What is Sherardizing?

(2001)

Q. Hello

Will any body help me please? I have been waiting for a reply but none have been forthcoming!

I am an engineering student of north lindsey college England and am currently doing an assignment on corrosion of metals and the treatments that prevent these corrosions! The name of sherardizing has cropped up and I am wondering where I can find information on this process as I am currently unable to find an amount of quality information!

Daniel Mawbey
Student - Goole, England

(2001)

A. I am also a motor engineering student in Devon. I have found a bit of info on sherardizing. Sherardizing is a diffusion process in which articles are heated in the presence of zinc dust. The process is normally carried out in a slowly rotating closed container at temperatures ranging from 320-500 °C Hope this helps.

Matthew Davis
- Newton, Abbot

(2001)

Q. What is sherardizing?

Tim Cook
- Scunthorpe, England

sidebar

A. It is apparently a finishing process that nobody but the British are interested in :-)

Bravo, Ted.. that was too damned funny!

anodizer - Boise, Idaho

(1998)

Q. I'm looking for a book related to the Sherardizing process and I didn't find any specific book in your finishing.com page. Could you help me to find some good ones?

Thanks in advance,
Truly yours

Arturo Casanova
- Mexico

A. Hi Arturo. The March 2004 edition of Metal Finishing Magazine contains an article by Dr. Benu Chatterjee on sherardizing, page 40. There are a number of used and inexpensive books about Sherardizing at this link at Amazonhttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=finishingcominc&l=ur2&o=1" WIDTH=1 HEIGHT=1 BORDER=0 ALIGN=bottom style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />.

(2002)

A. Sherardising, it is called. I work in a small company that sherardizes. It is a method not known very well. In 1901 Sherard Cooper founded this method in England. You put metal products, sand and zinc dust in a closed iron box. This box you put in an oven an heat it until about 410 °C. At about 380 °C. the zinc dust will melt into/onto the metal products that has to be sherardized. This method has a lot of positive things. It is better harmed to corrosion, salt spray test results are better than galvanized. In Europe only a few companies use this method. In The Netherlands one, Germany one, France two and England two or three companies. In other countries, I don't know. In US, I don't know.

Leon Kloor
- Helmond, The Netherlands

thumbs up signMy Great great Grandpa, or something, invented Sherardizing.

He was an Inventor!

Bye Love Minna

Minna Cowper-Coles
- England

The surface finishing industry hopes you will be following in his footsteps, Minna.smiley

(2002)

Q. Leon,

I was interested in your response. I work for a small company in Australia that uses sherardising for chain components and railway clips. There is not a lot that I can find out about the subject apart from information in British and Dutch standards. One of the things that I'm interested in is the type of sand used (material, size, etc.) Can you tell me what type of sand is used and why?

Karl Keesman
- Blackburn, Victoria, Australia

(2003)

A. Up to my knowledge sand is used for distribution of heat. Some two thirds of the drum have to be filled by steel or sand.

Q. Who knows something about physical basics as diffusion coefficients or metallurgic analysis of the layer. Thanks for answering.

norbert seyfert
Dr. Norbert Seyfert
surface development - Olpe, Germany

(2006)

A. Sherardizing

The process of Sherardizing was founded in the early 20TH century by a gentleman whose name was Sherard Cowper-Coles.

Whilst conducting annealing trials on iron he decided to experiment by putting ZINC powder in with the iron and found that on elevated temperatures (below that of Sub Critical Annealing 723 Degs as stated by the Fe / C equilibrium diagram) a layer of diffused Zinc was formed.

With the inevitable refinement of the process Sherard commercialised the process to the extent that the Sherardizing process was born.

The main applicator of the process in the UK was a company called Zinc Alloy (clever name; as the process is the alloying of Zinc by diffusion into the base metal e.g., steel)

Zinc Alloy quickly cornered the market by offering the process in the Midlands (Wolverhampton) The North (Rochdale) and South Wales (Caerphilly) Only the Wolverhampton site still carries out the process which is now called Bodycote (surprise surprise!)

The process is eminently suitable to corrosion protecting mass produced parts and its precise coating uniformity makes it an ideal coating where Galvanizing cannot be used for fear of coating build up destroying tolerances not to mention that in the case of nuts and bolts you have to remove the galv from the nut after the process for the bolt to fit!

If you would like more info on the process do not contact as I know nothing!

Philip Stokes
- Birmingham, UK

(2007)

A. FYI: since the sherardizing process was invented there were some very significant advances in the field. Today the process is creating a very hard surface (45-48 Rockwell hardness), together with extremely corrosion resistant coating. In the past it was not economical due to the loose of energy because of the sand used in the process. However, today the available systems are very economical (250 KW/1 metric ton) as they do not use sand in the process.

Dorian Shifman
- Scarsdale, New York

(2008)

A. Sherardising is coming to Elk Grove. We have a lot of data on this "vapor" deposition process. Dorian is right - sand is out.

Martin Straus
- Elk Grove Village, Illinois

(1998) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Dear Sirs:

I am looking for information on the Sherardizing process on finished machine parts. Please advise.

Sincerely

Gerald W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Carrollton Georgia

(1998)

Hi, Gerald. As you see, we appended your inquiry to a thread which hopefully partially answers your questions.

Sherardizing is still an unusual process in the USA although it's apparently fairly common in England. Distek NA in Elk Grove Village, Illinois is a supplier.

(2004) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am trying to find more than the basic outline of how sherardizing is done. We don't want to do sherardizing, but I just want to understand how it works and if there's any part that may improve our process.

Michael Ball
plating shop - Sittingbounre, Kent, UK

(2003)

A. You could see British standard BS 4921:1988 "Specification for sherardized coatings on iron or steel" or BS 7371 -8:1998 "Coatings on metal fasteners. Specification for sherardized coatings". Good luck.

(2004)

A. Michael,

Why don't you try contacting the Bodycote group (formerly Zinc Alloys). I know their Wolverhampton site conducts this process.

Nigel D Gill, B.Sc. MIMF AIEMA MRSC
- Glasgow Scotland

A. In the 1970's I visited the UK to investigate 'Sherardizing'---it's appeal to me was that a corrosive resistant coating could be applied dry thus not creating a polluting waste water 'run off'---

The use of Silica Sand in the process acted as a carrier for the zinc powder--so I was told at the time.

I found that the lack of acceptance of the finish on parts processed this way in the U.S. was the appearance----we Americans like things 'bright and shiny' not the dull grey that is left after Sherardizing! -- hot zinc gives us that attractive finish!!

Cy Marsden
- Milwaukie, Oregon, USA

Threads on similar topics include:
- Letter 4917, "Sherardising: What is it? What are the important parameters?"
- Letter 18257, "What is Distek / DiAv-93 / Unstain 1500 Thermodiffusion Sherardizing"