Solvent for Teflon?

(2001)

I need to remove Teflon from a part that I need to plate. Preferably chemically. Anybody knows of a solvent that dissolves Teflon?

Mark Camilleri
- Malta

(2001)

A. Mark,

To be precise, blunt, concise, very brief ... in short, the answer is NO.

I guess you have two options, neither of which you'd love. l) Burn it off ... but that means pretty high heat and some nasty fumes (wear mask) or 2)grind it off. Mind you, I guess you could use a molten alkali ... there being very, very few chemicals that will attack Teflon and those would probably destroy your part anyhow!

Cheers!

(2001)

A. There is another alternative. I have successfully removed Teflon coatings with glass bead blasting. I used #9 glass bead and usually a pressure of less than 30 psi will remove the Teflon. Some PTFE resins are tougher than other and other factors come into play such as whether or not the Teflon was baked, cure temperature, PTFE type, etc. In most circumstances this can be done without harming the substrate.

Daryl Spindler
- Nashville, Tennessee

(2001)

A. Phenol can do the job, look also for www.quadesl.org/home/origcoat.html [Ed. note: that link/URL is no longer functional]. When it is the solution I like to hear it from you.

With friendly greetings,

Henk Smit
- Holland

(2001)

A. A molten salt bath system (Kolene - registered trade name) will remove most organic based coatings including Teflon from metal parts.

Mike Gyokeres
- Warren, Michigan, USA

(2001)

A. I read with interest the responses offering suggestions for removing Teflon from parts & thought that I could possibly offer some assistance. I have been in the High Performance Engineering Plastics industry for 20+ years with a primary focus on Engineering & design of application solutions. I am not sure if you can handle these chemicals in your process but here are some suggestions:
"Teflon" fluorocarbons resins are essentially chemically inert. Up to the respective upper use temperatures (500 °F. for PTFE; 400 °F for FEP) only very few chemicals are known to chemically react with these resins, i.e., molten alkali metals, turbulent liquid or gaseous fluorine and a few fluoro-chemicals, such as chlorine tri-fluoride ClF3 or oxygen difluoride, OF2, which readily liberate free fluorine at elevated temperatures.

Jody Walker
plastics company - Orchard Park, New York

(2004)

A. Dear Mark,
It is very difficult to dissolve Teflon by solvents but can be etched out from the required part keeping the other part unaffected. But at first I want to know, what type of plate you want to mean; whether it is a metal surface or a fiber glass surface. Let me know about this, so I can suggest the procedure.

Dibyendu Prakash Mondal
- Kharagpur, West Bengal, India

(2005)

A. Commercially Teflon is etched by "free" electrons liberated by sodium in liquid ammonia. While this is more convenient than the elevated temperatures required by alkali metals alone, the process could probably be improved further by using primary or secondary aliphatic (not aromatic) amines that are liquid at room temperature or slightly higher allowing for the very exothermic reaction.

George Franklin
- Washinton DC, USA

Q. We have requirement of adhesive to bond Teflon sheet with metal pipe. Before that we have to do sodium etching treatment in the sheet. Kindly advise the suitable chemicals to do that.

FYI Skived Teflon sheet coated with PTFE, Polytetrafluoroethylene

Satheesh Kumar
- Tirupur, Tamilnadu, India

Q. Which is best solvent for Teflon; I need it in paste solution form.

MUHAMMAD SHAFA
- Islamabad, PAKISTAN

Hi cousin Muhammad. Based on the 7 answers already provided, I'd say there is no chance at all of finding a solvent for Teflon in paste form. Please try your best to phrase your inquiry in terms of the answers already offered. Thanks!