-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

Chemical to remove nickel plating from silver or brass jewelry without destroying the original surface

Metalx nickel stripper
... plus Cufix E Copper Stripper, TN-64 TiN Stripper
& Strippers for Tungsten Carbide in Cobalt Matrix

Q. What chemical would you recommend to remove bad & crater-filled Nickel plating from Silver or Brass jewelry without destroying the original surface?
Please advise as I have a peculiar problem with the crater developing on the surface of the jewelry...Also recommend any good books if any available on the subject matter or advice to make solutions in-house for plating......
Awaiting for your response...
best regards,

Prakash V Pai
Research - Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

ASM Metals Handbook
Vol. 5
Surface Engineering

A. Hi, cousin Prakesh.

There are various chemicals available for stripping of nickel, including cyanide-based chemicals, but most of them have serious safety and environmental issues. Some threads here cover stripping of nickel in detail; please use the search term "nickel strip" and "remove nickel" in the search engine at the top of the page.

Despite the universal desire to formulate solutions in-house for economy, professionals usually use proprietary strippers and nickel plating solutions because they're better. Further, it is difficult to learn to be a good plater without a hands-on teacher, proven plating solutions, and the technical assistance that comes with them.

Still, if you want to make your own nickel plating solutions, you can use old-fashioned non-proprietary additives, and the ASM Metals Handbook Vol. 5 explains it in good detail =>

Our "must-have" booklist includes reviews of many important plating handbooks, and I hope you find it useful. Good luck.

Ted Mooney,

September 7, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Will you please tell me the method to remove nickel plating from silver?

Ahmed Munir
engineering - Lahore, Pakistan

A. While I have not tried this I would expect that the proprietary strippers available from most suppliers based on MNBS in 5% sulphuric acid for stripping nickel off brass, would also work on stripping nickel from silver.

Geoffrey Whitelaw
Geoffrey Whitelaw
- Port Melbourne, Australia

A. Dear,
Proprietary chemicals are available at Bangalore at affordable price for removal of nickel from silver and brass.

Mani Bhat
- Bangalore, Karnataka ,India

Strippers are usually cheap products.

Vlad Manta
- Oradea, Romania

I want to strip nickel plating from Brass object.
Please suggest a chemical for stripping which should not be harmful like nitric acid, and which does not generate harmful fumes.
Please suggest me a product which will give me 100% result.
Please send me details.

atul shinde
B.l.electroplater - Airoli Navi Mumbai Maharashtra, India

Metalx nickel stripper

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy