Turning Bras Dark

(2001)

How can I turn polished bras dark and still be shiny?

Dick Clayborne
- Lexington, Kentucky

(2001)

We'll see what we can do if you send Claudia Schiffer by in her shiny, Victoria Secret million-dollar, diamond-studded ... oh ... never mind, I now see that there's a typo there ...

For simple darkening try liver of sulphur or brass darkening solution. For more exotic reds and greens, etc., try to buy or borrow from the library "Colouring, Bronzing & Patination of Metals" [link is to product info at Amazon] as it will give you the exact techniques to get exactly what you seek, and even has hundreds of color plates so you can see what you'll get.

(2001)

We have a highly visible company sign with the word "brass" on it spelled out in huge neon traced letters. We get a chuckle sometimes, when the last "s" does not light up at night, and we advertise "copper bras". Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I do know there are many formulations commercially available to blacken copper metals, I just have never tried them, myself.

Good Luck.

W. Carl Erickson
- Rome, New York