The world's most popular metal finishing site, and striving to be the internet's friendliest corner

PVD gold color matching

2002

Q. I am going through the exercise of looking at a PVD coating to replace our gold plated plastic components. I have had samples coated but the colour does not match our existing gold colour which is a 24K (orange gold). The PVD coating is a lot browner and I am told by the supplier that this is the best colour match that can be expected. I need to know if it is possible to change the colour of gold PVD coatings by changing the process parameters or whether you are limited to a set range of colors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Tim Strickland
- Auckland, New Zealand

A. Your supplier is not correct. It is possible to vary deposition parameters to obtain a very wide range of gold shades.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
PVD Consultant - San Diego, California

A. I have never seen anyone exactly match 24K gold. The luster L* of the nitrides is not right so they don't have the "softness" of 24K gold. Typical values are for TiN, color is golden yellow (L* = 77-80, a* = 2-5 and b* = 33-37) for 24k gold color is gold (L* = 88-91, a*=(-3.7)-1, and b* = 27-34).

Hope this helps.

Donald M. Mattox
Society of Vacuum Coaters
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Ed. note:
            Mr. Mattox is
            the author of -->

A. If the colour is brown, you may try different Vacuum or Bias volts. Sometime I found Ti target from different souces could make different TiN coulour. I have never try on plastic substrates, but have done a lot on metal substrates. There are too many different parameteres you could try, like Vacuum, Bias, time etc.

Danpei Ji
- Melbourne, australia

24 carat gold color PVD TiN?

We've been using Ti cathode arc targets with N2 gas to produce decorative gold TiN coatings. However, they always come out a sort of pale 16-18 carat gold colour. We would really like to get a richer 22-24 carat gold colour. We know it's possible because our competitors have managed it.

The substrate is a 90% tungsten alloy. Coating time is around 4-5 minutes at roughly 200 degrees C.

Cheers.

Ben O'Shea
- Katikati, New Zealand