Copper pyrophosphate plating bath Q&A's

Current efficiency of copper pyrophosphate plating

(2000)

Q. I have a question regarding current efficiency of copper pyrophosphate bath. From literature, the efficiency should be 100%. I got a commercial bath and tried to measure its current efficiency using a pre-weighed copper foil. The c.d. was 20 mA/cm2. The temp of the bath was 50 °C. From the weight difference before and after plating, the calculated efficiency was only 74%. If this number were true, I would see bubbles out from the cathode. I did several tests and got same results. I can not figure out what the problem is. I also tested the current efficiency of one commercial acid copper bath using the same method. The result was close 100%. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark Chang
- Torrance, California, USA

(2004)

A. 74% is actually pretty good for Pyro.

"Current efficiency" includes two terms. Anode efficiency and Cathode efficiency. Instead of Hydrogen at the cathode you may see Oxygen at the anode.

For good operation you should see neither.

In many solutions (Electroless Copper comes to mind) gases like Hydrogen can bump around in solution for a while before bubbles begin to form.

John Eddy
PWBs - Alberta Canada

A. We, too, have recently checked the cathode efficiency of a pyrophosphate copper bath, and found it to be close to 80%. We are also noticing an increase in the specific gravity of the solution, that may indicate that the copper concentration in it is rising due to the difference between the anode (presumably 100%) and cathode efficiencies.

berl stein
berl sig
"PlaterB" Berl Stein
NiCoForm, Inc.
Rochester, New York

nicoform

(2005)

RFQ: I would need to know the name/web-site of copper pyrophosphate manufacturers in Europe /USA

Tassanee Na Ranong
- Bangkok, Thailand
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

Copper pyrophosphate or non-cyanide copper as heat treatment maskant

(2003)

Q. I am looking for information about non-cyanide copper plating for use as a heat treat maskant and / or info on a an alternative non-hazardous maskant for heat treat applications (i.e., selective carburization, nitriding). Anyone who can help or point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Haataja
helicopters - Haltom City, Texas

(2003)

A. Copper pyrophosphate proprietary baths are probably the only cyanide-free approach.

Finishing.com's supporting advertisers EPI (Electrochemical Products Inc.) [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] and Zinex are two suppliers.

(2003)

A. Pyrophosphate copper :
copper pyrophosphate.......... 110 gm
potassium pyrophosphate...... 400 gm
citric acid.................. 10 gm
water........................1 lit
pH 8,5 -temp.50 C, 5 A/dm2

Tartaric copper (19.century):
add copper carbonate to solution of potassium tartrate( 100 gm/lit.water), until some carbonate remained undissolved,then add potassium carbonate to pH 10

(2003)

A. A variety of alkaline non-cyanide copper baths are available from suppliers. Each manufacturer has baths with different properties in plating or waste treatment. Pyrophosphate baths are outdated technology unless you are trying for a "home brew".

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

(2004)

A. You can use ceramic or enamel coating [as heat treatment maskant].

Cair Shishani
Cair Shishani
aircraft maintenance - Al Ain, United Arab Emirates

How to remove iron from copper pyrophosphate plating bath

Q. How do I go about removing iron from a copper pyro electroplating bath?

Kory Rodenhiser
- Bridgewater,NS, Canada

A. I don't think that there is a practical method to remove iron from a copper pyrophosphate bath. In many years of involvement with copper pyro I can't recall a problem cause by iron. Except that it is important to allow sufficient potassium pyrophosphate to complex the iron as well as the copper. Think in terms of total metal: pyrophosphate rather than just copper.

May I ask what problems you have?

harry_parkes
Harry Parkes
- Birmingham, UK