Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

topic 44569 p3

F.B. Rogers Tea Set -- Is It Silver Plate or Sterling Silver? p3

< Prev. page          (You're on the last page of the thread)

Q. My tray also has a red sticker that say F.B. Rogers silver company Taunton, Mass. Does this give it a time?

Lee VanHouten
- grand junction Colorado usa

A. Hello Lee. Rogers moved to Taunton in 1866, so it doesn't mean anything except that the piece is not from before 1866. Unless it is stamped "Sterling", it isn't. And if it isn't, it's value is almost surely approximately zero. Sorry, but there is nobody who wants this stuff, and there is an awful lot of it available. My wife has several such silver plated trays in the attic. In fact I don't think I know anyone "of a certain age" who doesn't except those who finally threw it away :-(

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

"English Silver Hallmarks"

Q. Following the discussion of FB Rogers silverplate I have a small oval footed dish with "Made in Denmark"" stamped on it. It appears to have an anodized green surface in the bowl. It reminds me of the anodized aluminum containers from the 1950's. My question: is that the process they used to make the color in the bowl, or is it a coating of green glass? And is there any significance that it was made in Denmark?

Carol Self
- Port Hadlock, Washington

Q. I have a silver tea set with FB Rogers stamped on the bottom, in the middle, but that's it; no other markings, block letters. Also had a small inspection tag. Its not magnetic and there is copper underneath, I can tell. Currently it needs polishing, was purchased in the mid 70's. Can you help? Was this an actual FB Rogers stamp?

Norris Harward
- Dublin, California

A. Hi Norris. Sorry, but that stuff is silverplate and it's worth almost nothing whether it's real or counterfeit. Simply, there are millions of people with this stuff in their attic and virtually nobody who wants any of it.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

Q. I now possess a bowl with Paul Revere BF Rogers Silver Co.
6 Reproduction. Do I have something that I need to get an insurance appraisal on? It also has the 1883 on it yet I found that is when the company started. Thank you for answering this question for me.

Sue Rinehart-Schulz
- Ford, Washington USA

I have a silverplate teapot with the markings F.B. Rogers Silver Co.
Above, the words TRADE MARK are on either side of a cross in an arch above a crown with 18 and 63 on either side. Does the age of this teapot, add to its' value, or is still $15-$30? What is the best way to clean silver plate, including darkened areas? Thanks for your patience in answering all of our questions.

Erika Burke
- San Francisco, California

thumbs up signHi folks. Sure, there's a chance that one in a million of these items is worth something, just as there's a chance that one in a million discarded lottery tickets you see in a wastepaper basket is worth something. But although people have referred you to a lot of sources and routes that you can study if you want to invest that much time, experience clearly shows that nobody is going to do that investment of time for you, so I'm not seeing much point in continuing to post such markings. I don't want to be rude, but you're wasting your time.

The best way to clean silver plate is with aluminum foil or an aluminum "silver cleaning plate" and washing soda as explained in letter 4785. You may need to finish up with silver polish, but don't do the heavy cleaning with polish because it removes silver whereas the aluminum cleaning plate converts silver tarnish back to silver.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

! If you have 1883 F B ROGERS SILVER with crown hallmark you should be able to make out the word quadruple. Which meant it was silver plated 4 times. After the early 1900's they stopped plating in quadruple silver. And went to just silver plated which has considerably less silver on it.

Olivia McGuire
- New haven, Connecticut USA

A. Quadruple plate contained 8 tr.oz. of silver plate per gross (144 pieces) of teaspoons. The plating was about 1.2 mils thick (.0012"). In 1975, quadruple plate was still being produced, mainly for places like hotel restaurants.

Chris Owen
- Nevada, Missouri, USA

Q. I have a question for you guys. I have a creamer and sugar set that has the crown and all the markings like it should. However my set says 12 oz and 13 oz on each. Mean anything?

Ria ott
- sun prairie, Wisconsin

Hi Ria. I'll bet the one holds 12 ounces and the other holds 13 ounces.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

"Jackson's Hallmarks"
English, Scottish, Irish
Silver & Gold Marks

Q. F B ROGERS STERLING SILVER TRAY WITH 18 TO LEFT AND 83 TO RIGHT OF CROWN. WHAT IS THE VALUE OF SUCH AN ITEM. IT IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION BUT IT NEEDS POLISHING.

NAY DAUD
COLLECTOR - PHOENIX, ARIZONA, USA

A. Hi Nay. Any "We buy gold" store will test that it is sterling (which is very unlikely unless it is so marked), weigh it, and give you the current value of the melted down silver. If you are sure that it is sterling, you could list it on e-bay ... but remember that the prices you see on e-bay are primarily what stuff is not selling for, rather than what it is selling for :-)

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

Q. Hi. I am a resident of the UK, Ashton Under Lyne near Manchester in Lancashire. I have in my possession a FB Rogers Creamer and Sugar Bowl with lid that I purchased from a charity shop a few years ago. I have just decided to look up the stamp. FB ROGERS intaglio stamp. And then in a fainter stamp FB ROGERS, Silverplated. USA on the creamer and vice verser on the sugar bowl.

I chanced upon this thread and read through whether or not I would be quids in. Alas it seems this be not the case. It would be interesting to find out when exactly it was made to give a clear view of their period.

Regardless of their worthlessness, if what I read here is correct, there is no doubt I have a couple of bonny trinkets for the old den!

Kind regards

Andrew Craven
- Ashton Under Lyne, Lancashire, UK

A. Hi Andrew. There's nothing wrong with liking what you like and proudly displaying it :-)

The problems only arise when ..
1. people assume that silverplate must be a valuable rarity because they rarely see it ... when the actual situation is more like such items are stored in every second attic in the country because this once popular look is out of fashion.
2. they assume that silverplate must have significant intrinsic metal value because, after all, there is silver in the plating ... not recognizing that the plating is very very thin and recovering the silver is more costly than its value.

Liking it is fine; expecting to make money selling it, not so much :-)

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

F.B. ROGERS ITALY F.B.R.-EP. ZINC Trivet

Q. About 20 yrs ago a friend gave me a heart shaped trivet with scrolling in the center. On the back it says:F.B.ROGERS ITALY (on the top left) On the top right it says:F.B.ROGERS-E.P. ZINC. I've read the threads and have not seen one addressing zinc. HELP!

44569-3a   44569-3b  

Carrie Vance
- Potsdam, New York USA

A. Hi Carrie. If you search for "zinc trivet" on Ebay you will see dozens of similar items with asking prices of $3 to $20. By all means enjoy it, but it has no metal value, collector value, or history.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

Q. We just picked up an F.B. Rogers Silver Company item in the box with the title: THE LOG
It's a heavy trinket box shaped like a log and the cover is removable. Looks silver plate which is expected. However, there are absolutely no markings at all on the piece. Was this typical at some point for the company? Any info is appreciated.

44569-4a   44569-4b   44569-4c   44569-4d  

Mitch Silverstein
- Nyack, New York USA

Q. I have a Silver Revere Bowl (not sure if it's Sterling or plated -- will have to look and add that info later) that says Ford 75th anniversary on it. I cannot locate another anywhere online and I'm trying to determine its value.

William T
- GREENWOOD, Indiana

Hi William. This site is about the technology of finishes, not antiquing or valuations. Although I see no silver bowls commemorating Ford's 75th Anniversary on E-bay, there are dozens of other items which tell us that the date was 1978; and most of those items are listed quite cheap. So it's not old, it's not silver unless it's marked 'Sterling', and few people use silver bowls anymore, so I doubt that there is much of a market for it … but good luck.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

! Hello,
I am from Belgium. I had a Dutch girl friend who is experienced in "treasure hunting".

She once found a large set of silver cutlery from the famous Christoffle in a garage sale.

They asked 15 euro for the 10-person set.
She even had the nerve to offer 13 euro for it :-)

So go out and find yourself a nice treasure. Some people really don't know what they've got.

Roel van bael
- Turnhout, Belgium

thumbs up sign  Hi Roel. Thanks. You're surely right that there are treasures out there, but there are also discarded lottery tickets that are winners. Collecting other people's discards won't earn anyone their fortune (nor will bringing those "finds" to an antique shop for evaluation make them popular) until they've made the effort your girl friend made to learn what they're looking for. Virtually all of this stuff is so worthless that charities often won't even take it :-)

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

I have a F. B Rogers Silver Co.
1883 silver plate tea set

And just wanted to know there is a number on the bottom of one of the items and it says "1211" can you tell me what these markings mean for further identification of other items as well?
I am starting to get back into silver items again but I don't know much about any of the markings and symbols.

Reese Woods
- Grove, Oklahoma, Usa

"Miller's Antiques Marks"

A. Hi Reese. As said before, this is not some sort of consultancy, it's just a public forum for discussing such things. Unfortunately, just posting the markings on your own pieces has seemed to lead only to long lists of unanswered questions rather than much discussion. But there are links on this thread to books on the topic, to helpful pages of hallmarks, to suggestions that you check ebay for similar items, plus some general hints that silverplate probably has no value. So I'd suggest reading the previous entries rather than waiting for someone to answer your question, which probably won't happen :-(

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

Q. How much is a tea pot from F.B. Rogers silver company really worth with the trademark and date stamped on the bottom worth? I was helping a couple move about 2 weeks ago and she said here you can have this and so I took it because I didn't want to upset her seeing I didn't want anything for helping them out. I can tell it's silver but what I don't know is how much it's really worth

Robyn Davis
- NINE MILE FALLS WASHINGTON

A. Hi Robyn. It's probably silverplate with no intrinsic value, only worth what people are willing to pay for it, and that's probably nothing because it's not in style and it's in every second or third attic or basement. Sorry.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever