Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Marking system for rings, Hallmarks

Current question:

Q. MY WIFE WAS GIVEN HER GREAT GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S WEDDING BAND. ON THE INSIDE ARE THESE MARKINGS: AN H, THEN A CROWN, THEM 18M. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THESE MEAN?

29370-24

Jeff chandler
- LINCOLNTON North Carolina
^-- Answer or Comment on this question --^

Previous closely related Q&A's starting in:

2004

Q. I have an old solitaire gold ring. Inside there is no hallmark, but I think it has been made smaller (I have lost most of the hallmarks on my rings by making them smaller.) There is a marking inside it says MCIAPLAT 436. What does that mean? I assume its gold plate?

Helen P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- England

"World Hallmarks Vol. 1"
by Whetstone, Niklewicz, & Matula

A. Hi Helen. I'm no expert on this, but my guess is that the "PLAT" means the ring is platinum, and the 436 probably means that the solitaire is (or originally was) .436 carats.

"World Hallmarks Vol. 2"
by Whetstone, Niklewicz, & Matula

10k kfy

2004

Q. I was given a white gold ring for Christmas. The band is solid white and has two gold bars on each side of the cluster of diamonds. I looked inside of the ring and it has 10k kfy stamped inside. What does the kfy stand for? This was sold as a white gold ring and not a plated ring. Does the kfy stand for some kind of plate, on the ring?

Jeneen M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Martinsville, Virginia, USA

A. Hi Jeneen. Sounds to me like a 10 kt gold ring, with the rest being maker or designer marks, or maybe even an engraving of the owner's initials.

"Hallmarks and Date Letters on Silver, Gold and Platinum"
by Eric Bruton

No karat marks at all

2004

Q. My husband just bought me a white gold diamond ring. I received a certificate stating it is a 14k white gold ring, but inside the ring it doesn't state that; actually it doesn't have a stamp inside at all. Can a ring without a stamp in it be 14k white gold? And will it pose a problem in the future for my daughter when she inherits it? How important is a stamp in a ring? Thank you -- a quick response is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Myrna M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Newark, New Jersey

A. FOR RINGS WITH NO MARKING INSIDE --

I MYSELF REALIZED THAT THERE WAS NO MARK INSIDE OF MY RING AFTER HAVING IT SIZED. WHEN YOU ARE HAVING IT MADE SMALLER THE JEWELER CUTS A PIECE OF THE GOLD OUT OF THE BOTTOM PART OF THE BAND AND USUALLY IT'S WHERE IT IS MARKED, THEREFORE LEAVING NO MARK AT ALL. I LEARNED WHEN HAVING A RING MADE SMALLER - ASK THE JEWELER TO: #1 GIVE YOU THE PIECE THAT WAS CUT OUT OR #2 ASK THEM TO ADD IT IN TO MAKE THE BAND PART STRONGER/THICKER.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE,

maria blickos
- washington twp, New Jersey

"Jackson's Hallmarks"
by Ian Pickford

thumbs up signWell, it's not going to help the jewelers that you told us, Maria :-)

I've never thought of that, but it could be a worthwhile amount of gold or platinum if a ring is severely downsized.

"Hallmarks of the Southwest"
by Barton Wright

Meaning of Marking "P14K"

2004

Q. I have recently purchased a ring from the "fine jewelry" counter of a local store, and have realized my ignorance of the marking system for rings. I wanted a silver-colored ring with a blue stone, and have been informed by the sales people that white gold is the way to go. The ring I purchased is white gold with the mark "P14K" inside. What does this mark mean? Is it gold plated silver or merely rhodium plated white gold or something else? Thank you!

Marguerite H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
consumer - Carmel, Indiana

2004

A. "P" is the maker's mark and 14K is gold content = 58.5% gold.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating

Albuquerque, New Mexico
red sky banner ad

2006

Q. I recently bought a Garnet & Diamond Ring from a friend and marked on the band reads P14K.....she said it was bought at J.C. Penny ... Does the P stand for the store's identification of is it Plated? Please let me know.

The second ring is a Heart Ring with about 25 little diamonds set in the heart ... It is marked 10K and 5DX8 or 5DXB ... What does this stand for?
Will wait to hear from you ... Thanks for your attention.

Evelyn H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Anchorage, Alaska

A. P stamped in a ring with a 10K or 14K means it is a HIGH QUALITY GOLD called "Plumb" You have to be a registered certified goldsmith to use this type of GOLD. The gold is certified PLUMB HIGH VALUE QUALITY.

There...have a nice evening.

Sing Mia
- Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

Gold & Platinum Jewelry Buying Guide
byRenée Newman
info on Amazon

A. Thanks, Sing! With your help I now see that in the old days the jewelers petitioned the government for a little leeway on the karat issue because of such problems as starting with a 14 kt ring and then having to do some soldering with a lower karat solder and ending up with slightly less than 14 kt on the new overall weight of the ring. Which left them with a quandary. Apparently their request for some small leeway was honored, and a ring marked 14 kt might actually be slightly less than 14 kt. But "plumb" means it's at least 14 kt in final form, including solder, resizing, or anything else.

Meaning of marking "A/C"

2006

Q. I JUST RECEIVED AN ENGAGEMENT RING. THE RING HAS MARKINGS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. THE RING IS THE COLOR OF EITHER SILVER, PLATINUM, OR WHITE GOLD. IT DOES NOT STATE 14K, 10K, PT, PLATINUM. IT SIMPLY HAS THE NUMBER 2 ON ONE SIDE AND COPYRIGHT WITH A/C ON THE OTHER. IT HAS THREE DIAMONDS IN THE CENTER AND THREE SMALLER ONES ON EACH SIDE. MY FIANCE NEVER RECEIVED ANY INFO OR CERTIFICATIONS. I PLAN ON GOING TO THE JEWELER TO FIND OUT, BUT PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH INFO SO I AM PREPARED.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

CHRIS R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- NEWPORT, Rhode Island, USA

2007

Q. What does it mean when something is stamped with A/C on it? is it white gold?

Roberta Jolivet
student - Florida

A. Answer to; Roberta Jolivet student - Florida 2007 Question regarding:

"What does it mean when something is stamped with A/C on it? is it white gold?"

The A/C is the Maker's Mark for - Adwar Casting Company

Brian King
Northbridge Precious Metals Exchange - Palm Coast, Florida USA

Meaning of "FAS"

2007

Q. I have a ring that is stamped either fa9 or fas what does this mean? I want to know what fa9 or fas means , I have a ring with this stamped on the inside?

Jeana Ann C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Denver, Colorado

A. FAS 925 is Sterling silver

Jamie Silvia
- Branchville, New Jersey

Meaning of ... "with an Arrow Through It?"

2007

Q. Hi, I was just recently going through a jewelry box of my late great grandmother's and found a beautiful ring that had 1 larger diamond and 4 smaller ones. I tried to do all the little "tests" to see if it is real like blowing hot air (it passed) and scratching glass (it passed) but on the inside of the ring, the only markings are a copyright sign and what looks like an H with an arrow through it? I've tried researching this symbol and came up with nothing. What does it mean?

Ashley McDonald
- Charleston, West Virginia

Q. I have an old ring that I'm not sure where I got it from but all it says on the inside of the band is an 8 and a 0 w/ an arrow through it. ( the arrow is only through the 0) I have no idea if this ring is even worth something let alone what that means.

Nicole Gage
- Portage, Wisconsin, USA

Q. I have a ring white gold? Double heart with diamonds, mark in 14K "W" arrow up to the right "S". Does this mean anything?

Elaine Rusnak
- Scranton, Pennsylvania

A. Hi Elaine.

The "14K" certainly means 14 karat gold. The rest is maker's marks / hallmarks that I'm not familiar with.

Q. I recently inherited a lot of jewelry that my grandmother had. Some (if not most) seem to be from HSN or QVC but I found one that is a gorgeous leopard ring with black and onyx gems on it with bright green (emerald) eyes. I can take a picture of it if you'd like. However, it has an "H" with an arrow through it and I can't seem to find anywhere that states what this jeweler mark is. Do you know? Are there other resources online? There is a ton of it - enough that I'm opening up my own small jewelry boutique with the inventory.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Aleena Felts
- King, North Carolina, USA

Q. I have a diamond gold ring; inside the ring is the number 9 and an arrow with the capital letter "U" in the middle of the arrow. What does that mean and what can you tell me about the ring.
thank you
Richard

RICHARD J MALINOWSKI
- CONCORD, New Hampshire

Q. PLEASE HELP. FOUND A CHILD'S RING. LOOKS TO BE A RUBY SET IN RING. HAS MH WITH ARROW RUNNING COMPLETELY THROUGH IT. CAN ANYBODY INDENTIFY MAKER. LOOKS TO BE FROM 20'S OR 30'S.

RICHARD BEDOSKY
FOUND RING - LEWISBURG Pennsylvania USA

14K PAT

Q. I received a ring from my mother the engrave 14k PAT on the inside what does that mean?

leslie bielavme
- lansford, Pennsylvania

A. Hi, Leslie. I'd be pretty confident that "PAT" is simply an abbreviation for "patented", and that it means they claim a design pattern on the look of the ring.

(You're on the 1st page of this topic)       Next page >

adv.:    Discover the choice made by manufacturers
nationwide for high quality jewelry plating & finishing

red sky plating banner