topic 38809p3

Antique baby carriage restoration Q&A's, p.3

< Prev. page          (You're on the last page of this topic)

RFQ: Need to find someone that restores old baby buggy tires they are hard rubber.

bruce wolczanski
1953 - ft lauderdale, Florida
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

RFQ: Replacement tire(s) needed for vintage Perego Pram
One of the rubber wheels on my much loved vintage Perego Pram is disintegrating. I am desperate to find a replacement tire (or set of tires).
Any help in achieving this goal would be greatly appreciated!

vintage Perego Pram tires A  vintage Perego Pram tires B

Is there anyone who makes custom tires?
Or is there a source for replacement tires that would fit vintage prams?

Catherine Paull
buyer - Ossining, New York, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

vintage bassinet / carriage

Q. I hope you can help. I have a gorgeous white wicker bassinet that is now a family heirloom. I'm about to have my first grandchild and the chassis (where the basket sits in, raising it up high and including wheels) got lost in a move.

Where can I find a chassis and, if I can't find one on ebay, who can make one? I live in Westchester county, New York.

Stephanie Greene
- New rochelle, New York

Q. I Have an early 1940's South Bend Toy Mfg. Wood Doll carriage in pretty good shape. What can I use to clean this up with that will not hurt the finish. Also the Doll needs to be restored does anyone have suggestions.

Gwyneth Stadt
- Grant Park, Illinois USA

Q. Is there anywhere I could get parts for my baby carriage?

Patti Moffett
- Bossier city, Louisiana

Q. I'm working on a small toy metal buggy with plastic wheels. With white spokes and blue rims. How can I get a new wheel and also how do I get the metal cap off of the axle end. The tire/wheel size is 7 inches from edge to edge. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Rhonda Bagley
- Slinger Wisconsin USA

38809-7

Q. I just purchased a Baby Hood vintage stroller and realized that it is missing the part that raises the bassinet off of the wheel base. Is there some place I could get this replacement part?

Maureen Perez
- Trinity, Florida, USA

Q. Mystery Pram frame without basket. Anyone know its maker?

38809-6

I have a double handled baby pram frame on wheels and am trying to find similar carriage to see if I can formulate a proper basket replacement for it. the handles are wood on wrought iron frame

Patty Putman
collector - washoe valley, Nevada

Silver Cloud Pram replacement straps

Q. I have a Silver Cloud pram that was purchased around 1985. It has a total of 6 leather straps that need replacing.
Does anyone know where I can purchase these?
Thank you very much.

carolyn lee
owner - wichita falls, texas

Q. Hi, I have an old doll buggy and the hood is torn. Should I take the old piece off and put a new one, or should I leave it and try to stitch it together, then put another one on top of it? Should I glew it on the ribs or stitch it on?

Renee Micheli
- Calgary, Canada

thumbs up signHi folks.

If you enjoy your carriage hobby, we're delighted to provide you the space to discuss it; we're happy to post your photos, and offer good Google placement so you'll have plenty of company :-)

But finishing.com focuses on metal finishing and we have no expertise or interest in carriages other than their finishes.

So if this thread consists only of people wanting help but never offering any, it will become just a silly stream of unanswered questions. Please try your very best to help at least one other person with their question before posting your own!

Q. I have a 1960 Pedigree Pram and I need to find the pad and the solid unit the pad sits on. Also the diaper bag that hooks onto the pram in cornflower blue. Any hope of finding these items?

Alice Albert
- Myerstown, Pennsylvania USA

Q. HAVE A SET OF WHITE RUBBER BABY CARRIAGE WHEELS
NO LONGER INSTALLED ON ANY CARRIAGE BUT HAVE BEEN RE-PURPOSED FOR AN OLD FASHIONED WOODEN WAGON, VERY CRUDE
BUT PERIOD CORRECT.
THE ENTIRE PIECE IS USED FOR AN OCCASIONAL TABLE.

ISSUE IS THIS: THE 4 WHITE RUBBER CARRIAGE WHEELS
HAVE HARDENED AND NOW THE WHITE RUBBER GIVES OFF A
FINE WHITE DUST-LIKE EFFECT WHEN USED INSIDE
AND THE DUST PLACED ON THE MRS'S CARPET.

WE NEED TO SEEK A WAY TO RE-COAT THE RUBBER
WITH A PRESERVATIVE, OR PERHAPS SOMETHING MORE
LIKE A FORM OF VARNISH, WATER BASED OR OTHERWISE?
HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING ABOUT THIS TOPIC AND
REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THESE WHEELS AS THEY
ARE A GOOD SHARE OF THE PIECE'S BOYISH APPEAL.
ANY SUGGESTIONS SO APPRECIATED

JACK ROUCHAUD
- WHITE PLAINS New York UNITED STATES

One of the rubber wheels on my much loved vintage Loydd from the 60's is disintegrating. I am desperate to find a replacement tire (or set of tires).
We are in Calgary Canada.
What can I do to fix it or replace it?

Sophie Tremblay
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Q. Hi I need information on where to orders parts for a Perego baby carriage, 4 white wall wheels, 4 hub caps, metal basket, 2 Perego logos gold color, fabric (canvas). I live in Beech Island

Joeann Curry
- Beech Island South Carolina USA

Q. Hi, where can I find leather straps for a doll carriage.
Ty Linda

Linda mcmahon
- Staten Island New York

thumbs up sign Readers: you found this page because you discovered from Googling that there is no other forum in all our wide world which covers restoration of old baby carriages. But if this page turns into a dull and endless list of "where can I find this, where can I find that", with nothing posted of actual human interest, where will that leave things for you? :-)

Please do your best to contribute interesting reading :-)

A. I am no longer in any related business. In fact I never was. I built custom motorcycles and restored several old bikes originally built from 1920 up to the 1970's. I used chrome platters in Newark NJ for my metal plating needs. I mostly used Modern Plating and polishing who changed their name to Mottern polishing and plating. I've been out of the business for 25 years and they may be gone by now but they were only 1 of many suppliers in Newark.

Hemmings Motor News

For those needing special fabrics, paint or dye, there's another place in Newark that has lots of supplies for cars going back to the beginning. I forget their name but last time I looked at Hemmings Motor News they still had ads in it under several headings.

I always found them under Rolls Royce Bentley or Packard parts. About 20 years ago I remember ads for shops who made solid rubber tires. I hope they are still in business.

As far as baby carriage tires I'm also looking for some myself for a 1971 Peg Prego. I'll be looking in Hemmings for one as soon as I can find a new issue on a news stand somewhere. If and when I do I will post the results here.

Thanks to those who started this site, and I must add they are right. Unless a lot more start posting answers instead of questions there isn't much reason for it to exist.

I hope everyone who has a question that goes unanswered but finds a solution will post how they solved it.

I came here looking for a place to get new tires without luck. I posted what I will be trying when I get the time but I also have another possibility.

Not too many Years ago I saw a product named LIQUID RUBBER. If I can find it my idea is to get a roll of aluminum flashing, a big clamp and cut a long strip to go around my buggy tires Clamp it on and make a small hole on top to use a cake icing applicator to fill inside the tires. Keeping the filler hole on top. You must have it on tight and keep a vigil on leaks and settling of the liquid rubber. If anyone tries those before I do please let us all know your results

John W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Salem New Jersey USA

A. Hello All! I don't know how to get this answer to everyone looking for tires but if you like this option please pass it on. Grab a wheel and go to your nearest NAPA or parts store. Now find just the right size and shape pulley belt. A lot of times they have rolls of different sizes and you can make your own. You can let them finish them for you or buy a length, cut to size, and use the clips that are used for the old sewing machine belts. That's if your too cheap to let them cut and finish them like I am. Hope this helps go luck. ALSO.... if you clean them good with alcohol they'll hold paint.

Joshua Armstrong
Period Details Antiques - Mechanic Falls, Maine USA

A. White Wall Rubber Tire Paint.

William Bond
- Reelsville, Indiana USA

Q. Where can I find the rubber for a wooden wheel on a baby buggy about 6 inch in diameter 1/2 wide?

Harold Smith
- Taylor, Michigan

Q. I am restoring a 30+ year old Perego Baby Carriage. The body is white and the hood is blue. The body has a lot of yellow stains and some brown. What is the best way to clean it up?

Teresa Lustberg
- Farmingdale, New York

I am still using an old but well kept pram. I would like to purchase new hub covers for the spoke wheels.
Please advise.

Harry van Steijn
- Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Q. We have an antique baby doll carriage with Schwarz name plate needing restoration. The metal wheels are rusting and the tire area is missing. The interior is leather and needs restoration. I would like to email picture for your input. Please give me an email address.

Dave and Jean Wolfe
- Stamford, Connecticut usa

A. Hi Dave & Jean. You can e-mail pics to for posting here, but we are a website not a restoration shop, and we don't know who offers such services.

Q. I have a 1961 Restmor baby pram. The hood has been off and was stored in the garage for years. I can't figure out how to re-attatch the hood. What holds it on? One of the pram knobs is missing. I don't see any screw holes so I was wondering if the knob is all that holds the hood on the body?

Priscilla

Priscilla Mathis
- Banning, California USA

Q. Hello, I'm restoring a 1940's Taylor Tot stroller and am stuck on finding the white ribbed rubber hose that covers the bumpers. It's 1/2" OD hose. Any help would be appreciated !

Billy Youngman
- Charlotte North Carolina

Q. One wheel won't stay attached to a 1960's (I believe) pram or stroller I have. I would like to make it fully functional for my son that will be born in June 2020.

Curt Hillgardner
- Innisfail Alberta canada

Circlips / Retaining Rings

A. Hi Curt. I think we'd need some good photos (to mooney@finishing.com) to understand your situation, but if there are grooves in the axle, it could be as simple as a missing circlip available from the hardware store for a quarter or so.

Thanks Ted, I believe that I have it figured out now.
One picture is a well missing the "clip", and the other is not missing the clip.

38809-8a   38809-8c   38809-8b  

I will be working on this, so any other tips on what is the best way to restore it would be appreciated!

Curt Hillgardner [returning]
- Innisfail Alberta canada

A. Hi. It appears that the carriage uses hardened specialty tooth-washers which press on to the shaft and are angled such that they dig in to the shaft and stay. If you have the four of them, you're in good shape. If not you'll have to see what the hardware store has. If they have nothing at all along those lines, maybe a Belleville washer and a drill for a cotter pin.

I'm neither carriage expert nor hobbyist, nor frankly have much interest in them :-)
I just administer this 60,000-page site, and encourage those people who are interested in carriages to build a community here by helping each other; but alas we're not seeing a whole lot of that, mostly just their own questions :-(

Q. To Whom, bought a vintage baby doll carriage at a thrift store.
Trying to clean it up and soften the canvas.
What would you recommend to soften the canvas that wouldn't be too expensive and that I could do myself?

Robyn Schmitt
retired - Parkville, Maryland