Endurion Coating on Steel

An ongoing discussion from 2000 through 2015 . . .

(2000)

Q. What is an "Endurion" coating? Where can I get information?

Jordi Pujol
- Barcelona, Spain

(2000)

A. Endurion is a tin salt process applied to heavy weight zinc phosphate coatings to increase their thickness and corrosion resistance. It was applied at the boil and deposited a whitish coating which could be sealed with dyes and waxes.

Back in the 60's it was sold in the UK by Pyrene Chemical Services, which became Brent and now is part of Chemetall [a finishing.com supporting advertiser]. Try the latter if still available.

Roger Bridger
- Croydon, UK

(2000)

Uh, okay, but the Metal Finishing Guidebook claims LeaJackson is the trademark holder for the name "Endurion".

I certainly concur that it is a step in a process for heavy phosphate coatings, and you're probably right that it is a tin salt. A couple of decades ago the plating equipment supply company that I was with at the time installed numerous manganese phosphate / Endurion lines into automotive plants, where the coating was used as a break-in lubricant on moving parts.

(2001)

Q. What color is Endurion Coating suppose to be? I think black, but we are getting a purple powder that rubs off easily. The QC people where I work says that it is okay. The parts used to come in black and not rub off. Please HELP!

Mark Guilmett
- Somersworth, New Hampshire, USA

(2001)

A. Endurion is indeed a black finish. My company used to do zinc phosphate with the Endurion finish. The only time it was purple was if there was a problem with the phosphate coating. You might want to perform a coating thickness check.

Victor Waldman
- Naugatuck, Connecticut

To minimize searching and offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined multiple threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

Endurion Grey Coatings

(2001)

Q. I am looking for any who knows about Endurion and if it comes in grey!

Matt Knight
- St Louis, Missouri

(2001)

A. Now I'm curious. I've read a couple of times on this site that Endurion is black. But I could swear I remember it being gray.

(2001)

A. The only Endurion process I know of is a process applied after phosphating based on tin salts, it is a pewter grey color, the people supplying the chemistry are Jackson Lea.

Richard Guise
- Lowestoft, U.K.

Endurion Treatment

(2003)

Could anyone explain what is Phosphate and Endurion Treatment. I don't know what the Endurion Treatment is.

Your help would be much appreciated,

Keith Bailey
Brinksway Tools. - Manchester, England

(2003)

A. Endurion is a trade name for a proprietary manganese phosphate treatment process, which is often followed by an oil dip. An application I'm familiar with, which I believe is typical, is for moving parts (rubbing parts) in automobiles. The parts get the manganese phosphate coating and oil dipped before assembly so that when the automobile or other machine fires up you don't have a moment there where there is no lubrication between the rubbing surfaces.

(2003)

A. Endurion, is applied (by dip) after heavy zinc or manganese phosphate and partially converts the coating to a tin salt, and can be waxed, oiled etc., afterwards.

Richard Guise
- Lowestoft, U.K.

SEEKING ENDURION COATING

(2003)

RFQ: 200 pieces 3 1/2OD X 2 1/2 ID X 9 3/4 LONG TUBES NEED ENDURION COATING.

Harry [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
MACHINE SHOP - BRIDGEWATER, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2005)

Q. According to our knowledge, Endurion's Ultratech 500 is to be applied on zinc phosphate layer. Is Ultratech 500 compatible with manganese phosphate layers, too?

Dr. Joachim Holz
- Lindlar, Germany

(2007)

Q. I AM INTERESTED IN INFORMATION ON WHO MANUFACTURES ENDURION ZINC PHOSPHATE COATING MATERIALS.

JERRY RITTER
MANUFACTURER - ABERDEEN, NORTH CAROLINA, USA

Parkerizing Spec for international quoting of hydraulic pump gear

May 11, 2015 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am looking for direction in specifying a Parkerizing treatment of a hydraulic pump gear for the purpose of reduced wear and improved scuffing on start up. I have not used or specified this process before, but have seen and heard of it being used in this type of application. I will be quoting this with international suppliers and would like to describe the treatment in the most effective manner.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Gregg

Gregg Nader
Product Manager - Chester, Vermont USA

A. Hi Gregg. I think that in general you are probably looking for manganese phosphate coatings per MIL-DTL-16232 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil], but that to be more specific you should consider specifying Endurion tin salt treatment after the phosphatization. You can read why in "Evaluation of Manganese Phosphate Coatings" at
www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA139434