Seeking Sprayable Iridescent Paint

(2001)

Q. To whom it may Concern,

I am looking for an iridescent paint to paint on metal. I am not faring too well with a spot to start. I have contacted some of the powder paint suppliers and they don't have what I want. I need to be able to spray this on with an air gun.

Please respond back to me as I would love to try some of this out or find a supplier that would carry this paint.

Mert W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Praire du Chien Wisconsin

(2001)

A. Dear Mert,

One good way to achieve an iridescent look would be to topcoat with a clear lacquer and put lots of thinner in the mix. This will cause the rainbow effect you are looking. If you are looking for a metallic coating to achieve this effect, you can take a look at our website, then contact us via email or call us. Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad

(2001)

A. There is a type of paint called Chroma-lusion (Dupont), Kameleon [linked by editor to product info on Amazon] and others (PPG, Sherwin Williams). It changes through five different colors and they have about 60 different combinations. cost is about $40/2 oz. Any automotive paint supplier should carry it. Has to be seen in person to get the full effect.

One manufacture supplies the plates to all the paint makers.

David D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Rochester New York USA

House of Kolor Kandy Red

(2002)

A. Try House of Kolor =>

I'm not sure what you mean by iridescent but these people will have it. Good Luck, --Tony

tony thomas
- Spring Green, Wisconsin USA

A. There is a company which specializes in very colorful car paint. It has a line of sprays in all sorts of dichroic colors. A sample kit is around $100. Their name is Alsa Corp.

Anne Y [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Bellows Falls, Vermont

(2007)

Q. I'm working on a project for my chemistry I, and The title for it is "How Does Iridescent Paint Work?" I've looked up on many different websites and was hoping that you would be able to help me out! Thank you so much!

C-C L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Madison, Wisconsin, Dane County

Carnival Glass: The Best of the Best

(2007)

A. I can't speak for a given manufacturer about how their paint works, C-C, but Jake has told you how it is generally achieved (very thin layer of clear coat lacquer), and I can point you to info about the general principle of iridescence -- which applies to oil sheen on water, the rainbow colors reflected off a CD or DVD, the funny pink-green-purple colors you see in some new automotive headlights, and the many other cases where you see rainbow like reflections.

Iridescence is also seen in carnival glass. Good luck.

Iridescent Effects

A. They add pearl dust to paint to get the effect.

Ryan Turcot
- Ashcroft, BC, Canada

A. Another manufacturer for special effect paints, especially dichroic effect is Stardust Colors SAS, St. Laurent, France, stardustcolors.co.uk
They propose a few dichroic effects:
- prismatic (create a rainbow reflection), available in particles size from 200µ to 12µm (that is the size of a blood cell)
- chameleon paints (creating color changing effects - from 2 to 5 colors) depending on the angle of view

PEREZ GUILLAUME
ARCO IRIS - ST LAURENT, FRANCE