-----

"Re-do nickel-lined copper cookware"

Current posting:

A. If you don't mind paying a little more for it, I think silver plating instead of the nickel is the way to go. I've heard that silver over previously tinned copper may come off over time, but silver over nickel works well.

Sally Zimmer
Hobbyist - Westfield, New Jersey, USA
^

thumbs up sign This is the first time I've heard this, but I would be very interested in hearing of anyone who has restored silver over a nickel-lined pan.

Peter Donald
enthusiast - California
^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

2006

RFQ: I have several nickel-lined copper cooking pots on which the nickel lining has worn through. I'm looking for someone who can refurbish the nickel lining. Is this possible? I have found plenty of shops willing to brush a tin coating on, but I want to be able to use the pots over high heat.
I'm willing to ship anywhere in North America that can do the job.

Bob Holmes
Homeowner - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
^

^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

----
Ed. note: As always, gentle readers, technical replies in public and commercial replies in private please ( huh? why?)

RFQ: I am also looking for someone to reline in nickel. I am also looking for that

Pierre St-Germain
- Sst-Bruno,Qc Canada
^

^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

----

A. Hi Pierre. I find that interesting; I had never heard of nickel plating the inside of copper pots and pans. Certainly it can be done, and in fact the continuous molds used in steel mills are nickel plated copper, but I've just never seen such cookware. Looking at a number of other forums, nobody seems to offer a re-nickeling service ... but I don't see why a nickel plating shop couldn't if they wanted to.

^

A. Tin is the metal used to line or re-line copper pots.

Chris Owen
- Benton, AR, USA
^

thumbs up sign Hi Chris. Yes, tin is far more common and is the subject of several threads here, including letter 25553, "Historical hand re-tinning of copper cooking utensils?" and letter 11722, "Relining/re-tinning of copper pots, pans, & cookware". But there definitely are some antique nickel-plated copper pots and pans (they might only have been available in Canada though).

^

A. Nickel became popular for French copper cookware in the 1980’s and is often mistaken for tin or stainless steel. The better manufacturers used an arc welding method to thermally spray the nickel to the pan.

Alexander Rank
- Berkeley, CA, USA
^

your name here