Ruthenium Plating Process

1996

Q. I've been doing some electroforming of gold onto copper mandrels and etching out the gold with nitric acid. Now the customer wants to have a "medium Z" material (Ruthenium to Antimony) electroformed. In one of the ancient "Ask plater B" queries I had read a response to a similar question which suggested Ruthenium as being resistant to attack from nitric acid. Is this true? Can I plate Ru directly onto copper? (The customer doesn't want stress cracks so I've shied away from Rhodium). I need to plate ~25 microns (1 mil) onto the substrate. Does Ru sound possible?

Fred E [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]

Need low temperature Ruthenium Plating

(2003)

Q. Usually Ruthenium is electroplated at temperature of 60-70 °C. In my application, I need to plate Ruthenium at a temperature of 50 °C or lower. Is there such chemical and process available?

Larry Zhang
- Milpitas, California, USA

Want Jet Black Color with Ruthenium Plating

Jewelry: Concepts and Technology

Q. Hello

My Name is Sudhir, I'm basically a watchmaker, recently my client in Belgium wanted me to plate his watch movements in black colored, I have been using white rhodium plating on mechanical watch movements, using intermediate coating of Palladium. Ever since my buyer wanted to get black finish, I have been researching all around internet, I just saw that Umicore came up with "Blacker" Ruthenium product number 479, also I read some articles on net stating that Pen plating Black Rhodium gets a better blacker finish than bath Rhodium, at the same time some articles saying that pen plating don't ever get you even finish.

Now I'm really not in a position to settle down to any solution, please help me about this problem, I'm willing to hire any professional help in this regard,

Thanking you

Sudhir Ostwal
- Chennai, TN, India
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

A. Sudhir,
If you are unsure on what solution to use, have a local precious metal supplier plate some samples for you. Watch movements are very small and it would seem pen plating would be difficult. Bath plating would have lower thickness variations than pen plate because human error is minimized, and bath plating can plate better in recessed areas. It is hard for anyone just to give you a product name to suit your needs. What if the color of the deposit does not match your needs?

process engineer - Malone, New York

A. Hi, Sudhir Ostwal,
Ruthenium plating, and bath not pen plating, as Mark said rightly is the answer.
There are supply houses making and marketing Ruthenium process. But I want to tell you that this will not be jet black in colour but an attractive dark grey.
Kindly look around in your city itself as I understand there are suppliers of this process.

t k mohan
T.K. Mohan
    plating process supplier 
Mumbai, India

sidebar2 March 10, 2010 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hello, I am a goldsmith. I'd like to have a new design on our gold and silver collection of chains and pendants. I want to use Ruthenium bath to give a black color to our gold and silver collection to get a fixed and heat resistant color (I have to solder next components on it after coloration). I want to use a Nickel Strike bath. I heard about Wood's Nickel Strike bath and Sulfamate Nickel Strike solution. Please, can you give me more information how to make it. What solution is better for me. Or if you have other idea how to do it. Thank you very much. J.T.

Jana Tietz
goldsmith - Czech

----
Ed. note: Please search the site for "Wood's Nickel" and/or "Nickel Strike", Jana. We have 60,000 threads here including dozens about nickel strike formulations, and non-allergenic alternatives, and we don't want this black ruthenium thread to wander into those areas; a hodgepodge thread loses both its reference value and its search engine ranking. Thanks for your understanding.

Earliest known use of ruthenium plating on 18k white gold?

(2005)

Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques

Q. Hi - I'm a hobbyist jeweler and collector and I'm trying to date an 18 carat white gold pendant found recently at an antique fair.

It has clear UK hallmarks for 18k gold and the London assay office, but unfortunately the shape of the shield round the date letter is obscured, putting the piece somewhere between 1840 and 1960!

The pendant is in a late 19th century / early 20th century style - white gold in a loose fleur de lys shape, pave set with diamonds with pendant aquamarine & peridot briolette drops on white gold chain. However, the gold behind the pave set diamonds is blackened with what I think is ruthenium electroplating, so I assume it must be a much later piece than c. 1900.

Is there anyone out there who knows when ruthenium plating was first used on 18k gold or is aware of any earlier techniques that might have been used to blacken white gold?

Sarah Larvor
collector - London, England

Need Ruthenium plating on hard nickel parts

RFQ: My company has a technical application requiring Ruthenium plating on thin hard nickel panels.

If you can do it consistently and reliably this would be an on-going requirement for our business.

An NDA will be required.

Ned Kottmeyer
Electronics - Minneapolis, MN, USA
outdated

Q. Hi everyone. I have a question about ruthenium plating onto jewellery!
The obtained layers have a very dark colour. What's the problem?
10 v, 1 min, 65 degrees.

Mazaher [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- IRAN

A. Hi, You can use a complex (alloy) solution of ruthenium and rhodium.

Gurudatta Thakur
- Mumbai, India

Ruthenium plating onto titanium

(2006)

Q. Is a gold strike necessary when plating ruthenium onto titanium or can the Ru be plated directly to the Ti.

RFQ: I need to plate some titanium round bar .250 - .500 " dia. with ruthenium oxide. I could use some tech support with this to see if it is practical to do it myself. I would also consider jobbing it out if someone is already doing this.

Rusty Shuping
Safe Drinking Water Tech for third world poor - Rockwell, North Carolina, USA

A. Hi Rusty. Rather than definitively answering that, because I can't, I will at least suggest that the hard part is not the electrodeposition of ruthenium, but getting anything to properly plate onto and adhere to titanium. If you are able to get the gold to adhere, count your blessings rather than trying to skip the gold :-)

Please see letter 40558, "Poor adhesion of plating onto titanium", where Hamilton Solidum relates his successful procedure for plating gold onto titanium, or search the site for "plating on titanium". Good luck.

How to get harder Ruthenium deposit?

Q. How to achieve a harder deposit of 0.1 µm of black ruthenium?
Because this deposit is not OK at the wear test (Turbula 30 minutes).
Thank you for your reply.

Gregorio GUIBITINI
- Italy

A. Hi Gregorio. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Turbula wear test. But 0.1µm seems awfully thin to me, no matter how hard the surface :-)

Looking to create a durable black on nickel based white golds

March 30, 2014 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am looking to create a durable black oxidation on all white golds. Also, palladium and platinum would be a bonus. I have tried pen-plated black rhodium, finding it is not all that black. But it also seems to wear off quickly as well. I have tried tellurium solutions as well and with the same results. Most of these will last only a few days to a few weeks. Has anyone had success with a blackening agent on gold that is very dark, and long lasting? Thank you

Peter Jon
goldsmith - Bend Oregon

A User's Guide to Vacuum Technology

A. We had a customer come to us with a similar problem -- trying to get black on white gold. We didn't see how it could be done with plating, so we applied a black coating by PVD. Worked fine, customer is happy and likely to go into production.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
PVD Consultant - San Diego, California

Q. Dear All,

We have a 30 liter tank made of PP sheets; we use it for dark ruthenium electroplating. But our ruthenium electrolyte makes everything including our pp sheets black. How can we fix this problem? I hear there is a stabilizer salt but I don't know it. Hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks.

Jalal Jafari
- Isfahan, Iran

Q. I'm looking to purchase a couple items made of Rhuthenium ^ Ruthenium. Should I be concerned of the toxicity of the element?

Allen Schertz
- El Campo, Texas, USA

The editor's fave "coffee table book" for years now...
The Elements

A. Hi Allen. There is no material anywhere which nobody considers harmful, toxic, or allergenic :-)

But ruthenium (we corrected your spelling for better Googling) is a fairly widely used precious metal plating considered by most to not be toxic in any way.

Black Rhodium vs Black Ruthenium wear resistance

My fiancé bought me a black ruthenium plated ring, and the plating started to wear off in less than a day. After a week it was almost entirely gone. The shop said they had sold lots of them and it had never happened before, so it must be my skin. Do you think there is any validity to the argument that my skin can break down a metal as hard at this? They are getting it re-plated; I asked if I could have a thicker plate, or if they could try black Rhodium but they say there is only one thickness option with Ruthenium and that it's better than Rhodium.

I am also a student jeweler so I want to know for the future, what will last longer, black ruthenium or black rhodium? I see lots of posts about the colour, but none about durability.

Laura

Laura Gillings
- London, UK

A. Hi Laura,

Rhodium and ruthenium hardness are similar at ~800-1000 HV with excellent wear and corrosion resistance but rhodium price is almost 9 times of ruthenium.

The problem happened on you could due to too thin ruthenium deposit thickness, low ruthenium deposit purity, poor adhesion between ruthenium and underlying metal, too frequent wearing, etc.

David

David Shiu
David Shiu

Black color plating for jewelry

April 2, 2018 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I would like to know how to make it very deep black color for jewelry plating and not effect with skin and not have any allergic reaction.

Sittikorn Rakjai
Jewelry plating manufacture - Bangkok , Thailand

A. Hi Sittikorn. We added your inquiry to a related thread. Black ruthenium and black rhodium are your two plating choices, with the rhodium costing a lot more as David Shiu has advised. We are left with the question of whether the colors are up to your desire for a "very deep black color", and durable enough for the quality of jewelry you wish to offer.

Jim Treglio has advised that you may be able to get the desired color with a PVD process -- but these are usually only available and applicable for very high production requirements. What type of jewelry do you wish to color, and what is the production volume? Good luck.