Nitriding of Stainless Steel Q&A's

adv.   kolene banner

(2001)

Q. I want to nitride a stainless steel bushing, but I can't find an applicable standard. The bushing has .5 OD, .375 ID, and .5 length. Is there a standard that governs this process?

Bruce E [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Cupertino, California, USA

(2001)

RFQ: I am currently looking into the use of Nitriding of 304L (annealed) to increase surface hardness. Any information regarding any facility which does this will be appreciated.

Moghees Siddiqi [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2001)

A. Hard to answer this in non-commercial fashion, but:

I like
OWEGO HEAT TREAT, INC.
1646 MARSHLAND ROAD
APALACHIN, NY 13732.

While Ed Engelhard there doesn't support finishing.com, he does support the appropriate heat treat societies.

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

Q. Looking for information about Nitriding process on St.St. type 440c

Jacob Gross
scientific biopsies - Even Yehuda, Israel

(2004)

I want to nitride a stainless steel filter, but I can't find an applicable standard. The filter is 1000 OD, 990 ID, and 2200 length. Is there a standard for this process?

Reza Jafari
- Iran

(2004)

Q. Please. How can I recognize the S-phase, forming in stainless steel nitriding, using XRD. When I use XRD, a hump contains 4 peaks at 2 Theta= 37.3, 41.08, 43.45, 47.88 . Are these peaks due to the Fe4N and CrN phases that decomposed from the S-phase or these peaks are due to S-phase it self? How can I know. please help me.

Doaa Ibraheem
- Cairo, Nassr City, Egypt

(2005)

Q. I am doing research in nitriding of stainless steels. but every one talks about only plasma nitriding. What about other types? What is the missing link between the other types and ion nitriding? Please send the clarification.

KUMAR.T [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
SRM Institute of Science and Technology. - chennai. Tamil Nadu. INDIA.

(2005)

A. Dear Friend, You also have gas nitriding which is commercially done by most of the commercial heat Treaters. Gas nitriding can be done using a sealed quench furnace, which takes much longer duration when compared to plasma nitriding.

BTW, this is related to Heat Treatment. If you look at the sites related to Heat Treatment, you may get more details about gas nitriding.

v g rajendran
V. G. Rajendran
- Trichy, Tamilnadu, India

A. Hi. And the 3rd type would be salt bath nitriding. Good luck.

(2006)

Q. Hello, currently I am doing research in the area of Nitriding of Stainless steels using Gas, Salt Bath and Plasma techniques. I request you all help me in getting the literature survey.Please forward the technical papers and articles if you have any with you, which will be very much helpful to me.

KUMAR [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
SRM University - CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA

(2006)

A. Dear kumar,

What type of help you need. I think your university may have the membership of sciencedirect. There you will find a number of technical literature papers. If you have any doubts feel free to ask me. Check at your end that your university may have membership. SRM UNIVERSITY is where it is located actually.

angadala, PVD coatings engineer
- Pune, Maharastra, India

Q. Sir we are making vegetable cutting Blade from SS-304 WE would Like to Know Process of plasma nitriding enable for our product , what effect on the surface of blade after process if any other process suitable for the same please tell us.

Vishal kumar
engineer - India

A. It would be a better idea to get it TiN coated. It increases life and with golden yellow colour, makes it aesthetically appealing.

H.R. Prabhakara
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

A. Hi, folks.

My understanding is that nitriding of stainless steel is usually discouraged because it involves depleting the chrome oxide layer on the surface of the stainless steel, whereas it is that chrome oxide layer that imparts the corrosion resistance. However, there are proprietary processes like Kolsterising (topic 28871) and Malcomizing (topic 5718). Please see those threads for more info on those topics.

Blackening on nitrided SS 430 engine valves wears off

Q. Hi
My name is vijay. We are mfgrs of nitriding chemicals. We came across caustic soda blackening, one of our customers is carrying out caustic soda blackening after nitriding for SS 430 engine valve. The problem is that after the blackening process the black colour wipes off. Please help me with a solution.

Vijayaraghavan Sridhar
- Chennai, India