Seeking Gold Plated Flatware

(2001)

Q. I have been looking for 24K gold plated flatware. It seems to be in short supply. I have service for nine, International Stainless, 24K gold plated that was purchased at the old May Company in 1985 that I would like to add to. However, I do not know that pattern name.

At this point, I would like to purchase any gold flatware to add to my set (I have seen gold/silver combinations which would not be compatible).

Please let me know if it is possible to find good quality 24K gold plated flatware in various patterns. They seem to be in short supply. Thanks for any help!

Joan H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Kirtland, Ohio
outdated

Yamazaki flatware

A. Hi Joan. This public forum handles only the technical aspects of metal finishing. Sorry but we can't be a free Ebay, or a Craigslist because our server would be overloaded overnight :-)

But we have posted your inquiry in order to discuss the technical aspects, which include the fact that any Sterling or silver plate can easily be gold plated by a plating shop that offers gold plating. So any pattern you find will be doable. Stainless steel flatware can be gold plated, too, although that's a bit more challenging. Good luck.

(2001)

A. I just purchased a place setting for 8 with extra pieces from Faberware, it is very pretty gold plated flatware and very reasonable, it also came in a mahogany tray with a velvet cover, I can't wait to use it on my Christmas table this year. You might want to check with Faberware to see if they have a design that would suit your purpose.

nancyB
Nancy B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Las Vegas, Nevada

Q. I would like to purchase a set of gold flatware to highlight a set of china that I recently was given as a gift.

What is the difference between 24-karat gold, gold plated, gold electroplated and gold tone on bronze. I also see unspecified gold flatware without mention of any materials i.e. stainless 18/10 etc. being advertised as being made artisan-made in Italy. On line pricing does not seem to vary significantly between the above types.

I have modest means but would likely be using the flatware regularly. What do you recommend I purchase? Any other advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Karen H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Retail Purchase - Detroit, Michigan

A. Hi Karen. I doubt that any flatware is actually solid 24-karat gold. They probably mean plated with 24-karat gold. Gold plated and gold electroplated are the same thing, and all of the plating is probably 24-karat gold. All except the "gold tone", which probably isn't real gold, but some kind of bronze or PVD coating. The gold plating must be hand washed and will wear off depending on how thick it is. If some lists a specific thickness, it's probably thicker than the others and will last longer. Good luck.