"Rainbowing" and "Bluing" Stainless Steel

adv.  b&m finishers banner

(2000)

Q. I would like to get full details on the electrochemical process of coloring stainless steel. If anyone can give me details or suggest me the source to obtain this information, I would be very much obliged.

PRADEEP GOPALAN
- CHENNAI,TAMIL NADU,INDIA

(2000)

A. Hi Mr. Gopalan. I am a graduate student of Shiraz University. Me & my friend work on coloring of stainless steel. Before us, another graduate student of Shiraz University worked on this. She could give green, blue, black, brown and .... color on stainless steel. I can give you any information we have, if you give us any information you have about this.
WITH THE BEST REGARDS,

Ali Reza Eftekhary
Shiraz university - Shiraz-Fars-Iran

----
Ed. note: Hello Ali and other readers. In addition to this page, please see threads 1383, 16927, and 24520 for loads of info on this topic of anodizing/coloring of stainless steel if interested. But this forum is for publicly sharing whatever you wish to share, it's not a matchmaking service for private communications.

To minimize searching and offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined multiple threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

(2001)

Q. I am interested about steel coloring, I would like someone to help me how to get the information about this including the process and chemicals needed.Thank you

Musdinoviria
- Banyuwangi, East Java, Indonesia

(2003)

A. Electrolytic colour for SS(Ni/Cr 18/8):

H2SO4........1 lit
Na2Cr2O7......7,5 gm
70-95 °C,
0,06 A/dm2,
1,3V,
object = anode, cathode = lead

Colour sequence:brown-blue-yellow-reddish brown-purple-green.

Budija, Goran

(2004)

Q. This is very helpful but what strength sulfuric acid? More details if you could please. Thanks.

Frank Gyuru
- Clearwater, Florida, USA

(2005)

A. You must use 1,24 g/cm3 (density) sulphuric acid! Today I think that alkaline process is better solution, and it is RoHS-compliant:

NaOH.....700 gm
KMnO4....10 gm
Na2S.....1 gm
H2O......1 lit
temperature 110-120 °C
20 V

Colour sequence: brown (3 minutes) - purple (40 minutes) - black (60 minutes)
According to Dettner/Elze :Handbuch der Galvanotechnik

- Zagreb,Croatia

Q. Goran, in the coloring of stainless steel that you described I would like to know what type of cathode you are using.
I am experiencing some problems using a lead cathode; it seems to be degrading during the anodizing process.

Ben Krafcik
- Cleveland Ohio

"Blue Ion" Plating

(2001)

Q. I am in the medical industry and am looking for a surface finish for 316L SS resulting in a light purple or blue color. Finish must be able to stand up to high heat and moisture when being sterilized in an autoclave. Because of high use, it should not scratch easily. I have heard the term "blue ion plating" on SS, but have not had any success finding additional information. Thanks in advance for the help.

John Koontz
- Irvine, California, USA

(2001)

A. I haven't heard of "blue ion plating" either. But sometimes these terms are just slang, or perhaps trade names not meaning an awful lot. I never forgot the TV commercials from my childhood warning me that no other toothpaste but Gleem offered GL-70 :-)

(2003)

Q. My hobby is modifying and customizing pocket knives for my personal use. The blades are typically stainless steel of various types. I would like to know how to "color" stainless steel as one would "blue" gun metal. Another interesting effect I've seen is giving the SS rainbow hues. It would be great to find out how I can do that. Will these same processes work on titanium and aluminum?

Thanks for your help,

Ed Acunzo
- New Orleans, Louisiana

(2004)

Q. Hi, I am on the lookout for bluing stainless steel. We manufacture mugs, and are looking for the variety that could be provided by color on the metal. Since it's a product of everyday use, I am looking for something that would be permanent and resistant to washing and scrubbing, and very importantly non-toxic. Thanks for the help.

Rishi Jain
- Bombay, India

(2004)
Hello Ed,
Black oxiding of stainless steel is done industrially in a fashion very similar to black oxiding of steel, but with modified proprietary chemistry. If you know how to do black oxiding you could experiment on the stainless. Note that black oxiding is very dangerous because it involves strong caustic solutions at 270 °F. When water (which flashes to steam at 212 deg) is added to make good evaporation losses, there is a great potential for the solution to virtually explode.

Rainbow coloring of stainless steel can be done by a proprietary process called "Prismatic Finishing".

Although titanium and aluminum can also be anodized, the processes are very different. The coloring in titanium anodizing is due to the formation of thin refractive films, but colors are applied to anodized aluminum with dyes.

Hello Jain,
Black oxide / bluing would be inappropriate for this application. The above-mentioned Prismatic anodizing might be appropriate though. Good luck.

How to Anodize Stainless Steel Green

(2004)

Q. I have stainless steel parts for my car, and I would like to know what I need to do to anodize them green.

T. Schrader
student - Camanche, Iowa

(2004)

? You're sure they're stainless? While it is fairly common for hobbyists to anodize aluminum, I don't know of hobbyists anodizing stainless steel. I do know of proprietary processes for anodizing stainless steel though.

(2006)

A. Yes you can

SS colour anodizing(only for 18/8 SS):
1 lit sulphuric acid
7,5 gm sodium bichromate
object=anode,cathode= lead
70-95 °C temp.,0,06 A/dm2, 1,3 V
Colour sequence brown - blue - yellow - reddish brown - purple - green.

----- I take no credit for this info I got it off another post on this site -------

Craig M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Bessemer, Alabama

! Thanks, Craig; this in turn came from Dettner & Elze: "Handbuch der Galvanotechnik". But hobbyists should note that sodium bichromate (sodium dichromate) is hexavalent chromium -- the toxic and carcinogenic material that made "Erin Brockovich" [link is to movie info at Amazon] a household name; we don't know what cautions if any are included in the handbook.

Goran is exceptionally knowledgable and always very helpful; but he is an accomplished professional metals conservator, and trying to do your own home-brew like he is able to do may not be for everyone. For those who may be looking for a commercially available process for coloring stainless steel, from a shop with long experience in it, you can try finishing.com's supporting advertiser B&M Finishers [Kenilworth, NJ]; they call the process "Prismatic Finishing". Good luck.

Q. Craig, can you tell me how much % sulphuric acid to have? Is it 98%? BTW, sorry for my English.

Luck Ancypo
- Sokolka Poland

A. Hi, Luck.

We've now combined several threads including one where Goran Budija notes that the H2SO4 is 1.24 gr/cm3, i.e., about 28% (about the strength of battery acid).

Q. Aircraft seat buckles. Hi is it possible to anodize 2 different metals at the same time, i.e., aluminium and chromed steel

Rog Comber
hobby - England

A. Hi, Rog. I'm not clear whether you are speaking of anodizing stainless steel (with chromium in its composition) or chrome plating of steel. But, sorry, neither can be done in combination with anodizing of aluminum. You must do the processes before assembly.

Q. We are looking for recommendations on the most robust method of treating/coating a stainless steel sculpture to withstand outdoor exposure. Hopefully we could get multiple colors, not just black. However black is also needed.

Mark Lueker
builder - Loveland, Colorado, USA

Q. Anyone know how to do peacock blue on SS parts?

Younas Bajwa
dental parts mfg - Chicago, Illinois, USA

Q. What process will Color Stainless Steel Screws Gold in color?

Jerry Siegel
Manufacturer - Los Angeles, California

A. It's pretty common to coat stainless steel screws with titanium nitride to get the gold color. Cathodic arc deposition works best. You get the best adhesion with the arc and superior part coverage. The coating is thin enough that it will not affect the screws' performance, and in most cases it will improve it.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
PVD Consultant - San Diego, California

A. Jerry,

We have not paid much attention to this technology for a long time, since the most obvious way to color stainless steel is to use hazardous chemicals. However due to massive requests to find the bio-acceptable electrolytes and eco-friendly process to color-code medical stainless steel surgical instruments, we have decided to dedicate some time to research and experiments. See attached pics - our results.

Contact us for more information.

56968_1 56968_2 56968_3 56968_4 56968_5

anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Labs
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
russamer labs banner

A. Probably the simplest way is just to use heat. It takes a bit of practice, but small objects can be heat colored with a simple propane torch. Larger objects can be run through an oven. It is most important to ensure that the surface is clean.

I hope this helps.

Justin Kumpf
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

7276

! I am cutting a logo out of stainless steel. The logo has several colors in the original. This is made of fabric; but I am reproducing it in stainless steel (red, blue, gold, white).

john liptrot
- napa, California U.S.A.

thumbs up signHi John. Please send us a photo of the stainless steel logo when you finish it. Any idea how you are going to achieve white and gold, other than paint? (I don't see gold in the fabric logo).

Rainbow Stainless Steel

June 27, 2018 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Please help me and explain How to Colour Stainless Steel using Chemical Process?

Thank You.

21437

Best Regards,

Andhi Santosa
Hobbyist - Indonesia

A. Hi Andhi. This thread, along with 1383, 16927, and 24520 cover it pretty exhaustively. Good luck!