jeneen. Sounds to me like a 10 kt gold ring, with the rest being maker or designer marks, or maybe even an engraving of the owner's initials.

^

"Hallmarks and Date Letters on Silver, Gold and Platinum"
by Eric Bruton

(affil. link)

No karat marks at all

2004

Q. My husband just bought me a white gold diamond ring. I received a certificate stating it is a 14k white gold ring, but inside the ring it doesn't state that; actually it doesn't have a stamp inside at all. Can a ring without a stamp in it be 14k white gold? And will it pose a problem in the future for my daughter when she inherits it? How important is a stamp in a ring? Thank you -- a quick response is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Myrna M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Newark, New Jersey
^

A. FOR RINGS WITH NO MARKING INSIDE --

I MYSELF REALIZED THAT THERE WAS NO MARK INSIDE OF MY RING AFTER HAVING IT SIZED. WHEN YOU ARE HAVING IT MADE SMALLER THE JEWELER CUTS A PIECE OF THE GOLD OUT OF THE BOTTOM PART OF THE BAND AND USUALLY IT'S WHERE IT IS MARKED, THEREFORE LEAVING NO MARK AT ALL. I LEARNED WHEN HAVING A RING MADE SMALLER - ASK THE JEWELER TO: #1 GIVE YOU THE PIECE THAT WAS CUT OUT OR #2 ASK THEM TO ADD IT IN TO MAKE THE BAND PART STRONGER/THICKER.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE,

maria blickos
- washington twp, New Jersey
^

"Jackson's Hallmarks"
English, Scottish, Irish
Silver & Gold Marks
by Ian Pickford

(affil. link)

thumbs up signWell, it's not going to help the jewelers that you told us, Maria :-)

I've never thought of that, but it could be a worthwhile amount of gold or platinum if a ring is severely downsized.

^

"Hallmarks of the Southwest"
by Barton Wright

(affil. link)

Meaning of Marking "P14K"

2004

Q. I have recently purchased a ring from the "fine jewelry" counter of a local store, and have realized my ignorance of the marking system for rings. I wanted a silver-colored ring with a blue stone, and have been informed by the sales people that white gold is the way to go. The ring I purchased is white gold with the mark "P14K" inside. What does this mark mean? Is it gold plated silver or merely rhodium plated white gold or something else? Thank you!

Marguerite H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
consumer - Carmel, Indiana
^

2004

A. "P" is the maker's mark and 14K is gold content = 58.5% gold.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating
Albuquerque, New Mexico

red sky banner ad
^

2006

Q. I recently bought a Garnet & Diamond Ring from a friend and marked on the band reads P14K.....she said it was bought at J.C. Penny ... Does the P stand for the store's identification of is it Plated? Please let me know.

The second ring is a Heart Ring with about 25 little diamonds set in the heart ... It is marked 10K and 5DX8 or 5DXB ... What does this stand for?
Will wait to hear from you ... Thanks for your attention.

Evelyn H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Anchorage, Alaska
^

A. P stamped in a ring with a 10K or 14K means it is a HIGH QUALITY GOLD called "Plumb" You have to be a registered certified goldsmith to use this type of GOLD. The gold is certified PLUMB HIGH VALUE QUALITY.

There...have a nice evening.

Sing Mia
- Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
^

"Gold & Platinum Jewelry Buying Guide"
by Renée Newman

(affil. link)

A. Thanks, Sing! With your help I now see that in the old days the jewelers petitioned the government for a little leeway on the karat issue because of such problems as starting with a 14 kt ring and then having to do some soldering with a lower karat solder and ending up with slightly less than 14 kt on the new overall weight of the ring. Which left them with a quandary. Apparently their request for some small leeway was honored, and a ring marked 14 kt might actually be slightly less than 14 kt. But "plumb" means it's at least 14 kt in final form, including solder, resizing, or anything else.

^

Meaning of marking "A/C"

2006

Q. I JUST RECEIVED AN ENGAGEMENT RING. THE RING HAS MARKINGS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. THE RING IS THE COLOR OF EITHER SILVER, PLATINUM, OR WHITE GOLD. IT DOES NOT STATE 14K, 10K, PT, PLATINUM. IT SIMPLY HAS THE NUMBER 2 ON ONE SIDE AND COPYRIGHT WITH A/C ON THE OTHER. IT HAS THREE DIAMONDS IN THE CENTER AND THREE SMALLER ONES ON EACH SIDE. MY FIANCE NEVER RECEIVED ANY INFO OR CERTIFICATIONS. I PLAN ON GOING TO THE JEWELER TO FIND OUT, BUT PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH INFO SO I AM PREPARED.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

CHRIS R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- NEWPORT, Rhode Island, USA
^

2007

Q. What does it mean when something is stamped with A/C on it? is it white gold?

Roberta Jolivet
student - Florida
^

A. Answer to; Roberta Jolivet student - Florida 2007 Question regarding:

"What does it mean when something is stamped with A/C on it? is it white gold?"

The A/C is the Maker's Mark for - Adwar Casting Company

Brian King
Northbridge Precious Metals Exchange - Palm Coast, Florida USA
^

Meaning of "FAS"

2007

Q. I have a ring that is stamped either fa9 or fas what does this mean? I want to know what fa9 or fas means , I have a ring with this stamped on the inside?

Jeana Ann C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Denver, Colorado
^

A. FAS 925 is Sterling silver

Jamie Silvia
- Branchville, New Jersey
^

Meaning of ... "with an Arrow Through It?"

2007

Q. Hi, I was just recently going through a jewelry box of my late great grandmother's and found a beautiful ring that had 1 larger diamond and 4 smaller ones. I tried to do all the little "tests" to see if it is real like blowing hot air (it passed) and scratching glass (it passed) but on the inside of the ring, the only markings are a copyright sign and what looks like an H with an arrow through it? I've tried researching this symbol and came up with nothing. What does it mean?

Ashley McDonald
- Charleston, West Virginia
^

Q. I have an old ring that I'm not sure where I got it from but all it says on the inside of the band is an 8 and a 0 w/ an arrow through it. ( the arrow is only through the 0) I have no idea if this ring is even worth something let alone what that means.

Nicole Gage
- Portage, Wisconsin, USA
^

Q. I have a ring white gold? Double heart with diamonds, mark in 14K "W" arrow up to the right "S". Does this mean anything?

Elaine Rusnak
- Scranton, Pennsylvania
^

A. Hi Elaine.

The "14K" certainly means 14 karat gold. The rest is maker's marks / hallmarks that I'm not familiar with.

^

Q. I recently inherited a lot of jewelry that my grandmother had. Some (if not most) seem to be from HSN or QVC but I found one that is a gorgeous leopard ring with black and onyx gems on it with bright green (emerald) eyes. I can take a picture of it if you'd like. However, it has an "H" with an arrow through it and I can't seem to find anywhere that states what this jeweler mark is. Do you know? Are there other resources online? There is a ton of it - enough that I'm opening up my own small jewelry boutique with the inventory.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Aleena Felts
- King, North Carolina, USA
^

Q. I have a diamond gold ring; inside the ring is the number 9 and an arrow with the capital letter "U" in the middle of the arrow. What does that mean and what can you tell me about the ring.
thank you
Richard

RICHARD J MALINOWSKI
- CONCORD, New Hampshire
^

Q. PLEASE HELP. FOUND A CHILD'S RING. LOOKS TO BE A RUBY SET IN RING. HAS MH WITH ARROW RUNNING COMPLETELY THROUGH IT. CAN ANYBODY INDENTIFY MAKER. LOOKS TO BE FROM 20'S OR 30'S.

RICHARD BEDOSKY
FOUND RING - LEWISBURG Pennsylvania USA
^

14K PAT

Q. I received a ring from my mother the engrave 14k PAT on the inside what does that mean?

leslie bielavme
- lansford, Pennsylvania
^

A. Hi, Leslie. I'd be pretty confident that "PAT" is simply an abbreviation for "patented", and that it means they claim a design pattern on the look of the ring.

^

Q. There are markings on my engagement ring, some of which I'm unsure of what they mean. The first is "14K", which I assume is 14K gold. Following that marking, there appears to be a "10" or it could be a "40" stamped on it. What does that mean. The last marking is "1.00R", which I would like to know what it means. Thanks......

Kelly McCartney
buyer - Hammond, Louisiana
^

Q. What is my army Ranger ring made of? Inside the ring it says BALFOURBPS PATPEND and has a "c" with a circle around it

Nicole Graver
- Belfair, Washington
^

A. Hi, Nicole. Thank you for your service to our country!

BPS is, according to the manufacturer's site, "Balfour Premium Silver", an alloy of silver and palladium. "Patpend" means they are trying to get a patent on this particular alloy, and the c with a circle means they have copyrighted the tradename BALFOURPBS.

^

Q. Hi, I bought a pearl and gold pendant. It says 14k cp. I was wondering what the cp stands for? Thanks, Patsy

patsy enriquez
medical expert coder - san pedro, California, USA
^

A. Hi, Patsy. I'm pretty sure that the "CP" means cultured pearl.

^

Q. Hi There, I have inherited an old ring from the 1920s. Inside the band it has 18K in a larger font and then 14K in a smaller font right beside, and then it has an engraving of a diamond and another little engraving of a swirl pattern. Does anyone have any ideas what these markings mean?

Kate Voyce
- Vancover, British Columbia, Canada
^

The Meaning of "cTo"

Q. KOCH Anniversary Ring: I have a gold marked 10kt, and a mark "cTo" next to it. Can you tell me what the "cTo" stands for?

Harold Boerstler
Interested Son In Law - Amarillo, Texas, USA
^

A. Hi, Harold. That's the trademark for O.C. Tanner Jewelry Co.

^

Q. I see that you answered the marking question re: cto earlier up. but I have a bangle that says made in jamaica WI (WI stands for West Indies with the letters CTO in caps, Sterling after that. I don't think this it the OC tanner company as it is not made in the US. I have looked online to no avail.
Any info great appreciated. I did find an item on ebay no description but it was called vintage.

Lynn Rogers
- Newport, Rhode Island
^

Q. I am looking at a used ring (band) that has "OC14K" inside the band. Does this "OC" stand for the O.C. Tanner Company? Thanks.

jim underwood
- draper, Virginia USA
^

A. Hi Jim. With a photo, it might be possible to compare against some O.C. Tanner trademarks and take an educated guess; but without a photo, just two letters, and with tens of thousands of makers, and hundreds of thousands of maker marks, it's hopeless to guess. All we can say is odds are probably against because there are so many other makers :-)

^

MEK

Q. Okay this was weird but two days ago I came across and old ring in a box of items I was getting ready to toss. We were having a yard sale and when going through the box in question I found a gold and topaz (I think) ring. I liked it cleaned it up and put it on. Later at the yard sale a couple men that go all over the country looking for antiques and things stopped into our sale. They bought several of my items but when they noticed my ring they REALLY wanted it. I don't know if it's even worth a penny I just like it because it's pretty. But their visit got me wondering more about it. Here's the description and any help giving would be great appreciated. It's a size nine ring 10K gold with eagles on both sides. It's not it doesn't look "manly" enough to be a mens ring so I thinks it for a lady. Inside it's marked with a serial type number, the 10K mark and then the letters MEK. Can anybody tell me what MEK means, I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Thank you in advance for any help given.

Becca Smith
just about anything - Eureka Kansas USA
^

"American Jewelry Manufacturers"
by Dorothy T. Rainwater

(affil. link)

A. Hi Becca, I had a query similar to yours on a diamond ring I have. it has the 10k VIR on it. I found that this is Virginian gold mined from Virginia (duh) perhaps yours is 10k MEK, which could refer to (this straight from Google)
"Metals Creek Resources Corp. - Home
www.metalscreek.com/
Metals Creek Resources Corp. (the 'Corporation', TSX-V:MEK), is a Canadian TSX venture exchange listed company incorporated under the laws of the ...
News - Contact - Ogden TWP - Corporate Team
MEK.V: Summary for METALS CREEK RESOURCES CORP ...
Perhaps a little more digging could be done.

Gem Caldwell
- Brisbane Qld Australia
^

A. Hi Gem. Anything is probably possible, but what would lead us to believe that this digging company makes rings?

^

Q. I have a wedding band purchased in 1965. Inside band there are markings: what looks like a capital p dash c . (p-c) an emblem of a pear with a p inside. and 14k. Any idea what these mean?

Larry Creasy
- Maryland Heights, Missouri
^

Q. The 4 marks on my ring are a follows:

GA OZ 375
Any ideas?

Diane Roy
hobbyist - Winfield, BC, Canada
^

"Jewelry Identification and Price Guide"
by Warman

(affil. link)

Q. Hi, I want to know what "14 K MO" mark inside a ring means.
Is MO mark about moissanite instead of diamonds?
It is a white gold ring with little diamonds.

Thanks in advance

Dan Garz
- Columbus, Ohio
^

Q. Hi - I purchased a ring that I was told was 14k. The marking on the inside of the band says 14k PAT FL-8. After reading some of your answers - I'm wondering if PAT means Patented, but not sure what the FL-8 would mean. Is it plated? Thanks! Tina

Tina Davidson
- Morristown, New Jersey, USA
^

Meaning of "THE LE"

Q. 18k PLAT on one side and THE LE on the other along with a star or diamond shape right after LE. Trying to find out what these markings mean. Please advise.

Arthur Muellr
- Las Vegas, Nevada
^

Q. Hi
I have a ring that has no hallmark, but does have "THE LE" on the inside! What does this mean I can't find anything on it!

Damon spink
- England
^

A. Answer to "THE LE" with a diamond

The diamond is an "O" so it stands for THE LEO diamonds.

Micky Altmann
- Westwood, New Jersey, usa
^

Q. I purchased a very pretty ring with a large stone in center and many little stones around it, the only marking on it is S A, and I can not find what that means, I would appreciate any help on this. I have no idea what kind of metal it is.

Laurie Herting
- Bethel, Minnesota, USA
^

Q. My ring is opal and diamond. It is white gold I think. What do the numbers inside p with smaller 6 or maybe a t next to 900 mean? then across from that on inside of ring it has 292-034 what does this mean?

Mike Davis
- Michigan
^

Q. I was recently proposed to! My fiance gave me his mom's ring about which we know nothing (she died when he was really young). I have been wondering what type of ring it was, etc. It appears to be a gold band with a diamond in the shape of a heart. Inside the ring it reads "50" and "B2". What do these markings mean??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ANSWERS :).

Kristy Green
- United States
^

Q. I recently was given a few rings that belonged to my great grandmother. One is a rather thick band with 14K and and R engraved inside a shield. I understand this to be the makers mark. The other ring is a beautiful white gold diamond ring, engraved with 14K and a marking that looks like either a cursive K or a backwards capital "D" and "K" mashed together. Does anyone know these markings? Thanks for your help!

Mimi S
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
^

Q. My mother-in-law gave me her wedding ring before she passed away. It's a unique ring. Very wide band with one big square diamond in the middle and on the side, at a angle is three diamonds. Inside it has the letters:14K and LIT. This ring is about 52 years old and I have been trying to find out what the LIT stands for. I know many jewelers marked their rings with initials. Can you tell me what these initials stand for. Thank you

Wanda Arent
- Lebanon, Ohio
^

A. Ladies and gentlemen here is a web address with a list of symbol meanings on it:
http://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Blog/marks-stamped-inside-rings/

Jaci Elrod
- Fyffe, Alabama
^

Q. I found a ring with the imprint of C25 on it what does that stand for?

Shanna Green
- Taylorsville, Utah, USA
^

Q. Hello:
I have a wedding ring that appears to be gold/platinum with a row of (V's etched all around the top side. Inside the ring definitely appears to be gold with a few scrapes but nothing serious. The ring is some what heavy. Strangely there is No stamp inside any where. I've had this ring for a long time and never turned my finger green or black. I've also taken it to be tested at a pawn shop and was told that it did not pass the gold test but could be because it may be platinum and would be worth more than gold. Also did the makeup/foundation test and noticed a greyish/black marking when done. Can ANYONE tell me what kind of band I may possibly have.
Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Gail

Gail Douglas
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
^

Q. The inside of my engagement ring is stamped 1TW 10KT Q (on one side of the setting) and 4 on the other side. Can someone kindly tell me what these initials stand for please and thank you.

tb

T Bolling
- Gaithersburg, Maryland
^

Q. I bought a used ring, it is a square shaped garnet and it does look like real gold but when I went to look for the # of K's on there there was none but a number 925. Is this ring real? Or is it not :( Thank-you in advance.

Karen Galligos
- Powell River BC Canada
^

A. Hi Karen. "925" usually means 92.5% pure silver -- the same as "Sterling". So it sounds like a gold plated sterling silver ring.

^

Q. Have you heard of STAN D STERLING? I just purchased a Malachite ring with "STAN D STERLING" stamped on the back.

Jen Bernardino
- New Bedford, Massachusetts USA
^

Q. I have a past, present, future diamond pendant which has markings of 8KCP on it. Could you tell me what this means?

Kathy Mancuso
- Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA
^

Q. I recently received a white gold ring with a purple stone with a stamp on the inside 10KT. Can you tell me if it is plated or solid? Trying to figure out what this ring really is. Thanks Crystal

Crystal Jackson
- Missouri
^

A. Hi Crystal.

10KT means it's solid, and 10/24's pure gold.

^

(You're on the 1st page of this topic)       Next page >

adv.:    Discover the choice made by manufacturers
nationwide for high quality jewelry plating & finishing

red sky plating banner