Repair pot metal car parts and trim

(2001)

Q. I have a pot metal part from the mechanism of a 57 Plymouth Convertible that has a portion (An Ear) broke off. I need to repair it and think that a "Heat Cure Epoxy" called ESP 309 referred to by Randy Palmer in letter 3781 will do what I need. Where can I get this product?

Len Zimmerer
- Bedford, Texas

(2002)

J.B. Weld

A. Simply use an epoxy thats used in repairing aluminum evaporator coils in refrigeration work, then spray with Krylon Brass Metallic Paint [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], let dry one hour. Then copper plate and finish as usual.

Philip Camp
- Phenix City, Alabama

(2004) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Is there a glue or something I can glue aluminum with?

Ed Bass
- Norridge, Illinois, USA

Q. I am restoring a 1966 Nova/Chevy II (SS) which has a heavy piece of trim molding across the back of the trunk. Mine has a small dent in it about 3" in diameter.

My question is; Can the trim molding from a vehicle trunk be bumped out? The dent is on the detailed face of the trim (very fine lines on surface of this trim and the outside of the part is chromed)

I wonder if the metal will break if it's hammered lightly with body hammer, dollie or a dent tool? The part is very expensive to replace and I don't want to make it worse.

Dented truck lid trim-1  Dented truck lid trim-2  Dented truck lid trim-3

If bumping out the dent will not work. Do you have any suggestion for the repair?

Joe

Joe Malott
hobby restoring my car - Pembroke Pines, Florida

A. Hi Joe. I would not attempt to hammer potmetal (die castings). But good restorers can solder/braze such defects before replating if you were intending to do that.

Topic 3781 and topic 45895 are about repairing diecastings for re-plating.

Are you sure this is potmetal, not sheet metal (which does dent)? 5-foot long die castings aren't widely used to my knowledge.

A. The pictures are not clear enough to determine the base metal or the finish. From what I can see, I think the panel may be anodized aluminum and the center a type of textured silver paint.
If the center of the panel is a type of textured silver paint it can probably be filled and repainted regardless of the base metal. Straightening would not be recommended since the metal is stretched at the dent site and will begin to wander as it is being pressed or hammered out. Thus causing warping and improper fitting. if the piece is pot-metal it will crack all over if you try to straighten it.
If it were my car I would try to find a replacement and live with the dent while searching. I have over 35 years experience doing custom chrome plating and have run across this kind of situation many times. The results in trying to do this kind of repair have always been much more expensive and disappointing than replacing.

Frank DeGuire
- St. Louis, Missouri, USA