Get personalized metal finishing help, no charge!

Meanings of plating spec abbreviations: MFZn-Ni, MFZn1c, MFZn2-C, MFZn-1S-2, MFZn8-S, etc.

(-----)

Current questions & answers:

Q. I want to know the specifications or detail meaning of plating code MFzn8S

kuwad Mahavir Amarchand
- Pune Maharashtra India
^

Closely related historical postings, oldest first:

2007

Q. We are a automotive metal stamping company based in Malaysia and Thailand and recently, one of our potential customers in Thailand have asked us for quotations for parts with the finishing spec as MfZn8-S. We know MfZn8-C to be normal zinc plating but we do not understand the significance of the change of the last letter in the code to S. Could someone who understands please enlighten us.

Additionally, does the colour of the plating need to be specified after the code?

Joe Ong
Customer - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
^

? Hi Joe. You've moved on to the second problem of what does "-S" mean ...

But you've skipped over the first problem of what does "MFZn8" mean? Although it probably means 8 microns of Zinc plating, does it imply "per ASTM B-633" or "DIN xxxx" or "ISO xxxx" or "JIS xxxx" or "Honda xxxx", etc. Numerous specs may have "MFZn8", and some may have an "-S" ... but complying with one doesn't necessarily mean you complied with the spec. that the customer intended :-(

^

Abbreviations used in Honda plating specs

2004

Q. Regarding Honda's plating spec no. MFZn2-C. What color would the chromate be on this spec? It seems unclear whether it would be clear or yellow chromate.

Robert Bittner
metal stamping manufacturer - Geneva, Ohio
^

A. Per your question regarding MFZn2-C, "C" means Yellow passivation.
B means Blue passivation,
C means Yellow passivation and
K means Black passivation

Ars SRP
- Bangkok, Thailand
^

? I think C may refer to CLEAR and K may refer to Black? Be happy to hear from someone who KNOWS!

Debbie A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Grand Rapids, Michigan USA
^

A. C means the Zn plating color is yellow, and B means Bright color.

FRANK HSU
- Taichung, Taiwan
^

thumbs up signHi all. I'd bet that the answer is right within the spec and the way to know is to read the spec. I hope people are not quoting & plating to specs they don't even have -- but seeing so many inquiries here, there seems little doubt that people are doing just that. I'd love to see the certs:

"We hereby certify that these parts have been plated in full accordance with internet rumors about what that spec might say"  :-)

^

2003

Q. Does anybody know what the plating spec. MFZn-Ni 8-a3-3 is?

John J Colucci
- Waterbury, Connecticut
^

2007

Q. I'm working in a plating shop in Bekasi, Indonesia. I have a question from my customer about the meaning of the number "2" in symbols MFZn-1S-2. Would you please find the answer or tell me where I can find the answer. Thank You.

Cintadi P. Liauw
Plating shop - Bekasi, Jawa Barat, Indonesia
^

A. Hi John. Apparently "MF" means a ferrous substrate in lots of different Japanese specs; "Zn-Ni" means zinc-nickel plating, "8" probably means 8 micron plating thickness. "a3-3" is probably some description of the chromating requirement but I'm not sure.

Hello Cintadi. It has the sound of a JIS spec for zinc plating plus chromating on steel to me,

These letters and numbers are not specifications! They are acronyms used within a specification. I would inquire of these customers if they are referring to Japanese specifications JIS H-8610 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] and JIS H-8625 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] or some other spec. Good luck.

^

2007

Q. I am looking for the details on spec ESP-WS-7620 REV. K with surface treatment MFZn-2S

Angie Robinson
Fastener Distributor - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA
^

A. Hi Angie. According to an on-line list of specs maintained by epiplating.com, I believe that one is a Mitsubishi Motors spec for zinc plating on a steel substrate. Good luck.

^

Q. Hi I am Karthik. I am entirely new to plating, so could you help me in describing the following plating specification?

MFZn1c -- what does this means?

Karthik Kanniyappan
- Chennai, India
^

A. Hi Karthik.

Where did you get that spec? Did it come from a Honda drawing? If not, is it reasonable to think from the circumstances where you found it that it is a Honda spec? If it came from Honda, you get the spec from your Honda buyer. Good luck.

^

A. MFZn1-C means:

MFZn: Zinc plating on base is Steel
1: Means 5 micron Min. plating thickness
C: Yellow color

Le Giao
Engineer - Taiwan
^

Q. What does this mean?

MFZnNi2-B

Muhammad Khan
- Pakistan, Karachi
^

A. Hi Muhammad. It sounds like zinc-nickel alloy plating. Please put it into context: where did you hear it?

Most people seem to think it's a Honda spec, so if you have no reason to believe otherwise, then you probably ought to contact Honda and get the spec. You cannot offer plating to a spec. without having the spec. in hand, so finding out what the acronyms stand for isn't the whole answer anyway. Good luck.

^

Q. Hi, Ted Mooney

Yes, it is Honda Spec.

MFZnNi2-B
This is Zinc alloy plating (Ni is 6 ~ 10%)
Thickness is 8 Microns min and Bright in colour

Please explain in detail.

Muhammad Khan
- Karachi, Pakistan
^

A. Hi cousin. Sorry, but we might be having some language difficulties. You've told us this is a Honda spec. for Zn-Ni plating with 6-10% nickel, a minimum of 8 microns in thickness, and must be bright in color. So I don't quite understand what you mean by asking us to tell you "what does it mean?" :-)

If you are asking us to put the spec on line or email it to you, sorry but no one is allowed to do that except your Honda buyer and perhaps specification services which have licensed that right from Honda. You must contact your Honda buyer and get their specs from them. Good luck.

^

I would like to know about "MFZn-5TC" surface coating. If anyone has the answer please let me know.

Shravan Tripathi
- Indore, India
^

August 30, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Dear sir,

Please tell me about mfzn5-c for JIS SPECIFICATION. AND APPLICATION THEN FEATURES.

Marudhupandian Ganesan
- Chennai, India
^

A. Hi Marudhupandian.

I hope this isn't too confusing, but if I were to ask you to tell me about "type 1 class 2" plating, you would respond that it is a shorthand within a specification, and will mean different things depending on what specification I'm talking about, and I'd need to find out the specification number first.

While we might assume that MFZN5-C means 5 microns of zinc plating with yellow chromate, that code is a shorthand within a specification (perhaps JIS H-8610 and JIS H-8625) but you must find out what specification number it refers to and get a copy of it, because there is really nothing to prevent a given manufacturer from using that acronym/abbreviation for something different in a different spec. Good luck.

^

November 21, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Good afternoon,

I am from South Africa and have never encountered this specification before: MF Zn Ni T2-C
Could you assist please?

Jade Cupido
Technical Service Analyst - South Africa
^

What Honda spec is MFZn2-C defined on?

John

John Tak
- Cleveland, Ohio, USA
^

A. Answering my own question...

MFZn2-C is defined on Honda HES D2003-05.

How to interpret MFZn2-C (what the M means, what the F means, etc) is defined on Honda HES A3010-05.

Unfortunately, as best I can tell, the "-C" just means "colored chromate" and doesn't indicate clear or yellow.

John Tak [returning]
- Cleveland, Ohio, USA
^

Q. Can I ask what is the meaning of this plating code MFZn 8 Cr3 (the no. "8" and "Cr3")? Thanks in advance.

Enelia Puma
- Sta. Rosa Laguna, Philippines
^

A. Hi Puma ,

'MFZn8Cr3' means:

Zn - Zinc plating
8 - Thickness 8 microns
Cr3 - Trivalent Chromate Passivation

Surya Narayana
Process Engineer - Tumkur , Karnataka , INDIA.
^

Q. I have this spec Plating MFZn8-a3-Cr, and need you to tell me about this. Thanks.

Jose Torres
- Ramos Arizpe Coahuila Mexico
^

Q. SIR,
Please explain (JIS H 8610)MF Zn1-cb.

S.VASANTHA SEELAN
METAL FINISHERS - Chennai-Tamil Nadu,India
^

Q. Sir what is MFZn8-3.CF?

Donald Magos
Metal Fabrication - City of Bacoor, Cavite, Philippines
^

Q. I have a print for a part made from P20 (Fin Guide). Dual language print is in English and Chinese and calls out for a surface treatment of MFNiIII or MF Ni III. Does anyone have a guess as to what this may be?

Jeff Hanaway
plating shop owner - Meadville, Pennsylvania
^

Japanese coating specification MZNFE8-TB meaning?

Q. Please let me know the specification that describes and the meaning of the Japanese coating specification MZNFE8-TB. Please let me know where to find this Japanese material coating specification for MZNFE8-TB.

Dennis Lee
Engineer - Wylie, Texas, USA
^

Q. MFZN-2S

Thickness = ?

Mr. Prudchaya
part automotive - Ayuthaya, Thailand
^

thumbs up signThere are no awards for brevity here, Mr. Prudchaya. My guess is either that there's a typo there and what you wrote doesn't specify a thickness though or that it's a Honda spec. where the 2 means 8 microns. But please don't guess :-)

^

Q. I received drawings from Japan with treatment MFZnh-C

Reading the forum I discovered that C means Yellow, and Zn means Zinc coating but what does "h" mean?

Or [maybe it's] MFZnII-C - what does "II" mean?

Thank you in advance

Cinthya Y [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Product designer - Sao Paulo, Brazil
^

sidebar2 June 2016

thumbs up sign Misunderstandings are the #1 cause of problems and financial loss in business, Cinthya, and now we've moved on from merely guessing what spec. no. is implied by a cryptic abbreviation, to conjecturing what character(s) might once have been under a smudge mark. You can't make this stuff up, folks :-)

Seriously Cinthya, you can't proceed without getting clarification of what the customer needs.

^

Difference between MFZn2C and PFZn8C

Q. What is the difference between MFZn2C and PFZn8C? Is there a difference is the plating specifications?

John Bryant
- Opelika, Alabama US
^

A. I work within the Honda organisation and have access to the specs.
I can confirm that MFZn2-C translates as:-
Electroplate, ferrous, Zinc, plating grade2, Coloured chromate.

David Seymour
Honda - Swindon, England
^

Q. What is standard for plating of MFZn8-K ?
I need what are the materials deposited in this plating & their percentage.

Pradip Gaikwad
- Pune, Maharashtra, India
^

Q. Dear sir,
We are Honda supplier and we got a surface treatment for one metal part MFZn.Ni1-B+TB3801
Sir can I get this specification?

Shripad Narayan Limaye
- PUNE, Maharashtra, INDIA
^

A. Shripad,
If it's a Honda specification, the best place to get it would be from Honda themselves.

ray kremer
^

Q. Hi Sir,

What does it mean "finish-zinc plate to MFZn8S", especially MFZn8S? It is required from General Motors.

Sophie Wei
- Shanghai, China
^

What does "MFZn8 Colour Cluster" mean?

Q. Hi, I am sukhwinder, I found the plating specification of MFZn 8 (Colour Cluster). Please help me.

sukhwinder
- Rohtak, Haryana, India
^

A. Hi sukhwinder. Where exactly did you find it? On a GM drawing, a Honda drawing, or where?

I have no idea what "(Colour Cluster)" means, but if we knew where the spec came from we might have a fighting chance.

^

Q. SIR, WHAT IS MF ZN 5C?

PRANAV DESHPANDE
AUTOMOBILE PROTO TYPE SECTOR - SIPCOT Industrial Park,
^

Please enlighten us with PFZn5c...

colour , plating thickness

ashutosh kumar
- delhi india
^

thumbs up sign Posters: Good luck! I hope a reader helps you! As for me, having bored the readers to death making the same point 11 times on this page, "peace, out" :-)

^

Q. What is the Meaning of MFZn8C-NH, I have received one drawing from Japan & plating grade is mentioned MFZn8C-NH
Can anyone explain what is actual meaning of "NH"

Kanhaiya Kumar
- GURUGRAM India.
^

A. Kanhaiya,
Maybe you've gotten the idea from the replies to the older similar questions below, but the best thing to do in a situation like this is go back to the CUSTOMER, ask what spec or standard the plating grade comes from, if they can give you a copy of that spec or standard, and if not where you can get it from.

A proper drawing should have the relevant spec or standard listed right on there.

ray kremer
^

Q. According to Honda's coating specifications, what is the abbreviation MFCu and how about its colour?

Santhosh gautham
- Chennai, tamilnadu, India
^

Q. Hello, Good day!

I still confused with plating Zn
My Company only have drawing with material & plating MFZnIII and my customer drawing is MFZn2-B, MFZn5-B and MFZn8-CF, is the plating same or not?

Can do you explain to me about that?

Thank You So Much.

Best Regards,

Muhammad Angga
- Cikande, Indonesia
^

A. Hi Muhammad. No, they are not the same.
Thank you for writing in American english, but I think we are having language difficulties, because several people have repeatedly tried to make the same two points.

1. Words like "MFZnIII" mean nothing at all until we know what spec authority we are referencing. "III" could mean "trivalent chromate", it could mean "level 3 inspection required", it could mean "for severe exposure" as opposed to for mild or moderate exposure, Only after we say, for example, 'per ABC Automotive Company plating specification XYZ987' does it mean anything.
2. Quoting something, let alone trying to supply it, without the specification in hand is madness. You must obtain the spec.; either your customer supplies the spec, or they tell you where to get it.

^

----
Ed. note:
Please see letter 35197 for another long list of similar sounding Q&A's about plating specs.