Energy Used to Anodize Aluminium

(2000)

I am trying to get an estimate for how much energy is utilised to anodise aluminium (per ton )...?

VJF
- England

simultaneous (2000)

VJF, Anodizing is done by amps per square foot of surface area .. not by weight. The amperage depends on what type of anodizing you are applying, it can range from 15-50 (typically) amps per square foot. And, of course, you need a rectifier capable of maintaining voltage, because, as anodizing is dielectric, your volts will need to increase to maintain your desired amperage setting.

anodizer - Boise, Idaho

(2000)

Depends on the process and the parameters honestly. It can differ by more than just a little bit. "Standard" (I put it in quotes cause in my opinion, there is not real standard) Sulfuric Acid Anodizing process 14-18 amps/sq.ft are typical, in sulfuric hardcoat anodizing 28-40A/SQ.FT is typical.

If you knew the total footage of said material, for example you had a 10 ft part of 6061-T6 that weighed around 1.02 lbs/ft you could calculate pretty darn close exactly how much "energy" is used. Define energy for me by the way...do you mean electrical energy as in kwH, or energy as is "amount of effort necessary to accomplish a task", not necessarily kwH, but maybe horsepower.

My brain must be fried I can't remember the technical definition of energy. I remember Ohm's Law E/I=R or was it I/E=R :-)

Matthew Stiltner
- Toledo, Ohio

(2001)

I would like to start up a small anodising plant for use on products that we manufacture but only have a very basic idea of the process. Is these somewhere online that I can get information needed to build a plant?

Sean D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

(2001)

Hello Sean,

The reason that specialized anodizing textbooks are so expensive isn't because paper is expensive, but because the authors can't spend months or years of their time uncompensated :-)

Unfortunately you are not going to find substantive detail on the Internet about how to design an anodizing plant. Rather you'll need to consult textbooks like The Electroplating Engineering Handbook and The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and its Alloys, and possibly hire a consultant.

But there are a few pieces of the puzzle available. You may want to view my on-line article: "Plating Shops for the New Millenium". Good luck.