23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Electrodeposit Vanadium, Plating with Vanadium

A discussion started in 2001.
Add your Q. or A. to restore it to the "Current Topics" discussions.

(2001)

Q. I want to make a superconducting shield for low-T application. Is there any technique to plate with Vanadium? Nb is better, but as far as I see it is almost impossible to plate with. And my last choice is lead. It is good as superconductor, but oxidizes and very soft. So, any clue where to look on vanadium plating? I would really appreciate any advice.

Vladimir Shvarts
- Gainesville, Florida

----
Ed. note-- Readers: regarding deposition of niobium rather than vanadium, please see thread 0098 "Electroplating with Niobium", thread 3983 "What Process for Niobium Coating?", and thread 20966 "Niobium Plating".

Vanadium Compounds: Chemistry, Biochemistry ...

(2001)

A. You should be able to vacuum deposit niobium or vanadium without much trouble. You can sputter, e-beam evaporate, or cathodic arc both metals, though I would guess that vanadium is somewhat easier than niobium.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
PVD Consultant - San Diego, California

(2001)

A. I have successfully plated Vanadium using Vanadyl sulfate at about .1M and you can use Boric acid as the buffer or Na acetate. The plating works best at a pH of 5-5.6. You might have to play around with it in a Hull Cell to find the right amps per square foot, you can also add Na sulfate to increase the conductivity. I use about 11 g/L. This bath gives a very shiny finish.

Jonathan Hughes
- Tukwila, Washington, USA