Coating Plating Racks with insulating stop-off?

Q. I have a plating fixture made primarily out of Cu-Be sheet-spring metal and need to find a low-porosity durable dielectric coating that will prevent plating onto the fixture itself when used to plate the work-piece.

I have tried "Teflon-S" 2-mil powder coating but it peeled off and plated through. There are better and thicker Teflon coatings that are cured at up to 500 °C, but I am concerned about degrading the spring properties of the Cu-Be spring-metal.

I am considering having the fixture aluminum plated followed by anodization and teflon coating. I do not know how well this coating will work as an insulating layer on plating fixtures

Another idea is to simply coat the fixture with either thermal spray coated or CVD Ti - and rely on the "non-platability" of Ti

Please give me your insights on these options!

Doug Crafts
Technology Development - Milpitas, California, USA

A. The cheap way is to cover it with vinyl tape with a 50% overlap. This will get most of the fixture and is quick and a lot cheaper.

A do it yourself would be to coat it with a primer and then Super X_P 2000 from Pyramid Plastics, in Arkansas, a div of Michigan Chrome and Chemical.

Long term is to have it plastisol coated by a professional company. You can do it yourself if you have a low temp oven. There is a learning curve.

Last option is several coats of a proper stop off lacquer available from many companies.

A. Dear Brother,

Please use shrinkable sleeve on fixtures. This shrinkable sleeve gets shrunk at 125 °C. After shrinkage it will take shape of the base material. It is cheap too, you can change it again and again. These sleeves are used in electronic industries.

I am using these since last 8 months in Tri Nickel Chrome Plating Racks. This has reduced wastage as excess build up of Nickel on contact points. This has also eliminated Nickel plating peel-off issue.

Sanjeev Raman Parashar
- PUNE, Maharashtra, India

Liquid Rubber

Dura-Rubber

I'm also working on a plating fixture which uses a stainless spring material and I'm looking for a durable dielectric coating that will prevent plating onto the fixture too.

I've come across a few products like these:

Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant/Coating and Dura Rubber Liquid Rubber =>

Have anyone on this forum heard of using these types of products? I honestly don't know much about plating, and I wonder if these products would be compatible with the chemicals involved with electroplating in general?

JONATHAN SNOOK
LEISURE BATHS LTD. - BURNABY, BC, Canada

A. Hi Jonathan. It would be better to contact a plating process or equipment distributor, or google 'plating rack manufacturer'. The "standard" coating on plating racks for decades has been dipped vinyl plastisol applied by the rack manufacturers and baked.

Air-dry plastisol touch-up coatings, maybe not dissimilar to the products you mentioned, are sometimes used to temporarily repair a cut or nick in plastisol coatings, but don't have the adhesion and durability to be a good answer as an original coating -- plus you need to be concerned about contaminating the plating tanks with organics if you're not sure about these specific coating materials.

Also, plan from the get-go to have carts or an area on a wall where you can hang the racks. Standing or laying them on a concrete floor will abrade them and require too much maintenance.

finishing.com is possible thanks to our supporting advertisers, including:

maskcoat banner