HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 40929

Refurbishing nickel-lined copper cookware

(2006)

Q. I have several nickel-lined copper cooking pots on which the nickel lining has worn through. I'm looking for someone who can refurbish the nickel lining. Is this possible? I have found plenty of shops willing to brush a tin coating on, but I want to be able to use the pots over high heat.
I'm willing to ship anywhere in North America that can do the job.

Bob Holmes
Homeowner - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
outdated

Q. I am also looking for someone to reline in nickel I am also looking for that

Pierre St-Germain
- Sst-Bruno,Qc Canada

A. Hi Pierre. I find that interesting; I had never heard of nickel plating the inside of copper pots and pans. Certainly it can be done, and in fact the continuous molds used in steel mills are nickel plated copper, but I've just never seen such cookware. Looking at a number of other forums, nobody seems to offer a re-nickeling service ... but I don't see why a nickel plating shop couldn't if they wanted to.

A. Tin is the metal used to line or re-line copper pots.

Chris Owen
- Nevada, Missouri, USA

thumbs up signHi Chris. Yes, tin is far more common and is the subject of several threads here, including letter 25553, "Historical hand re-tinning of copper cooking utensils?" and letter 11722, "Relining/re-tinning of copper pots, pans, & cookware". But there definitely are some antique nickel-plated copper pots and pans (they might only have been available in Canada).