Welding of hot dip galvanised kettle

A discussion started in 2008 and continuing through 2020
Adding your Q. / A. or Comment will restore it to the Current Topics page

I have a kettle for hot dip galvanising and would like to cut it in half, reduce the size and weld it again.Does anyone have an idea which type of welder to use to weld it back again.

Rahim

RAHIM NEETOO
Galvanising - Mauritius

Arc welder.

But ensure you get the right electrodes, must be very low Si level, or the weld will dissolve in the zinc, leaving a big mess !

Geoff Crowley
Geoff Crowley
galvanizing & powder coating shop
Glasgow, Scotland

Sir:
The two companies that I know who make galvanizing kettles are Pilling (Germany) and Columbiana (USA). You should find out from these companies (or the company that you purchased your kettle) the correct welding rod and the methods for welding. After welding them x-ray the welds to make sure that they are good. Check the "heat" (chemical composition) of your kettle iron to make sure it is proper. I think Columbiana uses "normal" welding methods whereas I think Pilling may use a "slag welding" method, whatever that may be.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
Galvanizing Consultant - Hot Springs, South Dakota, USA

I am post graduate student in a department of Manufacturing Engineering at ADAMA UNIVERSITY/ETHIOPIA.So I need to prepare welding procedure specification and make research on fabrication of Galvanizing Kettle.
Please attach the previously made procedures and related documents about the manufacturing of Galvanizing pot.

Tefera Eniyew
student - Adama, Ethiopia

July 10, 2020 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. CAN ANYBODY SUGGEST US FOR GRADE OF MIG WIRE OR SAW WIRE FOR WELDING OF GALVANIZING KETTLE?

ILESH VYAS
- VADODARA, India