Plating Vanadium

(2001)

I want to make a superconducting shield for low-T application. Is there any technique to plate with Vanadium? Nb is better, but as far as I see it is almost impossible to plate with. And my last choice is lead. It is good as superconductor, but oxidizes and very soft. So, any clue were to look on vanadium plating? I would really appreciate any advice.

Vladimir Shvarts
- Gainesville, Florida

(2001)

You should be able to vacuum deposit niobium or vanadium without much trouble. You can sputter, e-beam evaporate, or cathodic arc both metals, though I would guess that vanadium is somewhat easier than niobium.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
- Vista, California

(2001)

I have successfully plated Vanadium using Vanadyl sulfate at about .1M and the you can use Boric acid as the buffer or Na acetate. The plating works best at a pH of 5-5.6. You might have to play around with it in a hull cell to find the right amps per square foot, you can also add Na sulfate to increase the conductivity. I use about 11g/L. This bath gives a very shiny finish.

Jonathan Hughes
- Tukwila, Washington, USA