Questions about zinc electroplating specification Fe/Zn8

Fe/Zn 8 clarification of required thickness

2001

Q. When ASTM B633 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] specifies SC2 (Fe/Zn8) does this mean a minimum or an exact? Can the supplier send us material with a range of 8-12 microns with the 9-12 microns having a deposit build up which interferes with the functionality of our part?

Janice Tessier
- Sealy, Texas

2001

A. To the best of my knowledge, the thickness is the minimum. It would be very difficult to obtain a certain thickness exactly, for example 8 microns. We need to have a range on the thickness.

You could specify also a maximum thickness, and work with your supplier to see if it is possible to work on this range.

I hope this helps.

Enrique Segovia
- Monterrey, Mexico

2001

A. Hello Janice,

Is the product that you are having a problem with a fastener? The spec. Fe/Zn 8 calls out a minimum specification (0.00031") for zinc on steel, I believe. However, a standard 2A/2B thread fit only has an allowance for finishing of 0.00025". If the plater is trying to meet the intent of the specification which you have called out, and the fastener is relatively long, it is very possible that there will be enough zinc on the starter thread to cause a thread interference. The same issue can occur on a stamping with a threaded hole.

Hope that this helps.

Brian A. Calver, CEF
- Grimsby, Ontario, Canada

A. You could specify the maximum thickness allowed for Fe/Zn 12 classification.

Thiagaraj Maruthi
Engineer in conveyor manufacturing - Kluang, Johor, Malaysia

To minimize your searching efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined some threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

2005

Q. We are quoting a electroplate spec and want to better understand the "breakdown" of the spec. Ep-Fe/Zn8/CM2.

Kim Hewitt
Metal Stamper - Fraser Michigan

A. Ep : electroplate
Fe : substrate to be plated
Zn : kind of plating
8 : thickness (8 mic)
CM1 : blue chromate
CM2 : yellow chromate

Joko P. Yuniartanto
- Bekasi, West Java, Indonesia

A. Hi Kim. Hopefully Joko's reply answered your question satisfactorily. Still I would warn that several different zinc plating specs might include a type Fe/Zn8/CM2, while including additional requirements about testing, lot size, etc. So you probably should be careful to call it out as "ASTM spec. no xxxx type Fe/Zn8/CM2" or "ISO xxxx type Fe/Zn8/CM2" or "Nissan xxxx type Fe/Zn8/CM2" or whatever is the case.

What is Fe/Zn 5 c 2C F-010

2006

Q. I have a customer drawing that states on the finishing field the follows:
ZINC PLATE Fe/Zn 5 c 2C F-010.
As far as I know this is a Zinc Plating over steel, 5 microns, chromate; however I don't know what the rest of the spec. means "2C F-010".
Could somebody help me with this?

Julio Espinoza
Plexus Electronic Assembly - El Paso, Texas

2006

A. Can't you go back to your customer and ask what body issued the standard?

It has the look of a European standard but is not written in the manner which the relevant standard (EN 12329:2000) [BS EN 12329 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]] demands.

John Martin
- Wales

A. That is part of ASTM F1941/F1941M [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]

FE/ZN = Zinc, 5 = .0002 Min thick, C = Yellow

Matt Kelly
- Wheeling, Illinois, USA

Q. According to my customer's drawing, it requires surface treatment: Fe/Zn 8 C5. I don't know what "Fe/Zn 8 C5" means. Please inform me if somebody knows, thanks.

Claire Hsieh
exporter of fasteners - Taipei, Taiwan

Hi, Claire. It's probably ASTM B633 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] -- but who can say that there isn't another spec somewhere, perhaps from a given company, which has a Fe/Zn 8 C5 paragraph? Even if we agree on what these letters mean in one spec, you can't be sure what is wanted without an actual spec number.

A. Fe/zn 8 c5 :
means zinc coated iron with 8 micron thickness

NASER SAMEI
- TEHRAN, IRAN

Spec: Ep-Fe/Zn 8B free from Hexavalent Chromium (White)

Q. I have a print with this plate spec, and just want to make sure that I understand it correctly. As far as I know it is a .00031 min plate thickness, ROHS.

Is there a specific salt spray for this?

Any words of advise would be appreciated.

Amy Kolodziej
plate shop internal - Wyandott, Michigan, USA

A. Hi Amy,
Yes the thickness is 0.00031 inch. This spec means white rust should not appear in 48H, and red rust in 96H more (total 144H).

Joko Prasetyo Yuniartanto
- Bekasi, West Java, Indonesia

A. We follow the detail FEZN8B.
Components require salt spray life up to 240 hours as per drawing of Honda components.

A.S. Kalsi
metal finisher - Gurgaon, Haryana, India

thumbs up sign Joko and A.S.'s contradictory answers should demonstrate that it would be foolish to proceed without knowing what spec number was to be followed for "Ep-Fe/Zn 8B" and to quote, let alone plate, let alone certify, without the spec in hand :-)

What is EP-FE/ZN10 BK Plating?

We have a customer from Japan that requires plating I have never heard. They are specifying Ep-Fe/Zn10 bk. I have contacted our plating shop and they have never heard of this type. It seems it is Zinc plating 10 microns thick, but what does the bk stand for? Please help.

Russ Kinyon
OEM supplier - Hutto, Texas

A. My bet is that "BK" means black chromate, but a guess is no substitute for an authoritative answer :-)

I think you need to find a copy of this specification. It's probably a JS standard. Good luck.

Q. What is the meaning in the electrolytic coating spec "Fe/Zn8/F1" Pc:black passivation Cr+3 Fe/Zn8/F1 - FTR 00025 for an electrolytic coating of zinc on steel, with a minimal thickness of 8µ, is having a black layer of Chrome III passivation?

Ozgur Usluer
plating shop employee - Izmir, Turkiye

Hi, Ozgur. 'Black passivation Cr+3' must surely mean trivalent chromate conversion coloring in the color black. "FTR 00025" doesn't mean anything to me -- sorry. You can't proceed without a copy of the specification, so please ask the buyer to supply a copy of it or tell you where to get it.

What type of plating is Ep-Fe/Zn 5/HB, CM2 C?

Q. We are quoting a job that has this requirement.

Renee Rider
Quality Manager - Columbus, Ohio, USA

What does "TLP" mean in spec Fe/Zn8/TLP?

Q. What is the TLP meaning in the electroplate spec Fe/Zn8/TLP

KH NON
- Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

A. Hi. Google tells me that TLP stands for 'thick layer passivated'.

SK Cheah
- Penang, Malaysia

(You're on the 1st page of this topic)       Next page >

----
Ed. note:
Please see letter 26629 for another long list of similar sounding Q&A's about plating specs.