Get personalized metal finishing help, no charge!

Marking system for rings, Hallmarks

(-----)
Tutorial:
(to provide context, hopefully helping readers more quickly understand the Q&A's)

The only marking on gold rings which is pretty much universal is the "K" or "KT" karat mark. 100% pure gold is 24 karat, and a karat mark represents how many parts out of 24 are pure gold. Thus 18K is 18/24's or 75% pure, 12K is 12/24's or 50% pure gold, etc.

Current questions:

Q. Hi
I'm in the UK and have a diamond ring which has D5.05ct and Pt950 stamped on the inside of the band. Stone measures 11 mm across and approx. 6.5mm high.

29370-26a   29370-26b   29370-26c   29370-26d   29370-26e  

It has no Jeweller's Marks or Maker's Stamp ... does this mean its been made abroad? It's been in my family for years.
Many Thanks.

Mrs McG [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Haddington U.K.
^

A. Hi Mrs. McG. I deleted your name & town because to my totally untrained eye I see no good reason to believe it's not a platinum ring with a real 5 ct diamond, worth 5 maybe 6 figures.

I'd get it appraised immediately. Or maybe take it to Christie's or Southbys. Who knows, maybe it'll pay off your mortgage and fund a trip around the world :-)

^

Q. Only letters for hallmark, test shows to possibly be palladium. Same hallmark on both rings. Would like to know more. Thank you.

29370-27c 29370-27a 29370-27b

Jennifer Hernandez
Just a granddaughter trying to know more about my grandmother 's jewelry - Houston Texas
^

A. Hi Jennifer. The hallmark appears to be Thomas McGrath of Providence RI. My guess is they are silver, not palladium, and neither worthless nor very valuable. You can search E-bay, ETSY, and the like for similar jewelry, or ask a jeweler or pay-service for an appraisal if not satisfied with my guess, which is based on little except a 10-minute google :-)

^

Q. My name is Matt and I am trying to identify this ring I got from my grandmothers estate before I propose to my girlfriend. It is a 10k rose gold engagement ring with a Chanel logo underneath the main stone on the inside, slanted figure 8 stamp inside of square, with two breaks in the stamping almost appearing like L7 on the inside of the band.

29370-28c   29370-28d   29370-28a   29370-28b  

The side view of the ring shows a crown with a pink diamond in the center. The Ariel view displays a larger oval diamond inside of the diamond halo the top of the band on both sides splits and reconnects three times on each side for six total openings. The top on each side holds pink oval diamonds and the diamond halo surround them as well as the middle opening.

Matthew Sosa
- Toledo Ohio
^

Q. I bought a small bag of jewelry at an estate sale. The ring pictured was in the bag. The marking inside the ring is P OK. Do you know what this means?

gold & diamond ring

Angela Grubbs
- Macon Georgia
^

Closely related historical postings, oldest first:

2004

Q. I have an old solitaire gold ring. Inside there is no hallmark, but I think it has been made smaller (I have lost most of the hallmarks on my rings by making them smaller.) There is a marking inside it says MCIAPLAT 436. What does that mean? I assume its gold plate?

Helen P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- England
^

"World Hallmarks Vol. 1"
by Whetstone, Niklewicz, & Matula

Affiliate Link
(your purchases make finishing.com possible)

A. Hi Helen. I'm no expert on this, but my guess is that the "PLAT" means the ring is platinum, and the 436 probably means that the solitaire is (or originally was) .436 carats.

^

10k kfy

2004

Q. I was given a white gold ring for Christmas. The band is solid white and has two gold bars on each side of the cluster of diamonds. I looked inside of the ring and it has 10k kfy stamped inside. What does the kfy stand for? This was sold as a white gold ring and not a plated ring. Does the kfy stand for some kind of plate, on the ring?

Jeneen M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Martinsville, Virginia, USA
^

"World Hallmarks Vol. 2"
by Whetstone, Niklewicz, & Matula

Affiliate Link

A. Hi Jeneen. Sounds to me like a 10 kt gold ring, with the rest being maker or designer marks, or maybe even an engraving of the owner's initials.

^

"Hallmarks and Date Letters on Silver, Gold and Platinum"
by Eric Bruton

Affiliate Link

No karat marks at all

2004

Q. My husband just bought me a white gold diamond ring. I received a certificate stating it is a 14k white gold ring, but inside the ring it doesn't state that; actually it doesn't have a stamp inside at all. Can a ring without a stamp in it be 14k white gold? And will it pose a problem in the future for my daughter when she inherits it? How important is a stamp in a ring? Thank you -- a quick response is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Myrna M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Newark, New Jersey
^

A. FOR RINGS WITH NO MARKING INSIDE --

I MYSELF REALIZED THAT THERE WAS NO MARK INSIDE OF MY RING AFTER HAVING IT SIZED. WHEN YOU ARE HAVING IT MADE SMALLER THE JEWELER CUTS A PIECE OF THE GOLD OUT OF THE BOTTOM PART OF THE BAND AND USUALLY IT'S WHERE IT IS MARKED, THEREFORE LEAVING NO MARK AT ALL. I LEARNED WHEN HAVING A RING MADE SMALLER - ASK THE JEWELER TO: #1 GIVE YOU THE PIECE THAT WAS CUT OUT OR #2 ASK THEM TO ADD IT IN TO MAKE THE BAND PART STRONGER/THICKER.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE,

maria blickos
- washington twp, New Jersey
^

"Jackson's Hallmarks"
by Ian Pickford

Affiliate Link

thumbs up signWell, it's not going to help the jewelers that you told us, Maria :-)

I've never thought of that, but it could be a worthwhile amount of gold or platinum if a ring is severely downsized.

^

"Hallmarks of the Southwest"
by Barton Wright

Affiliate Link

Meaning of Marking "P14K"

2004

Q. I have recently purchased a ring from the "fine jewelry" counter of a local store, and have realized my ignorance of the marking system for rings. I wanted a silver-colored ring with a blue stone, and have been informed by the sales people that white gold is the way to go. The ring I purchased is white gold with the mark "P14K" inside. What does this mark mean? Is it gold plated silver or merely rhodium plated white gold or something else? Thank you!

Marguerite H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
consumer - Carmel, Indiana
^

2004

A. "P" is the maker's mark and 14K is gold content = 58.5% gold.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating
Albuquerque, New Mexico
redsky
^

2006

Q. I recently bought a Garnet & Diamond Ring from a friend and marked on the band reads P14K.....she said it was bought at J.C. Penny ... Does the P stand for the store's identification of is it Plated? Please let me know.

The second ring is a Heart Ring with about 25 little diamonds set in the heart ... It is marked 10K and 5DX8 or 5DXB ... What does this stand for?
Will wait to hear from you ... Thanks for your attention.

Evelyn H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Anchorage, Alaska
^

A. P stamped in a ring with a 10K or 14K means it is a HIGH QUALITY GOLD called "Plumb" You have to be a registered certified goldsmith to use this type of GOLD. The gold is certified PLUMB HIGH VALUE QUALITY.

There...have a nice evening.

Sing Mia
- Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
^

"Gold & Platinum Jewelry Buying Guide"
by Renée Newman

Affiliate Link

A. Thanks, Sing! With your help I now see that in the old days the jewelers petitioned the government for a little leeway on the karat issue because of such problems as starting with a 14 kt ring and then having to do some soldering with a lower karat solder and ending up with slightly less than 14 kt on the new overall weight of the ring. Which left them with a quandary. Apparently their request for some small leeway was honored, and a ring marked 14 kt might actually be slightly less than 14 kt. But "plumb" means it's at least 14 kt in final form, including solder, resizing, or anything else.

^

Meaning of marking "A/C"

2006

Q. I JUST RECEIVED AN ENGAGEMENT RING. THE RING HAS MARKINGS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. THE RING IS THE COLOR OF EITHER SILVER, PLATINUM, OR WHITE GOLD. IT DOES NOT STATE 14K, 10K, PT, PLATINUM. IT SIMPLY HAS THE NUMBER 2 ON ONE SIDE AND COPYRIGHT WITH A/C ON THE OTHER. IT HAS THREE DIAMONDS IN THE CENTER AND THREE SMALLER ONES ON EACH SIDE. MY FIANCE NEVER RECEIVED ANY INFO OR CERTIFICATIONS. I PLAN ON GOING TO THE JEWELER TO FIND OUT, BUT PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH INFO SO I AM PREPARED.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

CHRIS R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- NEWPORT, Rhode Island, USA
^

2007

Q. What does it mean when something is stamped with A/C on it? is it white gold?

Roberta Jolivet
student - Florida
^

A. Answer to; Roberta Jolivet student - Florida 2007 Question regarding:

"What does it mean when something is stamped with A/C on it? is it white gold?"

The A/C is the Maker's Mark for - Adwar Casting Company

Brian King
Northbridge Precious Metals Exchange - Palm Coast, Florida USA
^

Meaning of "FAS"

2007

Q. I have a ring that is stamped either fa9 or fas what does this mean? I want to know what fa9 or fas means , I have a ring with this stamped on the inside?

Jeana Ann C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Denver, Colorado
^

A. FAS 925 is Sterling silver

Jamie Silvia
- Branchville, New Jersey
^

A. FAS is the makers mark for Fifth Avenue Sales, a common 'home party' jewelry maker of both high end costume and Sterling Silver jewelry.

K Bell
Hobbyist - Alberta, Canada
^

Meaning of ... "with an Arrow Through It?"

2007

Q. Hi, I was just recently going through a jewelry box of my late great grandmother's and found a beautiful ring that had 1 larger diamond and 4 smaller ones. I tried to do all the little "tests" to see if it is real like blowing hot air (it passed) and scratching glass (it passed) but on the inside of the ring, the only markings are a copyright sign and what looks like an H with an arrow through it? I've tried researching this symbol and came up with nothing. What does it mean?

Ashley McDonald
- Charleston, West Virginia
^

Q. I have an old ring that I'm not sure where I got it from but all it says on the inside of the band is an 8 and a 0 w/ an arrow through it. ( the arrow is only through the 0) I have no idea if this ring is even worth something let alone what that means.

Nicole Gage
- Portage, Wisconsin, USA
^

Q. I have a ring white gold? Double heart with diamonds, mark in 14K "W" arrow up to the right "S". Does this mean anything?

Elaine Rusnak
- Scranton, Pennsylvania
^

A. Hi Elaine.

The "14K" certainly means 14 karat gold. The rest is maker's marks / hallmarks that I'm not familiar with.

^

! I also have a ring with this mark. All I know is that my parents purchased it from a second hand place when they were younger and it was handed down to me. It is a very dainty yellow gold ER with an even daintier diamond . The band has little intentional slashes around it. I sure wish I knew the maker/meaning.

KayDee House
- Rockland, Maine
^

Q. I recently inherited a lot of jewelry that my grandmother had. Some (if not most) seem to be from HSN or QVC but I found one that is a gorgeous leopard ring with black and onyx gems on it with bright green (emerald) eyes. I can take a picture of it if you'd like. However, it has an "H" with an arrow through it and I can't seem to find anywhere that states what this jeweler mark is. Do you know? Are there other resources online? There is a ton of it - enough that I'm opening up my own small jewelry boutique with the inventory.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Aleena Felts
- King, North Carolina, USA
^

Q. I have a diamond gold ring; inside the ring is the number 9 and an arrow with the capital letter "U" in the middle of the arrow. What does that mean and what can you tell me about the ring.
thank you
Richard

RICHARD J MALINOWSKI
- CONCORD, New Hampshire
^

Q. PLEASE HELP. FOUND A CHILD'S RING. LOOKS TO BE A RUBY SET IN RING. HAS MH WITH ARROW RUNNING COMPLETELY THROUGH IT. CAN ANYBODY INDENTIFY MAKER. LOOKS TO BE FROM 20'S OR 30'S.

RICHARD BEDOSKY
FOUND RING - LEWISBURG Pennsylvania USA
^

14K PAT

Q. I received a ring from my mother the engrave 14k PAT on the inside what does that mean?

leslie bielavme
- lansford, Pennsylvania
^

A. Hi, Leslie. I'd be pretty confident that "PAT" is simply an abbreviation for "patented", and that it means they claim a design pattern on the look of the ring.

^

Q. There are markings on my engagement ring, some of which I'm unsure of what they mean. The first is "14K", which I assume is 14K gold. Following that marking, there appears to be a "10" or it could be a "40" stamped on it. What does that mean. The last marking is "1.00R", which I would like to know what it means. Thanks......

Kelly McCartney
buyer - Hammond, Louisiana
^

Q. What is my army Ranger ring made of? Inside the ring it says BALFOURBPS PATPEND and has a "c" with a circle around it

Nicole Graver
- Belfair, Washington
^

A. Hi, Nicole. Thank you for your service to our country!

BPS is, according to the manufacturer's site, "Balfour Premium Silver", an alloy of silver and palladium. "Patpend" means they are trying to get a patent on this particular alloy, and the c with a circle means they have copyrighted the tradename BALFOURPBS.

^

Q. Hi, I bought a pearl and gold pendant. It says 14k cp. I was wondering what the cp stands for? Thanks, Patsy

patsy enriquez
medical expert coder - san pedro, California, USA
^

A. Hi, Patsy. I'm pretty sure that the "CP" means cultured pearl.

^

Q. Hi There, I have inherited an old ring from the 1920s. Inside the band it has 18K in a larger font and then 14K in a smaller font right beside, and then it has an engraving of a diamond and another little engraving of a swirl pattern. Does anyone have any ideas what these markings mean?

Kate Voyce
- Vancover, British Columbia, Canada
^

The Meaning of "cTo"

Q. KOCH Anniversary Ring: I have a gold marked 10kt, and a mark "cTo" next to it. Can you tell me what the "cTo" stands for?

Harold Boerstler
Interested Son In Law - Amarillo, Texas, USA
^

A. Hi, Harold. That's the trademark for O.C. Tanner Jewelry Co.

^

Q. I see that you answered the marking question re: cto earlier up. but I have a bangle that says made in jamaica WI (WI stands for West Indies with the letters CTO in caps, Sterling after that. I don't think this it the OC tanner company as it is not made in the US. I have looked online to no avail.
Any info great appreciated. I did find an item on ebay no description but it was called vintage.

Lynn Rogers
- Newport, Rhode Island
^

Q. I am looking at a used ring (band) that has "OC14K" inside the band. Does this "OC" stand for the O.C. Tanner Company? Thanks.

jim underwood
- draper, Virginia USA
^

A. Hi Jim. With a photo, it might be possible to compare against some O.C. Tanner trademarks and take an educated guess; but without a photo, just two letters, and with tens of thousands of makers, and hundreds of thousands of maker marks, it's hopeless to guess. All we can say is odds are probably against because there are so many other makers :-)

^

MEK

Q. Okay this was weird but two days ago I came across and old ring in a box of items I was getting ready to toss. We were having a yard sale and when going through the box in question I found a gold and topaz (I think) ring. I liked it cleaned it up and put it on. Later at the yard sale a couple men that go all over the country looking for antiques and things stopped into our sale. They bought several of my items but when they noticed my ring they REALLY wanted it. I don't know if it's even worth a penny I just like it because it's pretty. But their visit got me wondering more about it. Here's the description and any help giving would be great appreciated. It's a size nine ring 10K gold with eagles on both sides. It's not it doesn't look "manly" enough to be a mens ring so I thinks it for a lady. Inside it's marked with a serial type number, the 10K mark and then the letters MEK. Can anybody tell me what MEK means, I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Thank you in advance for any help given.

Becca Smith
just about anything - Eureka Kansas USA
^

"American Jewelry Manufacturers"
by Dorothy T. Rainwater

Affiliate Link

A. Hi Becca, I had a query similar to yours on a diamond ring I have. it has the 10k VIR on it. I found that this is Virginian gold mined from Virginia (duh) perhaps yours is 10k MEK, which could refer to (this straight from Google)
"Metals Creek Resources Corp. - Home
www.metalscreek.com/
Metals Creek Resources Corp. (the 'Corporation', TSX-V:MEK), is a Canadian TSX venture exchange listed company incorporated under the laws of the ...
News - Contact - Ogden TWP - Corporate Team
MEK.V: Summary for METALS CREEK RESOURCES CORP ...
Perhaps a little more digging could be done.

Gem Caldwell
- Brisbane Qld Australia
^

A. Hi Gem. Anything is probably possible, but what would lead us to believe that this digging company makes rings?

^

Q. I have a wedding band purchased in 1965. Inside band there are markings: what looks like a capital p dash c . (p-c) an emblem of a pear with a p inside. and 14k. Any idea what these mean?

Larry Creasy
- Maryland Heights, Missouri
^

Q. The 4 marks on my ring are a follows:

GA OZ 375
Any ideas?

Diane Roy
hobbyist - Winfield, BC, Canada
^

"Jewelry Identification and Price Guide"
by Warman

Affiliate Link

Q. Hi, I want to know what "14 K MO" mark inside a ring means.
Is MO mark about moissanite instead of diamonds?
It is a white gold ring with little diamonds.

Thanks in advance

Dan Garz
- Columbus, Ohio
^

Q. Hi - I purchased a ring that I was told was 14k. The marking on the inside of the band says 14k PAT FL-8. After reading some of your answers - I'm wondering if PAT means Patented, but not sure what the FL-8 would mean. Is it plated? Thanks! Tina

Tina Davidson
- Morristown, New Jersey, USA
^

Meaning of "THE LE"

Q. 18k PLAT on one side and THE LE on the other along with a star or diamond shape right after LE. Trying to find out what these markings mean. Please advise.

Arthur Muellr
- Las Vegas, Nevada
^

Q. Hi
I have a ring that has no hallmark, but does have "THE LE" on the inside! What does this mean I can't find anything on it!

Damon spink
- England
^

A. Answer to "THE LE" with a diamond

The diamond is an "O" so it stands for THE LEO diamonds.

Micky Altmann
- Westwood, New Jersey, usa
^

Q. I purchased a very pretty ring with a large stone in center and many little stones around it, the only marking on it is S A, and I can not find what that means, I would appreciate any help on this. I have no idea what kind of metal it is.

Laurie Herting
- Bethel, Minnesota, USA
^

Q. My ring is opal and diamond. It is white gold I think. What do the numbers inside p with smaller 6 or maybe a t next to 900 mean? then across from that on inside of ring it has 292-034 what does this mean?

Mike Davis
- Michigan
^

Q. I was recently proposed to! My fiance gave me his mom's ring about which we know nothing (she died when he was really young). I have been wondering what type of ring it was, etc. It appears to be a gold band with a diamond in the shape of a heart. Inside the ring it reads "50" and "B2". What do these markings mean??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ANSWERS :).

Kristy Green
- United States
^

Q. I recently was given a few rings that belonged to my great grandmother. One is a rather thick band with 14K and and R engraved inside a shield. I understand this to be the makers mark. The other ring is a beautiful white gold diamond ring, engraved with 14K and a marking that looks like either a cursive K or a backwards capital "D" and "K" mashed together. Does anyone know these markings? Thanks for your help!

Mimi S
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
^

Q. My mother-in-law gave me her wedding ring before she passed away. It's a unique ring. Very wide band with one big square diamond in the middle and on the side, at a angle is three diamonds. Inside it has the letters:14K and LIT. This ring is about 52 years old and I have been trying to find out what the LIT stands for. I know many jewelers marked their rings with initials. Can you tell me what these initials stand for. Thank you

Wanda Arent
- Lebanon, Ohio
^

A. Ladies and gentlemen here is a web address with a list of symbol meanings on it:
http://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Blog/marks-stamped-inside-rings/

Jaci Elrod
- Fyffe, Alabama
^

Q. I found a ring with the imprint of C25 on it what does that stand for?

Shanna Green
- Taylorsville, Utah, USA
^

Q. Hello:
I have a wedding ring that appears to be gold/platinum with a row of (V's etched all around the top side. Inside the ring definitely appears to be gold with a few scrapes but nothing serious. The ring is some what heavy. Strangely there is No stamp inside any where. I've had this ring for a long time and never turned my finger green or black. I've also taken it to be tested at a pawn shop and was told that it did not pass the gold test but could be because it may be platinum and would be worth more than gold. Also did the makeup/foundation test and noticed a greyish/black marking when done. Can ANYONE tell me what kind of band I may possibly have.
Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Gail

Gail Douglas
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
^

Q. The inside of my engagement ring is stamped 1TW 10KT Q (on one side of the setting) and 4 on the other side. Can someone kindly tell me what these initials stand for please and thank you.

tb

T Bolling
- Gaithersburg, Maryland
^

Q. I bought a used ring, it is a square shaped garnet and it does look like real gold but when I went to look for the # of K's on there there was none but a number 925. Is this ring real? Or is it not :( Thank-you in advance.

Karen Galligos
- Powell River BC Canada
^

A. Hi Karen. "925" usually means 92.5% pure silver -- the same as "Sterling". So it sounds like a gold plated sterling silver ring.

^

Q. Have you heard of STAN D STERLING? I just purchased a Malachite ring with "STAN D STERLING" stamped on the back.

Jen Bernardino
- New Bedford, Massachusetts USA
^

Q. I have a past, present, future diamond pendant which has markings of 8KCP on it. Could you tell me what this means?

Kathy Mancuso
- Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA
^

Q. I recently received a white gold ring with a purple stone with a stamp on the inside 10KT. Can you tell me if it is plated or solid? Trying to figure out what this ring really is. Thanks Crystal

Crystal Jackson
- Missouri
^

A. Hi Crystal.

10KT means it's solid, and 10/24's pure gold.

^

Q. I have a diamond heart Solitaire, silver colored band with A inside the band. I can't find anything to identify what this means. Can you help?

B Gibson
- Independence, Missouri
^

Q. I have a ring with 10KEJ stamped inside. What does the EJ stand for?

Lyn Boston
- Lebanon, Tennessee
^

Q. I have a gold men's wedding ring that is stamped J14KS.
Any help would be appreciated.

Lori Hubbard
- Lodi, Wisconsin
^

----
Ed. note -- Folks: Just our periodic reminder that this is a public forum -- there is no one here to help you except each other. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you, but what might work is trying to engage another poster, whereas just adding yet another question to an already long string of them seems unproductive :-(

(You're on the 1st page of this topic)       Next page >