-----

"Chrome my alloy wheels"

2000

RFQ: Have you found anybody for your Chroming of your Aluminum Parts as I am myself looking for someone that can Chrome My Alloy wheels. With the UK weather the alloy gets damaged. Your response is greatly appreciated.

Thomas Breant
- Bracknell, Berkshire
^

^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

2002

RFQ: I am also looking for someone to chrome my alloys (18") a question for anyone else reading this, why can I get them done by 20 or so firms in the states but talk to anyone here and they run a mile?

Peter Dixon
- Hertfordshire, England
^

^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

2002

A. Probably they run because they are not set up to strip and replate what are relatively large size parts for some plating operations, or, they are set up for industrial accounts, and the setup charges for short runs, they know, will be balked at by most consumers. Or, they have had trouble with the corrosion and pitting of the base metal, which makes it difficult to re-plate to a high polish.

The firms who replate old parts successfully often plate with copper, then polish the copper to fill in pitting and corrosion to a mirror finish, then they plate the required nickel and chrome to finish the part.

tom & pooky   toms signature
^

2004

RFQ: I would like to get my aluminum alloy wheels chromed, does anyone know a place that does this in the Pittsburgh, PA area? And roughly how much it would be for all 4 wheels?

Eric B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
engineering - Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

A. Hi, folks.

I don't think it's true that you can find lots of shops in the USA to rechrome alloy wheels anymore. Not only have about half been closed, but back when we had "chrome reverse wheels", which were steel, it was different. Even when we had aluminum wheels made from billet aluminum it was a bit different. It is exceptionally difficult to reliably electroplate pressure cast aluminum alloy wheels, due to their elaborate shape, the need for a zincate immersion plating layer on aluminum, and all the "garbage" in castings. We have numerous threads on here with people complaining about the chrome peeling from their alloy wheels (threads/topics 29693, 48729, 35945 have pictures).

The labor involved in manually handling a couple of wheels, and fabricating auxiliary anodes and racks for each different style is prohibitive. I think you will find that, because of this labor, the cost of having your wheels rechromed will be more than replacements, where they are plated dozens at a time with minimal labor. Sorry, and good luck.

^