Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

F.B. Rogers Tea Set -- Is It Silver Plate or Sterling Silver?

Current question and answers:

Q. I purchased a silver punch bowl from an auction It was heavily tarnished. I found a trade mark 1883 F B Rogers silver company. Is she silver or silver plated. Currently in the process of cleaning her.

Lisa caulder
- Dillon South Carolina
^-- Answer or Comment on this question --^
This site is built on readers' Q&A's - Chime Right In

A. Hi Lisa. "1883" represents the age of the company, not the punchbowl. It's silverplate. All sterling silver is stamped '925' or 'Sterling'. According to icollectsterling.com this has been the case since 1849.

Q. I have a Rogers sterling 1255. I'm assuming from all these other answers it is plated. Is there any value in this or is it junk? Thanks.

Kay Golden
- New York

A. Hi Kay. I don't know why you are calling it a "Rogers sterling 1255" or if that was just a typo or mind blip. If it is stamped "Sterling" or "925" it is sterling and has intrinsic metal value (if not collectible value). If it's not so stamped it is NOT sterling, my understanding is it is plated and has no value.

Previous closely related Q&A's starting in:

2007

Q. I was doing some thrift shopping the other day and came upon a tea set and bought it for $29.00, When I got it home I knew I had to clean it right away and during the cleaning I found the Letters F.B. Rogers but there are no other markings on the items. How do I tell if it is sterling or silver plated?

Thanks Bev

Bev Newburn
hobbyist - Hastings, Iowa

2007

A. $29 tells you it's plated, not sterling. If sterling, it would be worth ten times that just as scrap value.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina

2007

A. Try silvermarksfinder.com
You may be lucky. Not everyone knows the value of the things they sell.

----
Ed. update, March 2019: That domain name is currently for sale and is presently functioning only as a link farm.

2007

A. F.B. Rogers is in itself a clue that it is silverplate as this was their specialty. They are now a part of National Silver Company. If you paid $29 for it and it polished up nicely then you got your money's worth. Just relax and enjoy it!

Marvin Baird
- Peoria, Illinois

"English Silver Hallmarks"

Q. What is known about "silver-plated" flatware marked f. b rogers china? "Plated", etc., is not indicated on any of the pieces. My daughter found a set for sale she wants. It's a bit pricey.
However,i am rather concerned.
The listing states it is b. f. rogers (as visible in one picture), rather than f.b and states age between 1900 and 1940.

44569

seller describes it as elegant with onyx highlights.
seller states it does not know the pattern.
the listing also mentioned that some of the seams were visible denoting minimal use. it is use that polishes/eliminates their visibility. hhhmmu.... relying on only common sense, the seam issue points to inferior craftsmanship.

however, I love my daughter and do not want to disappoint without factual explanation.

I'VE DONE MUCH RESEARCH TO NO AVAIL. I CHECKED OUT REPLACEMENTS.COM, OF COURSE.
PLEASE HELP!

THANK YOU,

sharonstone
steph gregory
- saint petersburg, Florida

sidebar

Hi, Sharon ... -- I mean Steph. I've got this basic instinct that there's something suspicious about your portrait :-)

A. This message is for Steph G of St. Petersburg:

Hi: Don't buy the stuff if it is marked "F B Rogers-China". I won a whole lot of this junk flatware on a non-profit auction site and they advertised it as "silver plate" when in truth it is similar to plastic spray painted with a silver coating which MAY contain lead. I am desperately trying to get my money back. I've had to email the Consumer Protection Agency of the state where I won the auction. This has been going on since January. I am finally getting some results now that I've involved the state claiming false advertising.

Sincerely

Jane Lochowicz
- Brookfield, Wisconsin

Q. How could you tell it was fake and not real silver plate? I bought some recently that says F.B. Rogers China and now I'm confused. Is there none made in China that is legitimate?

Lynn Farnsworth
- Columbus, Ohio

A. This message is for Lynn F. You can tell if the flat ware is silver plate by trying to break it. If it snaps in two then you have the cheap stuff I was stuck with. Also there is a pattern out there by f b rogers/China that is stainless steel. Hold a magnet to it and if it holds you have stainless steel and NOT silver plate as advertised. Take the stuff back and get your money back and deal with companies that deal in silver plate.

Sincerely

Jane Lochowicz
- Brookfield, Wisconsin

Q. Found something similar at a store.
It's a water / milk pitcher marked
F. B. ROGERS SILVER CO.
2707
DATED 1883

The trade mark is a crown
Anybody know anything on this?

Eric Spain
- Dayton, Ohio

A. This is a response to Eric Spain. Hi, I've been researching the F.B. Rogers Co. because of a sugar and creamer I picked up. The company started in 1883, incorporated in 1886, and became part of the National Silver Co. in 1955. Yes, the Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers says the official F.B. Rogers trademark is a crown with 1883, which sounds like what you wrote. I read they're known for silver plating, and I can tell my sugar and creamer are silver plate over copper because the slight wear spots inside show a pinkish coppery hue. Hope that helps!

Michelle Fender
- St. Petersburg, Florida

"Jackson's Hallmarks"
English, Scottish, Irish
Silver & Gold Marks

Q. I have a coffee pot with attached lid along with floral design. Also have creamer, sugar bowl and a large serving tray. All these items say F.B Rogers with the crown emblem along with the numbers 1883. All pieces say silver. My question is how do I find the value for this whole set? Are these items worth anything? Did F.B.Rogers make items marked sterling silver? Someone offered me $135. for the whole set. Was that good?

Eleanor Sanchez
- Bakersfield, California

A. Hi, Eleanor. I apologize but we specifically cannot offer any appraisal help ... but I think it's very unlikely that it's sterling silver if it doesn't say "Sterling", although you can go to a "We Buy Gold" store and they'll tell you. Please try to track similar items on ebay and decide what you can get for it -- $135 sounds good to me :-)
Sorry and good luck.

Q. I have a meat platter with F.B. Rogers on the back also the number 1209- Is this number a pattern no. How do you tell the difference between silver versus silver plate ?

Florence Adams
Homeowner - Bel Air, Maryland

A. I'm not sure what the number stands for, it could be a model number as I have seen similar numbers on F.B. items. (not including the crown TM with 1883)...

If your item is in NEW condition, you probably won't be able to tell that it's silver plate, but if the item has been USED, you may see a pinkish/orange hue to the finish. This is the copper coming through the worn spots on the silver plate.

Also, just to keep in mind, if you ever have a question about F.B.Rogers' authenticity, F.B.R. has always been made in the U.S.A. never in China (these are cheap knockoffs, sometimes sold at not-so-cheap prices.) and to tell if you have silver plate or sterling, look for the stamp saying "silver plate" (meaning silver plating over another metal such as copper or nickel) or "sterling" (meaning non-plated silver) or "925" (which is the stamp for sterling silver.)

Katie Scott
- Holland, Michigan

Q. Hi, I recently fell in love with a set of silverplate on copper made by F. B.Rogers.crown hallmark 1883 and has the number 2351, the set has three coffee pots,one has a swing movement stand and a place for a candle? ,although there is a cover to diffuse the heat, there are three other pieces,sugar,creamer and? The set came with a huge tray.
The woman who sold it to me told me she bought it when her daughter was engaged 40 years ago from an Estate sale that had only the finest things and that it was old then,I bought it because I thought it was quite beautiful ,my question is..... how old is this set? Can anyone please date it ? I paid $125.00 and to me it was worth every cent.Is the # a clue to the age or to a pattern? I thank you for your time //(*_~)\\

Lynda Moran
Buyer - Hawley, Pennsylvania

Q. I bought at 16 place setting with hostess set, serving pieces and extras of FB Rogers-China silver plate at a thrift store for $40. Research is revealing this is a knock-off and not real FB Rogers. Does anyone know what this set originally would have sold for? Although I know it is a cheap set, it is pretty but I would like to know if I did ok on price.

stephanie contos
- san diego, California

Q. What is it used for. I picked it up at a swap meet it was black and required some serious elbow grease.
It has silver ornate separate lid. It would appear to take some heat.
Can anyone help me with some information of date, etc.

Lillian Bozanich
Hobbyist - Western Australia

Q. I have had a FB Rogers tea and coffee pot set for about 10 years. It was a gift from my father. It has the large coffee pot on tilting stand with burner, 2 different sized tea pots, a creamer, sugar and 1 other piece plus the large tray. It is all marked FB Rogers with "Trade Mark" at the top, the crown and 18 83. Not one of the pieces say the pattern number. Any ideas.

Georgia Millard
Hobbyist - Houston, Texas

Q. F.B ROGERS SILVER CO 1883 then a 648. Hi. I have acquired a two tier beautiful serving (lazy susan type dish) dish large and round bottom with the one on top smaller with a great handle so it can be offered to guests. Does any one know if this would be silver? It has no other markings but those in my title. It is BEAUTIFUL and appears to be all silver. There isn't much wear and has been taken care of well. Is this also a popular pattern? I can not find this pattern number anywhere so I do not know date of making. If anyone can help with this please do and thank you! Is this silver? Usually I find silverplate or silver on copper etc but not with this one.
Thank you!
Anita

Anita Kalbfleisch
collector - Vancouver, Washington

Q. We were leasing a home to an individual who left without paying rent. We were getting rid of the mounds of junk remaining and came across a tray that appears to be silver plate. Since I do not know the difference between silver and silver plate I thought this would be a way to confirm. The only markings that I can find read "Roger's Bro. 2380". I would appreciate your expert opinion. Thanks, C. Schwarz

C. Schwarz
casual interest - Pipe Creek, Texas

A. Hi, C. Despite your kind attempt to compliment people, you can't get "expert opinion" here on the internet; you would need to take the pieces to an antique store or appraiser for that :-)

But Roger's Bros. made silverplate. And the pieces aren't marked "sterling". So they are almost surely silverplate.

You may find www.silvercollecting.com interesting. Good luck.

----
Ed. update, March 2019: Sorry, www.silvercollecting.com is currently just a link farm.

Q. Hi: We received an F.B. Rogers Silver Co. Trademark 1883 silverplate set back in 1968 and the coffepot and teapot are needing to be replated. Where is a good place to get them replated? Even though the other pieces are still good, should we have the entire set replated? Thanks, Fred

Fred Halvorsen
hobbyist - Findlay, Ohio

----
Ed. note: If it is important to you that the pieces match in color and luster, yes, they all need replating. You might consider the shops shown in our Jobshops directory; other than that, sorry, we can't print recommendations of particular shops (why?).

Q. Hello, I have a tea pot and coffee that are marked F.B Rogers without any other markings trying to find out if it is plated, but after reading the noted I guess it is. Should I look for any other marking on them?

Charlene Davis
- Owens Cross Roads, Alabama

Q. I inherited a set of dinnerware in original case from my mother, who always referred to it as silverware. the pattern is 1847 rogers bros., pattern is "eternally yours". How do I find out if this pattern is silver, silverplated, or other metal?
I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Ruth Wade
inherited silver dinnerware - Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

"Miller's Antiques Marks"

Q. I have a 4 piece tea set. It includes pot, creamer, sugar bowl with lid, and a round serving tray. On the pot it has a crown with the number 18 at the left and 83 at the right for (1883) also located just below it has the number 2391. It does say F.B. Rogers Silver Co on the pot only. The serving tray has a design located across it. Can you tell me how old it is? What the 2391 means, etc?

Pat Copeland
- Diamond, Missouri, USA

Hi, Pat.

Please try to track it down in hallmarking books at the library; otherwise, the simplest route to your answers is usually to find similar stuff on ebay. Or take them to a "We Buy Gold" store, which will have testing equipment. Good luck!

Hopefully readers of this public forum will try to help you :-)

(you are on the 1st page of the thread)       Next page >